Whitmarsh: Hamilton ‘underestimated Button’

2011 F1 season

Jenson Button, Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, Hungaroring, 2011

Hamilton and Button battle for position in Hungary

Martin Whitmarsh says Lewis Hamilton underestimated the threat posed by Jenson Button.

Button joined the team last year and this season became the first of Hamilton’s team mates to beat him in the championship standings in F1.

Asked by the official F1 website if Hamilton underestimated Button, the McLaren team principal said: “Possibly. He probably did, yes.

“Let?óÔéĽÔäós be open about it. Lewis, throughout his career, has destroyed every team mate that?óÔéĽÔäós come his way.

“Bear in mind that in many ways he virtually destroyed Fernando Alonso when Fernando was a two-time world champion and Lewis was a rookie. He did the same with Nico Rosberg in karting frankly – and every other team mate on his way into Formula 1.

“He was disarmed by Jenson at the beginning and he probably thought that he was a nice guy, but he?óÔéĽÔäód beat him. And he was probably surprised. Jenson on the other hand is of course also keen to beat his team mate but he would never do it in an underhand manner.

“For both drivers it?óÔéĽÔäós true that there are no politics involved and both want to contribute equally to the team. Of course when you join a team as a driver and know that I have known Lewis since he was 11 you might question whether you would be treated equally.

“But all the talk about who is the number one driver in the team is media-made, as McLaren have always been a team that let their drivers race. That is our spirit and we remain true to it.”

Whitmarsh added: “for Lewis, by his own extraordinary standards, it?óÔéĽÔäós been a disappointing year. Lewis expects more from himself and the world expects more from Lewis, so this season has been very challenging for him. There?óÔéĽÔäós been a lot going on in his life.”

He said Button’s style leads people to underestimate him: “Jenson on the other hand is a person that is easily underestimated.

“You could ask whether he really is a fighter and whether he has the hunger, because he has such superb manner. Sometimes that might be a worry before you know him better, but I have to say that I know him a lot better now.

“You only have to stand back to see how hard he?óÔéĽÔäós raced and how hard he pushed in Canada for his incredible win. It was raw determination.

“He has his battles with Lewis and wants to beat Lewis and that?óÔéĽÔäós as we want it to be. I think we have a very good dynamic in the team because I know that teams can often talk about tranquillity and relationships in a team and put some spin on it, but I think that anyone who witnesses our drivers sees that there is genuine respect there.

“Even in the heat of the moment like in Canada where Lewis could have been easy meat for the media he showed extraordinary maturity and the way it was handled spoke volumes about the relationship in the team and especially between the two guys.”

2011 F1 season

Browse all 2011 F1 season articles

Image ?é?® McLaren

188 comments on Whitmarsh: Hamilton ‘underestimated Button’

1 2 3
  1. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 16th November 2011, 16:13

Hope this isn’t seen as a try to grab the headlines or to put pressure on Hamilton, because I think all the points he made are quite valid ones.

• Klaas (@klaas) said on 16th November 2011, 16:29

Yep, he pleased both drivers – hailed Button and supported Lewis lame excuse for poor results (it’s all Nicole Scherzinger’s fault for me crashing into everything).

2. nivek252 (@nivek252) said on 16th November 2011, 16:15

Hello, “David, move aside for Mika”

3. LSL1337 (@lsl1337) said on 16th November 2011, 16:30

Hamilton Destroyed Alonso, when was that exactly?
    oh you mean they had the same amount of points?
    only in the UK…

• Klaas (@klaas) said on 16th November 2011, 16:43

Just leave it this way, everyone has their own truth. Can’t you see they even have let their drivers race each other…always…

• JCost (@jcost) said on 17th November 2011, 7:22

Maybe “destroy” is too strong, but Lewis was a bloody rookie while Alonso was 2xWDC! Lewis almost made it in his first attempt, that’s noteworthy Sir.

