Daniel Ricciardo had a good run for HRT before his car failed close to the end of the race.
|Daniel Ricciardo||Vitantonio Liuzzi|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q1)||1’44.641 (-0.518)||1’45.159|
HRT drivers’ lap times throughout the race (in seconds):
|Pit stop 1||Soft 21.693s|
|Pit stop 2||Medium 23.192s|
In his tenth F1 start Ricciardo started ahead of one of the Virgins and passed the other at the first corner. But he slipped back behind them and his team mate over the course of the first lap, admitting: “There were a few moves that I should have maybe committed to a bit stronger.”
He passed Jerome D’Ambrosio on lap four and briefly got ahead of his team mate as the two Saubers came past them, only to lose the place again.
But he got back ahead of Liuzzi through the pit stops and – despite having made one more stop than his team mate – was still running ahead of his team mate when he retired with a broken alternator on his 49th lap.
|Pit stop 1||Medium 21.247s|
Liuzzi was plagued by a suspension problem on Saturday and qualified half a second behind his team mate.
He suffered a repeat of the problem in the race and brought the car home last, two laps down.
2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
- Hamilton voted Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Driver of the Weekend
- Rate the race result: 2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
- Pirelli say tyre failure did not cause Vettel retirement
- Vote for your Abu Dhabi GP driver of the weekend
- McLaren: Relief for Hamilton after return to winning ways
- Ferrari: Slow pit stop costs Alonso shot at victory
- Red Bull: Mystery puncture halts the Vettel steamroller
- Mercedes: Rosberg comes out ahead after first-lap scrap
- Force India: Team tightens grasp on sixth in championship
- Sauber: Kobayashi ends seven-race drought