Pedro de la Rosa to join HRT in 2012

2012 F1 season

Pedro de la Rosa will return to F1 with HRT in 2012, the team has confirmed.

He will join the team on a two-year contract starting in January.

De la Rosa made his last start in Montreal for Sauber as a substitute for Sergio Perez. He also drove for the team in 2010 before being replaced by Nick Heidfeld mid-way through the season.

He returned to his testing role at McLaren at the beginning of this year.

“This is a very important step in my sporting career and one of the most meditated ones I?ve taken,” said de la Rosa.

“I?m at a very good stage in terms of maturity and am prepared to take on this challenge, which motivates me hugely.

“When deciding on joining this project, for me there were three decisive factors: my desire to return to the active competition, the fact that HRT is a Spanish team and getting to know the people leading this project, Luis Perez-Sala being amongst them. I?m here to work hard, with modesty and humility, accepting where we are now but keeping in mind where we want to be in two years’ time.

“For me, this is the time to put into practice everything that I have learnt over the years at international top level racing teams so that we can grow together. I am proud that Spain has an F1 team and that I have this opportunity to be its driver. I can only show my gratitude towards HRT for having trusted in me for this.

“Lastly, I can?t forget to thank McLaren for allowing me to take this step. I have been very happy over the eight seasons I spent with them, growing as a driver and person. Without them I wouldn?t be here today.”

HRT team principal Colin Kolles said: “Apart from being a great person he is an experienced driver as his career and prestige in Formula 1 prove. I give him my most sincere welcome.

“I am sure that he will adapt perfectly and that together we will achieve great things.”

More information on the 2012 F1 season.

2012 F1 season

Browse all 2012 F1 season articles

90 comments on Pedro de la Rosa to join HRT in 2012

1 2 3
  1. James (@jamesf1) said on 21st November 2011, 23:36

Perhaps this will help HRT move forward a little, although they’ve a lot of work to do to catch Lotus (Caterham…)! Also interesting to note it’s a two year contract. THat’s a first for HRT and must give some indication that they’re here unil 2013 at very least.

I’d also guess that this means bye bye Liuzzi…

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 22nd November 2011, 0:13

it’s a first too that they started sorting out the line up so early!

And probably yeah, bye bye Liuzzi. He’s had enough chances to impress…

• He’s had enough chances to impress…

Why, has de la Rosa not?
        I don’t particularly like de la Rosa precisely for this: he always gets second chances. Sauber last year (he was sacked and substituted by Heidfeld) and HRT next year.
        There were ruomours Fisichella could have driven for Sauber in 2010: he’d have been a better choice as he had just taken a pole position and was still strong; de la Rosa had last started a race in 2006. I regard Pedro as a lucky driver: he was the obvious choice to replace Montoya in 2006, but he had more chances since then, whilst his fellow tester Paffett has never been considered by a team which made it on the grid.
        When I think of my hero Badoer, who wasn’t even chosen by his own team to replace Schumacher, I think if he had been given a second chance he’d have done better.
        Liuzzi has experience and is younger, and is familiar with the team.

• MinusTwo (@minustwo) said on 22nd November 2011, 19:32

You can’t possibly be serious about Badoer, can you?

When he was given a Ferrari seat in 2009 replacing Massa, he was 3-4 Seconds off his teammate’s pace. At least DLR is reasonably competitive when jumping into a new car.

• I still can’t understand how it is good move for HRT. Pedro is may be good test driver but for race seat at this age probably not the right choice (other than a spanish in spanish team). HRT has inherent weakness in it’s operation which only team itself can fix by having longterm view, recruiting & putting right people at right place. We have all seen that when car is not good, even barrichelo can’t do anything with williams (I don’t rate barrichello that high as a driver but at least better than pedro).

• raymondu999 (@raymondu999) said on 22nd November 2011, 4:10

Yes and no. With possibly the best development in driver (yes, better than Rubens/Schumacher) in Pedro, he could tell them which area is the most lacking, to get the most bang for their buck in terms of development.

If they wanted him to help test and develop the car, they have no choice but to field him in a race seat. For one thing there’s no way in hell he’d move from a McLaren tester to an HRT tester, and for another thing you can’t test outside of race weekends anyway, save for straight line testing.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 22nd November 2011, 7:32

Not too sure about Liuzzi going now. He does have a contract to drive until the end of 2012 (I guess a single season of FI equals at least 2 years of driving at HRT), according to both Adam Cooper and JS.

So it might well be, that this is going to be HRT with a very experienced line up, although I would not rule out something like a chairdance for at least some GPs, they would be wise to keep the Indian connection with Karthikeyan who could do India again and some young gun for the 3rd/4th seat (Spanish?) bringing a bit of money in.