• electrolite (@electrolite) said on 16th November 2011, 16:45

No not only in the UK. Points aside (and Hamilton was classed as ahead for more second places) it’s pretty destroying mentally to be beaten by a rookie as you’ve just been crowned a double world champion. Alonso fled back to Renault and was clearly rattling during the 2007 season by the whole thing. It takes quite a lot to do that to Fernando Alonso. “In many ways” – this is probably what Whitmarsh meant.

• macperks said on 16th November 2011, 18:44

The 2007 season was a bad year for Alonso, starting in a new british team with a british team mate, almost a son for the team manager, who never acted as such. Saying things like “we were fighting Alonso” soon showed who was getting full support of the team. The british press made the rest… Despite that, Alonso was the last to laugh, in the podium in Brazil 2007, never a Ferrari win tasted so sweet… I mean, Hamilton is an excellent driver, and now better than before, but being realistic, if they were team mates back then in another team, they would have never ended with the same amount of points.

• Racehound said on 16th November 2011, 19:28

that is a great point! ….if they were teammates back then in another team, they would have never ended with the same amount of points. Personally I believe that, Fernando is widely regarded as still the best driver today! There is a lot of symathy up and down the pitlane about the dilemna Alonso found himself in at McRons 07. He coulda been a 5 time winner by niow if not for the wasted year at McMicks.

• JustOnePint said on 16th November 2011, 20:16

Yep, I’ve been watching F1 for over 40 years now and never enjoyed a race like Brazil 07. In 05 and 06 I supported Fernando but in 07 I would have hated to see hin win because it would have been a victory for McL. The face of the loathsome Ron Dennis when Kimi/Ferrari won was something out of this world.

On the other hand, if I could erase just one GP from history it would be Brazil 08. After that, I stopped watching F1 for most of 09, for the first time in 40 years.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 16th November 2011, 22:52

I can’t imagine stopping watching F1 just because I didn’t enjoy the result of the previous championship. Ironically you missed all of McLaren’s worst race results in ages and must have tuned back in around the time they had come back on form.

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 17th November 2011, 2:47

I agree with you… I’m 27 but I’ve been F1 for 22 years by now and I would erase just the last lap, not the whole race… but you can say fate brought the WDC to Lewis for the stealing of points in Belgium… It’s like finishing even. Even though I can’t imagine Massa as a champion not even in a nightmare

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 17th November 2011, 10:12

Even though I can’t imagine Massa as a champion not even in a nightmare

Haha. Some people thought at the time that Button shouldn’t have been a champion, but I think had Massa become champion it would have seemed very strange, and slightly terrifying.

• Shrieker (@shrieker) said on 17th November 2011, 5:27

“if they were team mates back then in another team, they would have never ended with the same amount of points.”

Complete and utter BS. Yes Hamilton was supported in the second half of the season after Alonso decided to blackmail Ron Dennis and the team fell out with him. But in the first half Alonso was clearly being favored. In Melbourne Hamilton was in 2nd and the team moved Alonso ahead in the pitstops, it was so blatant. And then at monaco, when Lewis started to hassle Alonso he was told to cool it down. You Alonso fans love telling half the story.

• macperks said on 17th November 2011, 10:34

Alonso decided to blackmail his own team after his team favoured Hamilton in the Hungarygate when he disobeyed the agreement made before qualy. He told the truth, unlike his impetuous team mate who never knew nothing about the Spygate (can you believe this?)

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 17th November 2011, 10:38

after his team favoured Hamilton in the Hungarygate

I don’t see how you discern McLaren showing Hamilton any favouritism in that episode.

Hamilton didn’t slow down to let Alonso pass him in qualifying as the team had apparently told him to, so Alonso impeded Hamilton in the pits, so the FIA penalised Alonso and McLaren. Where are you seeing the McLaren “favouritism” towards Hamilton in that?

• Keith he was told to let alonso threw in the fuel saving phase as mclaren had split tactics. Alonso was to go faster in the fuel save to burn a extra lap of fuel, lewis was to do the reverse.

