Kamui Kobayashi scored his first point since the German Grand Prix.
|Kamui Kobayashi||Sergio Perez|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q2)||1’41.240 (+0.366)||1’40.874|
Sauber drivers’ lap times throughout the race (in seconds):
|Pit stop 1||Soft 19.833s|
|Pit stop 2||Soft 23.108s|
Kobayashi was four-tenths of a second off his team mate in qualifying which made a difference of five places – he started 16th.
Starting on the medium tyres, he slipped back initially and was demoted to 14th by Heikki Kovalainen on lap five. He pitted for softs soon after.
That began a long climb from the back of the field, which included passing his own team mate on lap 12, unseen by the cameras, while his team mate was on the harder tyres.
This proved a decisive pass as it was Kobayashi who ultimately came out on top in their battle for the final points place. “I have had a pretty long period without scoring and for me it was important to put an end to this,” he said.
|Pit stop 1||Medium 24.654s|
|Pit stop 2||Soft 19.979s|
Perez was particularly pleased with his qualifying effort: “I?óÔé¼Ôäóm very happy with 11th in qualifying. Everybody in the team did a good job.
“I did my fastest lap time in Q2 with a set of soft tyres I had used before in Q1.”
He made a good start, passing Paul di Resta, and was trying to pass the other Force India of Adrian Sutil at the hairpin when he was caught out by how quickly the pack slowed. He ran into the back of Sutil and broke his front wing.
Perez didn’t realise the extent of the damage first and at wasn’t until the end of the second lap that he came in for a replacement wing. That left him at the back of the pack with his team mate. Trying to minimise the damage to his race, the team put him on the medium compounds tyres.
He came in for his final pit stop on lap 27, switching back to softs. However his tyres went off towards the end of the stint – the loss of time aggravated by a KERS failure 12 laps from home – and he finished the race under pressure from Rubens Barrichello.
2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
- Hamilton voted Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Driver of the Weekend
- Rate the race result: 2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
- Pirelli say tyre failure did not cause Vettel retirement
- Vote for your Abu Dhabi GP driver of the weekend
- McLaren: Relief for Hamilton after return to winning ways
- Ferrari: Slow pit stop costs Alonso shot at victory
- Red Bull: Mystery puncture halts the Vettel steamroller
- Mercedes: Rosberg comes out ahead after first-lap scrap
- Force India: Team tightens grasp on sixth in championship
- Sauber: Kobayashi ends seven-race drought
Image ?é?® Sauber F1 Team