2. Mach1 (@mach1) said on 21st November 2011, 23:39

Well, this was not on the radar. Seems to be a smart move by HRT. Someone with good testing experience to can at least give strong development feedback and direction…..hopefully

• James (@jamesf1) said on 22nd November 2011, 0:03

Some people on here did suggest he may have been given a race seat after getting the boot from Sauber last year, for a few races. Or indeed, a full season contract this year. Turns out their estimations where about a year out.

I’m pretty suprised myself by this.

3. Harvs (@harvs) said on 21st November 2011, 23:46

so that means that Liuzzi will be getting the boot, unless Riccardo gets moved into a torro rosso

4. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 21st November 2011, 23:48

Never thought I’d see this guy back, so glad he is! A lovely guy, and there’s obviously a reason he’s had connections with McLaren for this long.

I’m here to work hard, with modesty and humility, accepting where we are now but keeping in mind where we want to be in two years’ time.

My favourite quote of the article. Nice to hear this sort of realism from an HRT driver and a two year contract certainly shows the convincing commitment to the sport from this team yet. It’s all about the second seat now. Heart says Liuzzi, but they’ll probably take whatever Red Bull training driver that doesn’t go to Toro Rosso next year. So Probably Jean-Eric Vergne.

5. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 21st November 2011, 23:50

I see Hispania are advocating the “drawing a random name out of a hat” method of driver selection. They did it with Karthikeyan last year, too.

But this might actually be a good move. Pedro de la Rosa is very respected in the paddock as a test driver, so if anyone can develop the Hispania F112, it’s him. I think this is the intention, given that he has a two-year contract with the team.

6. Personally, I did not see this news coming, but it is a great decision on the behalf of HRT. First of all, they have a Spanish representative, which is what they aimed for. Second of all, his technical expertise will be a major boost for the team. HRT should retain Liuzzi or pick up Barrichello because an experienced line-up would be crucial if they want to establish a successful future and have young Spanish drivers in their cockpits. De la Rosa’s tenure with the team will pave the way for drivers like Dani Clos and Javier Villa to join by 2013.

On a side note, it’ll be interesting to see if Daniel Juncadella gets an HRT seat in 2013 or 2014. He won the Macau Grand Prix this year (probably his only notable achievement so far) and he seems to have a guaranteed future HRT seat. This is because he is the nephew of ex-Minardi pilot Luis Perez-Sala, who is currently the sporting director for HRT. As HRT’s new-look Thesan Management group are interested in a future “Spanish dream team” Juncadella, a Spaniard, must be an option for the team in the near future. Plus, he has lucrative funding from the Kazakh goverment consortium Astana, which also sponsors a famous cycling team. Having a Kazakh-backed driver for the inaugural Russian Grand Prix would be a smart move, as Russo-Kazakh ties have been gaining strength. HRT, not the most sponsor-attractive team, would benefit from Kazakh sponsorhip.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 22nd November 2011, 7:37

Ah, thanks for bringing that connection in for Juncadella. Sounds like he will very likely get at least on the roster as xth-driver/test driver with HRT in the future.

7. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 21st November 2011, 23:57

I can see how this would be a good move for HRT: He’s experienced and will be invaluable at helping them develop a car.

But a part of me sees the likes of Trulli, Barrichello and now De La Rosa trundling around the back of the grid as just blocking new talent from entering the sport. These guys are all in the twilight of their careers and have had enough time in the sport in my view. In an ideal world I’d prefer to see a brand new talent in one of those seats who is hungry and motivated to drive the wheels off the car. Look at how much Alonso impressed in a Minardi in 2001.

Will the old blood staying on for so long be to the detriment of great new talents being seen?

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 22nd November 2011, 0:08

Young drivers shouldn’t complete the full line up at a team. They exploit their talents better if teamed with an experienced driver like Rubens or DLR, in my opinion. A bit like Hulkenberg at Williams.

Plus it’s a good way to measure how good the rookie is.

• James (@jamesf1) said on 22nd November 2011, 0:08

I’m one of Schumacher’s biggest fans, but why isnt he on that list too? He’s just about got back up to speed, probably 0.3s per lap off at worst (which is a lot really…) but he isnt considered as past it.

Is it perhaps because he’s only back for a three seasons, or perhaps four (depending how well next year goes)? Not having a dig at your comment @Colossal Squid, because I agree 100% with what you’re saying, just an interesting observation.

• Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 22nd November 2011, 0:22

@James Nah I left him off entirely due to my own personal bias for him. Being fair he also should be included. Probably right to call me out :)

@Fer no.65 I think it would be up for debate how much a rookie would learn from an experienced team mate, and besides you could have someone less experienced in the team who would do the job as effectively. Taking Lotus/Caterham as an example, wouldn’t it be better to have Kovalainen and a new talent in there instead of Trulli?
        Or look at Sauber this year; two young drivers who are delivering pretty good, consistent results in a fairly uncompetitive car.