Ferrari had done exactly the same thing with good effect in france. where kimi went flat out in fuel save to gain an extra lap.

lewis was on a different strategy so should of let fernando passed. he was losing nothing by letting him by. It wasnt a race.

Fernando’s response wasnt right. but it was no different to what lewis had done to him.

Though many fans/journalists have chosen to forget or didnt understand the strategy to why lewis was to let alonso by.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 17th November 2011, 11:49

I acknowledged all of that in my comment and none of it proves McLaren “favouritism” towards Hamilton.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 17th November 2011, 7:24

I don’t buy it! Why should they pay Alonso so much money to destroy (in purpose) his career? Please!

• Lewis did amazing in 07. But he has never reached them performances since.

so the whole ‘rookie’ element is irrelevant. If he had moved forward as a driver considerably since then, then it would be a good point. But he hasnt at all.

What he had in 07 was consistency, what he currently lacks is consistency.

He could do himself a favour and look back at what he was doing then.

• sato113 (@sato113) said on 16th November 2011, 16:59

2007-
      Alonso- 2 time, current world champion, 6 years in the sport
      Hamilton- 17 races, rookie year

both on 109 points at seasons end. same car.

• sato113 (@sato113) said on 16th November 2011, 17:00

make that 7 years in the sport for alonso (2001-2007)

• JustOnePint said on 16th November 2011, 20:08

You can say what you want but after Hungary it was not the same car, not even close. Fernando’s was a jalopy with a McL livery. I am surprised that Ron didn’t put a limpet bomb under it.

• Damn funny man… but i guess in many ways McLaren lost an opportunity of a lifetime, and a driver of the caliber of Alonso for ever perhaps. I wouldn’t blame Alonso if he couldn’t get himself to join Macca to save his life for that matter. It was priceless to see Ferrari on top in ’07, especially sweet as in 4 races one man couldn’t score half a dozen points in what was the fastest car on the grid by a mile. To top it off, his team mate was bogged down by management, and couldn’t catch a break. Masterclass eh :P

• Outsider said on 17th November 2011, 0:14

Not everybody has the luck to given a favourable drive in top car as a rookie. Some people had to start their careers at Minardi, regularly punching above the car’s capability. Also, some people had to serve as test driver and work and develop with the team over a number of years to become double world champion.

Of course it took 6 years to do that, but hey, your boy wins the title in 2 years, brilliant!

For the sake of argument, most people on this site rubbished Romain Grosjean when he raced for Renault a couple years ago. Now he’s a GP2 champion. So lets just say, once again for the sake of argument, that he gets Mark Webber’s drive next year…and ties on points with Vettel, would we all put our hands up and say that Romain destroyed Vettel and he is one of the best drivers to have ever sat in a formula one car?

I suspect not, I can guarantee that most people will just say it was down to the car.

• Eggry (@eggry) said on 16th November 2011, 17:27

Alonso was definitely destroyed in some ways. I think it was more destructive than Senna did to Prost.(Don’t get me wrong. I don’t think Senna destroyed Prost, but surely Prost had been damaged huguly.) However I think it does made him more interesting character which is whom we knows now. Don’t you think today’s Alonso is not only more mature than that time but today’s Hamilton either?

• I think Alonso is more mature than in 2007, @eggry, but I think Hamilton isn’t. I believe if they were partnered right now Alonso would beat Hamilton, although it would be very close if Hamilton kept his 2011 errors aside.

• Eggry (@eggry) said on 16th November 2011, 17:49

@Fixy Yeah, I don’t think Hamilton is more mature than 2008(I thinks he was slightly more mature than 2007) while Alonso is. This is not just about another Senna : Prost – Hamilton : Alonso argument. This is about Hamilton’s sustainability. even If there’s no Alonso, there’s still some drivers Hamilton should’t cope with them in the way he’s doing.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 16th November 2011, 19:23

Alonso is, after the blow to his confidence and world view he suffered from 2007 he has now grown a stronger driver from it.

