Sebastien Buemi retired for third time in four races in Abu Dhabi.
|Sebastien Buemi||Jaime Alguersuari|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q2)||1’41.009 (-0.153)||1’41.162|
Toro Rosso drivers’ lap times throughout the race (in seconds):
Yas Marina’s many slow corners did not flatter the STR6’s recent updates in the way India or Korea had. Buemi was the team’s highest qualifier, starting 13th.
He made several attempts to pass Paul di Resta in the first DRS zone early on in the race. Di Resta was repeatedly able to re-pass Buemi in the second DRS zone.
Eventually Di Resta ran wide at turn 11 have completed one of his re-passes, handing the place to Buemi.
But the Toro Rosso driver retired soon after. Buemi explained: “I had to retire because of a loss of fluid from the hydraulic system, which I first felt through the lack of power steering, as this is what makes the most demand on the hydraulics.
“After that, I could not change gear so there was nothing to do but bring the car into the pits and retire.”
This is his second consecutive retirement due to a technical problem and it comes at a critical time for the Toro Rosso drivers as Red Bull seek to promote Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne into F1.
Toro Rosso had previously said Vergne will drive in first practice at the next race in the car of whichever driver has the least points. Buemi has lost this contest partly due to his three retirements in the last four races, none of which were his fault.
|Pit stop 1||Medium 43.574s|
|Pit stop 2||Soft 21.363s|
Buemi wasn’t the only Toro Rosso driver to suffer some misfortune – a slow pit stopped spoiled Alguersuari’s race, costing him around 24 seconds and dropping him to last place.
He was handed a time penalty after the race for failing to observe blue flags, though it made no difference to his finishing position, 15th.
Drove Buemi’s car in first practice.
2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
- Hamilton voted Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Driver of the Weekend
- Rate the race result: 2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
- Pirelli say tyre failure did not cause Vettel retirement
- Vote for your Abu Dhabi GP driver of the weekend
- McLaren: Relief for Hamilton after return to winning ways
- Ferrari: Slow pit stop costs Alonso shot at victory
- Red Bull: Mystery puncture halts the Vettel steamroller
- Mercedes: Rosberg comes out ahead after first-lap scrap
- Force India: Team tightens grasp on sixth in championship
- Sauber: Kobayashi ends seven-race drought
Image ?é?® Red Bull/Getty images