Williams’ dreadful season hit a new low in Abu Dhabi with the worst qualifying performance in the team’s history.
|Rubens Barrichello||Pastor Maldonado|
|Qualifying time comparison (None)||No time|
Williams drivers’ lap times throughout the race (in seconds):
|Pit stop 1||Soft 24.219s|
|Pit stop 2||Soft 20.534s|
Barrichello had a weekend fraught with setbacks. An engine oil problem caused his engine to shut down in first practice before he had set a timed lap.
It got no better on Saturday as he suffered another oil leak and was unable to set a time in qualifying.
He started the race well on the medium compound tyres and was up to 17th by the end of lap one. While others who started on the same tyres made early pit stops to get rid of them, Barrichello stayed out until lap 18 before switching to softs.
The right-rear tyre was slow to go on at the stop, costing him around five seconds. That probably cost him a place to Sebastien Buemi, but the Toro Rosso retired on the next lap anyway.
Barrichello passed Vitaly Petrov on his way to finishing 12th, which has been par for the course for Williams in the second half of the season.
|Pit stop 1||Soft 20.201s|
Maldonado qualified 17th but his engine change penalty demoted him to the back row along with his team mate.
He picked up a further two penalties during the race as the stewards decided he failed to observe blue flags telling him to let cars that were lapping him past. He had a drive-through penalty and was handed a 30-second time penalty after the race, though it made no different to his finishing position.
2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
- Hamilton voted Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Driver of the Weekend
- Rate the race result: 2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
- Pirelli say tyre failure did not cause Vettel retirement
- Vote for your Abu Dhabi GP driver of the weekend
- McLaren: Relief for Hamilton after return to winning ways
- Ferrari: Slow pit stop costs Alonso shot at victory
- Red Bull: Mystery puncture halts the Vettel steamroller
- Mercedes: Rosberg comes out ahead after first-lap scrap
- Force India: Team tightens grasp on sixth in championship
- Sauber: Kobayashi ends seven-race drought
Image ?é?® Williams/LAT