Hamilton is having a bit of a similar shock to his system now from Button not being beaten by him, I guess. I think he will grow stronger from it as well.

• I think he is showing signs of being grown out it looking at the Abu Dhabi race…let’s see him in Brazil…

• Lewis better come up the curve. Not since early 90′s did you have 7-8 top level drivers on the grid. If he doesn’t it is bye bye McLaren. On the other hand, Lewis himself doesn’t find himself too comfortable at the moment, what with a strong team mate. I wonder how it will go, whether McLaren will get another driver first, or Lewis will jump ship instead.

One more thing which will weigh heavily against Lewis is his tendency to make silly mistakes. Like or loathe it, most of his DNF’s over the almost 5 years he’s been in F1 were by and large his own mistakes.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 17th November 2011, 7:33

Considering Alonso’s 2010 and 2011 season, I guess it would be close but in his favour, but Lewis is damn fast, Alonso said it last weekend.

I don’t think Lewis will have another year like this, he will sort that out and be up there again.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 16th November 2011, 23:52

Hamilton Destroyed Alonso, when was that exactly?
      oh you mean they had the same amount of points?

Hamilton did not ‘destroy’ Alonso. as you rightly point out, they tied on points. Hamilton was only considered to have finished ahead of Alonso on count-back. Hamilton had five second-place finishes while Alonso had four. If you want to see one driver ‘destroy’ another, look at this year’s standings: Vettel has 374 points to Webber’s 233.

Of course, say whatever you have to say in order to convince yourself that Hamilton is not in any danger from Button, despite evidence – ie Canada and Hungary – to the contrary.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 17th November 2011, 5:15

@Prisoner-Monkeys

I’d also add Turkey to that. Hamilton only beat him because he had a better strategy, as it turned out. Actually, in most races this year he’s destroyed his team-mate. He’s always at the front while Lewis is busy fighting his way through the mid-field and getting penalties.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 17th November 2011, 7:39

I think being Hamilton a rookie it was not expectable to be tied on point s with 2xWDC. Plus, he would’ve become WDC in China, but McL missed the time to pit him, then he chocked in Brazil and Massa gave a hand to Kimi letting him pass.
        A combination of bad luck and personal mistake stopped him to become WDC in 2007.

• Bad luck is when car mechanically fails you, not when you shunt the car… the car didn’t fail Lewis, instead he choked, big time!!! Nevertheless, he found himself in all the politics, not the right place to be for a rookie in a competitive sport like F1. Ron was actually backing Lewis, and i don’t blame Lewis for being selfish. No driver in any series is going to go: “no favouritism, treat us equally!” Also, if the team is backing you, you’re expected to better than the other guy in the other car of the team.

Moving forward, Lewis has to rise above all this menagerie and get his act sorted, and soon. Button is good, and is only getting better with time. There are a lot of other drivers who are also clamouring for attention, and mind you, F1 never had it so good since early 90′s.

• David BR (@david-br) said on 17th November 2011, 12:35

@ Prisoner Monkeys, obviously Whitmarsh knows they had equal points at the end of the season! I think he’s paid to notice details like that. ‘Virtually destroyed’ clearly refers to the psychological effect. On evidence, I’d say that’s a fair assessment.

• UKFan (@) said on 16th November 2011, 23:55

Whitmarsh has “Hard Feelings”.

4. damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 16th November 2011, 16:31

I think a lot of people underestimate Button. I think it’s fair that Lewis underestimated him to begin with. Jenson doesn’t come with any of the ego or extra baggage that many drivers have. He doesn’t get hyped up by the media or have the tabloids write about him in a biased way to make him seem amazing (although apparently it has happened in the UK before, though I’ve not seen any of it first-hand). He goes about his job quietly and does it well, getting the points he needs and always being in with a shot at the title. Last year he was supreme and about to eat into the leaders’ margin a bit more in Spa before he was taken out of the title race. This year he’s been the equal second best driver – along with Fernando.

