Rate the race: 2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Debates and polls

What did you think of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix? Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (2%)
  • 2 (2%)
  • 3 (4%)
  • 4 (7%)
  • 5 (16%)
  • 6 (24%)
  • 7 (28%)
  • 8 (9%)
  • 9 (4%)
  • 10 (4%)

Total Voters: 490

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

234 comments on Rate the race: 2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

1. adzz36 (@adzz36) said on 13th November 2011, 17:31

I gave it a 4. No real contest for the lead, the battle for 3rd flattered to deceive after the early laps, midfield battles were mainly down to DRS, which I thought was ridiculously easy on this circuit. As a comment above me mentioned, the FIA should concentrate on encouraging close racing, not inventing artificial overtaking. The DRS has again left me feeling that it’s nice to see overtaking, but I almost feel ashamed to watch that happening in my favourite sport in a way.

It surprises me that most people are giving it 6s and 7s, but I think that’s mainly because “it wasn’t bad for Abu Dhabi”. We’ve had much better races this year given lower scores.

It’s nice to see Hamilton win again, but in terms of the actual racing, it didn’t make a lot of difference.

2. sebsronnie (@sebsronnie) said on 13th November 2011, 17:45

I find it interesting in a sad way that it has been virtually impossible to see a fight for the win. Initially thought it was all about Vettel, but Lewis demonstrated today that any top-notch driver who happens to be leading after 5 laps will somehow maintain a gap to the pack. With this in mind, surely the race wasn’t that different from the vast majority of races this year. The only difference was the car/driver in front…

3. matty55 (@matty55) said on 13th November 2011, 17:49

I gave it a 7. Vettel going off at turn 1 added a bit of excitement although I agree I would have loved to see him fight through the field. Some very good battles in the midfield pack. I think DRS was good and bad. Good in the sense that it helped make overtaking possible and bad in the sense that the got the positions a bit wrong so that most overtakes made in the first zone was cancelled out in the second one.

Roll on Brazil!!!

4. 4/10 – pretty boring really. Vettel retiring took about 1/3 of any good fight at the front away and we might have been able to find out if McLaren was really better than Red Bull today. KERS issues kept Button slower but no real dog-fights at the front other than Massa/Weber for a few laps. The race struggled to a 4 for the tire strategy Weber took, the little scrap, Button slowing and looking vulnerable, and that’s it. The rest of the pack are in a differnt league and we did not see much coverage of them anyway. Pretty boring circuit overall, despite the pretty lights. And the “suspense” whether someone will pile it in that pit tunnel.

5. 9 was good 10-1 thats for vettel ret.

6. cduk_mugello (@cduk_mugello) said on 13th November 2011, 18:53

Nearly half of the people who have voted rated the race 7+. Are you crazy?! 7 out of ten?! In my book that means it’s a great race, loads of real overtaking, different strategies, not many boring moments.

Jog on.

• Estesark (@estesark) said on 13th November 2011, 19:34

I totally agree. I mentioned it already in an earlier comment. As of right now, 17 people gave it 10/10, which must mean they considered it to be one of the best F1 races in history.

Somehow I doubt that in years to come, people will rank Abu Dhabi 2011 alongside Brazil 2008, Japan 2005, Belgium 2000 Europe 1993, Spain 1986…

Oh well, everyone’s entitled to an opinion, even if their opinion is wrong.

• AdrianMorse (@adrianmorse) said on 13th November 2011, 20:36

I guess it depends on how you rate races. For myself, I would not quickly give a race lower than a 6, and if I did, it would mean that F1 had somehow underperformed for me that day. However, I enjoy almost all races I watch, and I enjoyed this one too. There were battles on track, in the pits, and on strategy, and seeing Hamilton win just put a big smile back on my face. Perhaps we have been spoiled with action-packed races this year, but in years past there was often also not that much action on track. I enjoyed watching then, and I enjoy watching now.

• cduk_mugello (@cduk_mugello) said on 13th November 2011, 22:14

I get your point. For me too, I enjoy all the races. But the point is that I enjoy some more than others.

What was there to get really excited about in this race though? Hamilton wasn’t really made to work for his win, he had bags of time in hand over Alonso. All the ‘overtakes’ came courtesy of the DRS – no real skill was involved.

Let’s be honest, to rate this more than a 7 is a joke.