• Mike (@mike) said on 22nd November 2011, 0:35

Why exactly do we need to move out older drivers for rookies?

I’ve never understood this.

If it’s in the interests of a team to have a rookie, then yes, take him. But I don’t get this morality that’s seemingly going against older drivers. They are (supposedly) grown men, we don’t have to give them all an equal turn on the playground anymore.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 22nd November 2011, 7:10

@mike – some of them are clearly past their prime. Like Jarno Trulli. He was once regarded as Formula 1′s best one-lap specialist, but this year alone, he has been beaten in qualifying by Heikki Kovalainen by a margin of 15-2. I understand he was drafted into the team to help them develop the car, but the team is now as the point where they don’t need him.

• Like Jarno Trulli

Well, Trulli has dropped performance. So there is that reason to drop him.

But I was talking about say, Rubens or Schumacher, who despite their age are still pulling their weight.

8. dpod (@dpod) said on 22nd November 2011, 0:04

Very smart move by HRT but I am a tad disappointed that Pedro has to be stuck with such a vehicle. Pedro is a very good driver and I remember studying his results relative to Kobayashi and being impressed. Glad he is back.

9. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 22nd November 2011, 0:06

If HTR team him with a young guy like Ricciardo, then it’ll be great. De La Rosa is a lot more complete driver in terms of experience developing a car than Liuzzi, that’s for sure.

I thought Barrichello would be going to HRT, to be honest, but DLR isn’t a bad choice!

Good for HRT!

10. US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 22nd November 2011, 0:12

Best comment I saw on this all day was Adam Cooper on twitter:

#F1 Good to see @pedrodelarosa1 land the HRT seat, but no doubt there will be controversy as youngsters like @rubarrichello have no drive!

11. f1andy83 said on 22nd November 2011, 0:14

I believe this was one of the best decisions the small teams have made, even though I do not believe Pedro de la Rosa is a fast driver, he should have enough intel on what makes a great team work. He has spent countless years at McLaren and should know details about the sport that small teams haven’t realized yet. To summarize I do not believe he would be a great addition to any big names, but for small new comers, he was a very good choice.

• George (@george) said on 22nd November 2011, 17:40

That was my thought too, I dont expect him to blow away his team-mate, but he could do some good work behind the scenes. A team like HRT is fine with only one fast driver as their points (probably) aren’t cumulative, ie one of them getting an 11th place would beat Lotus getting 12th-13th all season.

Only thing is they need a fast driver in the other seat, not sure Liuzzi provides that.

12. Rob Wilson (@rob-wilson) said on 22nd November 2011, 0:19

Well, i didn’t see this coming either. As others have mentioned it seems like an intelligent move for the team and all things considered probably the best move, but personally i would have rather seen a fresh name in the sport rather than a 40 year old Pedro De La Rosa. It’s not a prospect that excites me, but i’m sure he’ll do just fine.

13. Txizzle (@txizzle) said on 22nd November 2011, 0:22

WOW…..I did NOT see this one coming. Do hope it is at the expense of Liuzzi, and not of Ricciardo.

• celeste (@celeste) said on 22nd November 2011, 1:03

I don´t know whats going to happen, but it certanly doesn´t look good for the Toro Rosso guys #poorbuemi , now HRT only has one seat, and I´m not sure that RBR Jr program is gonna pay for this seat as it did this year. Liuzzi is not a pay driver as long as I know and If I´m correct Riccardo have being doing ok againts him. So maybe they will drop Liuzzi and keep Riccardo….

Te other choice is keep Alguersauri, give the other Toro Rosso to Riccardo, and leave Vergne as test driver.

Sadly the one driver I see going is Buemi,even so I think his results have been damage for poblems with the car, more than pace in race… #poorbuemi

And Liuzzi was another RBR Jr so it seem that RBR is going something good, at least given young drivers a chance to get into F1…

I understand why some people are ok with this move but I´ll will be more confortable if a young driver were to get this seat… is not like HRT is gonna get the money to do a lot of development, and if the reason was sponsorship they will have done more getting a young driver like Clos or Alguersauri on the seat if they want some spanish money…

14. Kamui Fan (@kamui-fan) said on 22nd November 2011, 0:43

I think de la Rosa is a sensible choice for HRT, but I recon he is favoured not only for his experience but also the fact he is Spanish and the team said that they wanted a more Spanish focus, so in many ways, its cynical.

However, I think he’ll benefit the team hugely and good luck to him

15. runforitscooby (@runforitscooby) said on 22nd November 2011, 1:03

So does this mean Ricciardo is on the move to Toro Rosso?

1 2 3