I like Jenson because he’s a genuinely nice guy, completely unaffected by his success, he’s not hyped, he’s not arrogant, he’s funny, he’s intelligent, and his style of racing is incredibly interesting as it always sees him finish at the pointy end.

Some say he’s “boring” or “slow” or whatever, but it really doesn’t matter what he is when he’s achieving what he is. Actually, some of the stuff I read on Twitter has to be seen to be believed. It’s hilarious.

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 16th November 2011, 21:01

Definitely agree with this: I have never had high hopes for Jenson, even after he won his world championship. But I have to say he has blown me away the past two years. Especially what’s going on in his head is remarkable: gently bringing in the points, not getting greedy, always remaining as cool as his mustache looked last Sunday. He has come a long way and I definitely think he is one of the most underestimated drivers in F1: Lewis, please watch you back (or Jenson’s back in most races)

• Silverkeg (@silverkeg) said on 16th November 2011, 23:29

I completely agree, I was definately one of those that underestimated Jenson, but he has been simply superb.

I am sternly not a McLaren fan but find myself enjoying Buttons drives and wins. The way he goes about his business is great. He is genuinely likeable and respectable.

• electrolite (@electrolite) said on 17th November 2011, 0:41

Some say he’s “boring” or “slow” or whatever

He’s often been very pacy during Grands Prix this year, if not the only one on Vettel’s pace or catching him up. Not just in wet races either, as he’s particularly shown people this year.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 17th November 2011, 5:19

@Electrolite

Indeed. Suzuka was perhaps the best example. The track suited Red Bull and Vettel, yet Button completely outpaced him and managed to get the overcut (?) on him simply through being faster.

His best win was Canada, but I’d put Suzuka as his second best.

5. dubsix said on 16th November 2011, 16:49

Whitmarsh has got to start to learn when to zip it.. he comments often seem unnecessary and often does damage to the team dynamics.

6. JUGNU (@jugnu) said on 16th November 2011, 16:53

“There’s been a lot going on in his life”

That was enough. Why so many unnecessary comments Mr Whitmarsh. Lewis needs support right now and that comments are not very encouraging. Maybe Whitmarsh doesn’t want it to go unnoticed that Button has beaten Hamilton this year and making a Point(personal) there.

I don’t think Button affected Lewis performance this year(maybe Vettel did). Lewis just had his own personal life problems that distracted him. Also was very unlucky at times and too many incidences with one particular driver(Massa) is also very uncommon and unseen in F1.

BTW i have read lots of comments in different websites suggesting that Whitmarsh personally doesn’t like Hamilton very much and was against him being chosen as race driver in 2007. And that now Button is his favorite of the two and would like Button to finish ahead of Hamilton.

I think there is some truth in this. And i hope if ever Lewis decides to leave Mclaren it is not because of Mr Whitmarsh but because of other reasons.

7. boy oh boy yet another question about lewis and jenson directed at whitmarsh, and yet another long winded downer on hamilton.

it must be the new craze. ar ethe media purposely trying to turn wwhitmarsh and hamilton against each other?

8. antonyob (@antonyob) said on 16th November 2011, 16:58

i dont think Whitmarsh has to zip anything apart from the obvious. If hes asked the question why not? Of course you dont have to read it.

And yes only in the UK would we say a rookie, who scored as many points as a double world champion at the peak of his powers, destroyed him. correct.

More importantly its worth noting that jenson has had career traumas of his own and not just for picking terrible teams or staying with terrible teams, signing and then buying himself out of contracts. Being outclassed by RALPH Schumacher and playboying it up too early in his career for many tastes.

9. John H (@john-h) said on 16th November 2011, 17:07

virtually destroyed Fernando Alonso

Hmmm, no he didn’t. And how did Hamilton underestimate Button exactly, did he tell Whitmarsh he didn’t rate him or something? Who knows. Isn’t it more that pretty much everyone underestimated Button and thought he’d be crushed.

Just one more comment, if McLaren think that building the team around Jenson is going to win championships then they are mistaken IMHO.