• Dave_F1 said on 13th November 2011, 21:16

“loads of real overtaking”

Where was that then? All the ‘passing’ I saw was artificial because of the Dumb Racing Solution!

7. toddjamin (@toddjamin) said on 13th November 2011, 19:09

7. webber made it

8. Mable Mable arms off the table said on 13th November 2011, 19:20

I am so glad Vettel DNF’d once I saw him take the lead I was picking up my remote to turn off the TV (i’d rather go back to sleep than watch him take a 15 second lead and cruise to victory) then boom he was out and at least you saw more interesting pit strategy when it came to P1

9. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 13th November 2011, 19:27

I must admit, we had a little few battles which were more than just DRS passing/repassing, but I think @Keith Collantine, said it best above:

That wasn’t racing, that was like watching cars on a motorway.

And since I would never even consider to watch a motorway for leisure, I cannot give any more points than this. Here the bad outweighs the good for me.

Furthermore, on DRS / tracks:
    – if a track produces bad races, it should be altered or never host a race again
    – DRS should be adjusted or banned for boring tracks. For classic tracks it should be banned; I have said before that I liked it in Barcelona, where it added to the suspense. The defending party shouldn’t become a sitting duck, but instead have a really hard time defending against the other car. I know that this also depends on the two cars and drivers involved, I mean Schumacher is always hard to pass, but I have a thourough dislike for the flying past ‘action’ we saw today.

10. KeeleyObsessed (@keeleyobsessed) said on 13th November 2011, 20:42

7/10, seemingly agreeing with the majority here..

For a track that’s received far more than it’s fair share of criticism this year, I think the race exceeded expectations.. The only thing I can say that really let us down is Vettel’s retirement.. Me and my Dad were watching in anticipation to see if he could get back to the pits to just put on a fresh pair of tyres and try and cut through the field.. I guess we’ll never know if we were robbed of Vettel’s best performance yet..

Also, a shame he’s now missed out on Schumi’s 2004 record and Clarks percentage record.. Knowing how fascinated Vettel is about those stats, he’ll be very disappointed to retire so early.. Something like that only really comes once in a career, I’d be surprised if Vettel manages domination like this year’s in 2012

11. Im not sure that the poor races at Abu Dhabi have all been down to the actual circuit design.

There was 2 GP2 races this weekend & both were brilliant & featured lots of real overtaking without the need of silly gimmicks. Past GP2 races here have also been pretty good with a fair bit of overtaking.

Other categories I have seen race the full GP circuit have also been pretty good, Its just been the F1 races which have been poor.

12. ajokay (@ajokay) said on 13th November 2011, 21:44

Five. There was nothing special about that race. The Pirelli ‘cliff’ has been eroded away into a gentle incline, the double DRS just left everyone back where they started and none of the drivers were clever enough to wait until the second of them to overtake for the first time.

And all the sunsets and sparkly hotels in the world were ever going to change that.

13. sbl on tour (@sbl-on-tour) said on 13th November 2011, 21:56

first few laps were good, gave it a five, on reflection that seems a bit high, fell asleep about lap 40 – 47, woke up to see nothing had changed,good to see hamilton back to his best
    I think the cameras missed a few tricks as there were some good close up shots going through the chicanes, but not enough were shown.
    didnt watch the red button, went out to the garden to play catch up

14. sbl on tour (@sbl-on-tour) said on 13th November 2011, 22:00

nearly forgot, it was good not to see horners foot for once!!!!
    in fact it was good not to see horner (and marko)at all, so for that reason alone i,ll change from a 5 to a 6!!

15. I think the problem is in how the poll is structured. Many people compare a 10 point system to grades and in different places grades are different – USA: 7/10 = average, in Britain, Canada etc it’s 6/10. Others compare to a bell-shaped distribution and see 5.5 as the middle (5 above and 5 choices below middle) and so rate 6 as average since they can’t score 5.5.

Maybe the polls should have a diffferent scale – out of 7 like marketing surveys, with 7 perfect, 1 the worst ever, and 4 average. On that scale I’d give this race a 3. Maybe a 4 on a very charitable day. We’ve had a run of really lean years though, so overall maybe our audience standards have slipped? Look up “French Grand Prix Villeneuve Arnoux” on youtube and you’ll see my point if you don’t remember action!

On the plus side, Button and Weber did bang wheels today so I raise my original score to a 5.