• daniel (@clappy123456789) said on 16th November 2011, 17:29

excactly dude hams worst season in f1 and u can see hes got his mojo back button wont win the championship at mclaren if hams their.

The facts are, due to a lot of unforced error, he is behind his teammate in points. But he has won 3 races, just as many, and has totally dominated Button in qualifying. He has even been 8 times on the front row, a shocking stat when you consider that a different team broke the poles record this year.

• Eggry (@eggry) said on 16th November 2011, 17:38

Well maybe Hamilton didn’t destroy Alonso but I think Mclaren and Hamilton did together. Whether you agree or not, I think Hamilton recreated Alonso by destroying him. If I like Hamilton, it should be one of reasons.

• Anti-RBR (@matt2208) said on 16th November 2011, 22:51

if McLaren think that building the team around Jenson is going to win championships then they are mistaken, Spot on mate.. they need Ham for the Championships.

• Let us look at Hamilton’s WDC year. He had the fastest car by a mile, and yet he won the race at the last corner of the last race. Now Button’s WDC year. Button had the fastest car on the grid, and he totally decimated everyone, fact is a lot of people here called it boring. Button doesn’t make silly mistakes like Hamilton has been over his 5 years in F1. Button is more consistent with the results and finishes the race without shenanigans, as long as the car works that is. If you look at things from the team’s point of view, they absolutely hate it when a driver throws away a result in a capable to win car. Lewis while he is possibly faster over a single lap, he isn’t as good a driver overall as Jenson Button!

• vishy (@vishy) said on 17th November 2011, 0:22

Button is just another also ran, he can do it if everything goes his way or else he is lost.

I really think McLaren are building the car more towards Button’s driving style than Hamilton’s. I feel Hamilton will leave McLaren in a few years.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 17th November 2011, 0:42

Button is a WDC, who competed for the title in 2010 and beaten LH in 2011. I believe LH is more talented than JB, but that doesn’t mean JB is an also-ran.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 17th November 2011, 5:22

I agree with @David-A

Lewis is naturally faster and more talented, but that doesn’t make him better. Being quick is only part of it. You have to finish races and stay out of trouble, plus use your brain. Lewis only seems to know how to go quick.

10. Carl27 said on 16th November 2011, 17:08

You could say that Hammo destroyed Fer, but you have to take many things into account. For example, half way the season, Alonso had his team racing against him, so those equal points have more value from my point of view.

• John H (@john-h) said on 16th November 2011, 17:11

I think Alonso scored more points than Hamilton in the second half of the season? If anything it probably spurred on Alonso even more.

• Absolutely right, Carl27. It was Lewis and Ron Dennis against Alonso in the second half. If anything, Alonso proved that he was a fighter as he’s proving this season. Now he’s fighting the car, in 2007 he was fighting the team.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 18th November 2011, 8:38

Carl27, I think the “destroyed” thing was what happened to Alonso’s mindset early in the year. He would have never even had a minutes thought, that he double WDC who beat Schumacher 2 years in a row could be beaten by some rookie kid before this happened in the first few races in 2007.
      It really got him off course and it really took him a couple of years (until late 2010) to get over it.

11. celeste (@celeste) said on 16th November 2011, 17:10

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

lol.

I don´t see anything wrong with MW answer…

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 17th November 2011, 5:09

Whitmarsh and Hamilton don’t seem to be getting along lately, do they? I never even considered that they mightn’t be fond of each other until recently. Ron was the one that employed Lewis, wasn’t he? I don’t think Martin likes Lewis as much as Ron did…

12. Eggry (@eggry) said on 16th November 2011, 17:31

There have been enough time and chance to think about this for Hamilton. We just need to wait for what would come from now. I have to admit Hamilton did well in Abu Dhabi but it doesn’t mean Hamilton is free from what he have been criticized this year. He still has to prove he gets better. We will see…

• lewymp4 (@lewymp4) said on 16th November 2011, 20:46

Wait for what?

At Korea Lewis had an exciting and fantastic duel with Webber, to finish 2nd behind Vettel.

Abu Dhabi…Won after managing his tires well, and controlling the pace against a determined effort brought forward by Fernando.

• Eggry (@eggry) said on 17th November 2011, 6:57

He can do drive fast and wheel to wheel very well but it doesn’t mean he’s very perfect driver. He was able to do it even in 2007. That’s not his weak point it’s just his strength.

13. in many ways he virtually destroyed Fernando Alonso

I think what Whitmarsh should have said is:

in many ways he and Ron Dennis virtually destroyed Fernando Alonso as I stood watching.”

I’m sure McLaren will one day regret having let Alonso go.

• Eggry (@eggry) said on 16th November 2011, 17:55

Didn’t Whitmarsh say Mclaren should deal with both of them much seriously before? I remember he said he regret what they did in 2007.

• Perhaps, Eggry. I don’t remember exactly.

If Button can do so much with the MP4-26, I think Alonso could have done much more had he stayed on. He could have made it a really worthy title contender even if he’d ultimately lose to the Vettel-Red Bull might.

14. P King said on 16th November 2011, 17:42

Hamilton has nothing to worry about regarding Button – after the difficult
    season he has had (and much of it was not Hamilton’s making), Button only managed to top Hamilton by a small margin.
    Either Whitmarsh is a loud mouth or he is trying to force Lewis out of the team. See
    “Hamilton clashes with McLaren team boss Whitmarsh again”

Whitmarsh must stop his incessant carping and political games aimed at Hamilton. I do really hope Hamilton leaves McLaren and goes to a team that trully appreciates his ability.

• PieLighter (@pielighter) said on 16th November 2011, 17:58

And Button has had 2 retirements due to technical failures, or have you forgotten that already? Hamilton has only retired this year through crashing. If Button had 100% reliability like Hamilton then Button’s lead over him would be even larger.

• P King said on 16th November 2011, 23:18

Button’s wins and points this season have been more due to luck than skill.

• To win, you have to finish first. Button has consistently delivered points finish while Lewis made some stupid mistakes, like finding Massa every other race. Button’s only undoing has been the team and the car, but he hasn’t let himself down really. If anything, everyone in the paddock really respects Button so much more as a driver than they ever did. Hamilton on the other hand… i bet he has regrets about not leaving as soon as Button arrived.

• daniel (@clappy123456789) said on 17th November 2011, 0:55

• David-A (@david-a) said on 17th November 2011, 0:24

Button’s wins and points this season have been more due to luck than skill.

I can’t stand delusions like this.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 18th November 2011, 10:31

Jenson luck? Part of it yes, part of it skill. Plus, we can say Lewis was lucky in Abu Dhabi too.

Sure Jenson is good, but I don’t think he’s better than Lewis. If McL gives them a car good enough to beat RB from the first race and keep it competitive throughout the season, I’d put my money on Lewis to claim WDC, not Jenson.

15. A lot of people criticizing Whitmarsh. Not that i agree with him over everything, especially Spygate and Liegate :P However, one feels sympathetic towards Whitmarsh in his current disposition. How was he supposed to answer this question? Everyone can check points tally and see Lewis is behind Button, and in a team which is largely known in the world as team Lewis since ’07. So there’s no room to run and hide. What if he chose not to answer. How do you think it will reflect on Lewis, or himself for that matter? The answer is most of us would have been baying for his blood.

Truth of the matter is, Button did get the better of Lewis. What held Button back from having a bigger gap to Lewis was team/ car. Both of Button’s DNF’s were result of car giving up on him. Lewis, no matter how much his fans point at Nicole or Massa, is up for some blame. He has been in such situations since he made his debut, where he threw away a great (potentially a race win) to good result (strong points finish). There are two ways Lewis can go about it. He can choose to ignore what he did, and not hold himself accountable and blame the world plus dog, which it seems like he’s doing. Or, show some signs of maturity (very rare with Lewis like he did around Indian GP), and learn what he must from such repeated incidents which more often involve him.

Also, what a lot of Lewis fans dislike is the fact that Whitmarsh is pushing Lewis a little. It is Whitmarsh’s job for crying out loud. What do you expect him to do? Encourage a repeated pattern which has not improved any over 5 years? Of course, he didn’t actually put Lewis at a spot as yet. You do have to understand that Whitmarsh has not yet publicly denounced Lewis. One only needs to look at Patrick Head over the years to learn the difference. Then again, none of us know either personalities involved, so it is hard to get a read on the situation very precisely. However, in this case, i find myself agreeing more and more with Whitmarsh.

Let the flaming begin…

• JackBrabhamfan said on 17th November 2011, 4:47

Are you serious? Denounce The second fastest guy on the starting grid 2011 by far? The guy has led the second most number of laps in 2011? And do you realize that jenson inherited the lead @ Spa and Suzuka due to team screwups (wrong tires @ Spa and incorrect call about a slow puncture) and we all know what happened in Montreal! Plus Malaysia (early tire change and v slow pitstop gutted possible Lewis’s second place ), fueling issues in Britain (race) and Singapore (q3), poor q3 management in Monaco, uk and Japan etc etc etc…… The team screwed Lewis more than Lewis screwed the team! Or at best it was 50/50.

Britain

• Guy in the second fastest car, yes! Second fastest guy, well you won’t know unless you give them the same car… You could say the same about Lewis what you did about Jenson. Also, can you criticize Jenson? That lad hadn’t put a foot wrong throughout the damned season. Lewis, well he did make some pretty glaring mistakes which you expect from a rookie, but not a top level driver.

• jackbrabhamfan said on 17th November 2011, 20:49

I am going the by overall grid positions and the overall laps lead….. (the key word being ‘fast”)

• JackBrabhamfan said on 17th November 2011, 4:53

This not to take anything away from jenson. He is a great driver, otherwise he would be like you and me taking potshots at that special band of men from behind our keyboards!

• David BR (@david-br) said on 17th November 2011, 10:54

@Sri – I think people are taking Whitmarsh’s ‘honesty’ a little bit too much at face value. I’m not doubting he is being honest, I just don’t think it’s helpful to Hamilton to have to field (deny) another quote from his team boss. Hamilton really can only disagree, even if it is true he underestimated Button – what’s he supposed to say, yes, I thought Jenson was slow? I just get the feeling it isn’t the right environment for Hamilton with the McLaren team run by Whitmarsh. Hamilton’s responses to the latter’s press comments seem to show he’s bothered by them, so why does his boss continue with them? To push for better? Maybe, maybe not. Can we expect a “Let’s be honest, Lewis is basically a faster and more naturally talented driver than Jenson” from MW? I’d presume not, though it’s implicit in his comments. So this ‘honesty’ is hand-picked.

That said, did Hamilton underestimate Button? Only he can really know. But I would suggest Hamilton didn’t underestimate Button so much as the accumulative effect of another, more cautious and more selectively aggressive racing style over the course of a season (choosing precise moments when to attack, not all the time). Too many LH mistakes and that cautious approach from Button began to eat away at his own confidence, maybe. But I’m not so sure Hamilton competes with Button as much in mind as the Red Bulls and Ferrari, and I’m not even sure he even necessarily judges himself by ‘beating his team-mate’ – or not – as much as other people want to do. Hamilton seriously wasn’t happy with Kovaleinen being so slow. Clearly he relished the battle with Alonso in his first year, but Alonso was and still is the measure for the best in Formula 1 right now. All in all I’d guess Button is probably exactly where Hamilton would expect him to be. The problem is himself having a poor season – and taking the whole season, virtually, to discover that he can’t compete for the F1 championship and have so many other distractions in his life. He got rid of his father as manager and seriously underestimated the difficulty of managing a F1 career basically on his own (who he has working for him clearly look after ‘his’ commercial interests, not anything else).

1 2 3