Buemi and Schumacher are top overtakers – Mercedes

2011 F1 season

Sebastien Buemi, Toro Rosso, Buddh International Circuit

Sebastien Buemi, Toro Rosso, Buddh International Circuit

Sebastien Buemi and Michael Schumacher top the list of most prolific overtakers in 2011.

According to data produced by Mercedes, Buemi has made 112 overtaking moves and Schumacher 111 over the 18 races of the year to date.

Kamui Kobayashi has made 95, Jaime Alguersuari 90 and Sergio Perez 89.

Ignoring overtaking moves made on the first lap, Perez and Buemi have the most with 82. The next highest are Jenson Button (77), Mark Webber (76), Alguersuari (74) and Schumacher (71).

The Turkish Grand Prix saw the most overtaking moves with 85, followed by Canada (79) and China (67). The least passing was seen at Monaco (16), Australia (17) and India (18).

Mercedes also analysed the effect the Drag Reduction System has had on overtaking this year. Out of 804 “clean overtakes”, DRS accounted for 363 (45.1%). This excludes passes on the first lap, passes due to damage, and overtakes on the Virgin, HRT and Lotus cars.

The highest proportion of DRS-assisted passes was seen at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, where 89% of passes were achieved with DRS. The next highest were the European (81%), Indian (78%), Turkish (59%) and Spanish (57%) Grands Prix. DRS passes outnumbered ordinary passes in eight of the 18 races so far.

The least DRS passes was seen (sometimes due to wet conditions) in the Monaco (13%), Hungarian (20%), Canadian (22%), Japanese (26%) and British (27%) Grands Prix.

2011 F1 season

Browse all 2011 F1 season articles

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty images

99 comments on Buemi and Schumacher are top overtakers – Mercedes

1. Overtaking doesn’t really mean anything anymore, DRS has devalued it.

It used to be that seeing an overtaking move was exciting, Now it isn’t.

I’d rather see 1 exciting overtaking moves than 10 unexciting, dull & totally boring DRS passes.

• Don’t be so dramatic.

• Dizzy said on 23rd November 2011, 0:34

Not been dramatic, Its just what I think.

In the past we saw less overtaking yet every single one of the overtakes we did see were exciting & meant more because you knew it was hard fought for.

This year we have seen a great deal of passing yet not a great deal of real exciting overtaking. DRS has provided dull & unexciting passes & to an extent some of the tyre created passing has been a bit dull.

If you see too much of something then it eventually gets devalued .
        For instance we all remember Villeneuve/Arnoux because it isn’t the norm, If it was something that happened every race after the 1st 2-3 occasions it would no longer be memorable or exciting, It would just become the accepted norm.

2011 may have seen record levels of passing, But for me very little of it was actually exciting & DRS in particular ruined my enjoyment of the season.

I said when DRS was announced that I’d wait & see how it worked before casting judgement & having seen it in action I hate it.
        I was not someone that decided they disliked DRS pre-season & simply refused to give it a chance. I gave it the benefit of the doubt, Saw how it worked & didn’t like what I saw.

I stand by the final line of my above comment, I’d rather 1 real overtake than 10 DRS passes.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 23rd November 2011, 8:50

I absolutely agree with your assessment, and the final line of your first comment.

People seem to place too much emphasis on overtaking as being exciting or good, rather than thinking of the battle as being exciting.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 23rd November 2011, 14:40

Right, and to go along with this discussion, I think it has always been a priority in F1 to have passing not be so mundane and so frequent that it is ‘dime a dozen’ type stuff, none of it memorable, ala Villeneuve/Arnoux.

That is why to me it is so frustrating to see them incorporate a gadget to promote passing and to see said passing make the driver being passed look helpless and amateur.

Get rid of the DRS, keep them on sticky tires, restrict their usage of wings for downforce, and that will put the passing back into the ‘rare but seat of the pants’ category, imho.

I’ll echo once again JV’s sentiments back when they introduced grooved tires and JV called them a joke and got hauled up on the carpet for it. ‘Give us back slicks, but not just slicks, give us the big fat ones they had in the 70′s which created so much drag on the straights that in order to achieve any kind of respectable top speeds you had to run less wing’. Thus killing two birds with one stone. Mechanical grip with a limit to how much wing you wanted to run, equals seat of the pants racing with the trailing car being far less disturbed by dirty air due to it’s lesser dependancy on wing.

2. SennaPart2 said on 22nd November 2011, 13:41

Sorry, i meant ‘thats the car’

3. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 22nd November 2011, 14:00

Some people have suggested – not unreasonably – that maybe the top overtakers are just poor qualifiers who’ve had more opportunity to overtake. Here’s some data from the stats pages:

Qualifying scores

Buemi 13 – 5 Alguersuari
    Schumacher 2 – 14 Rosberg

Average starting positions

Rosberg 7.61
    Schumacher 10.33
    Alguersuari 14.39
    Buemi 14.61

• BUEMI #1!!!!!!!!!!

Haha thanks for these stats keith. I know Buemi usually outqualifies ALG. Its a shame probably both are getting dumped for JEV and RIC

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 22nd November 2011, 14:55

Having looked at the info from the races since the summer, it does seem that Alguesuari and Buemi have a net loss in Lap one position changes, but I’m not certain.

Would it be a lot of work to put that data for each race, per driver, in a graph @keithcollantine?

I don’t have the data, or I’d try it myself, but maybe I’ll compile if from your graphs tonight/tomorrow and see what it shows.

I was thinking about something like an aggregate lap-chart, but with stages Quali,grid (to take care of grid-penalties),first lap,finishing position to show progress through the race weekend. It’s not new information, you basically provide it all during the race review (per driver/team in the team-reviews), but a different way of visualising it.

4. Alain (@paganbasque) said on 22nd November 2011, 14:22

When you have a poor qualification you are supposed to overtake more cars, so this can explain Michael and Buemis numbers. But you have to do it, and even being Schumacher its not en easy task so in my opinion the ability to overtake of Michael and Buemi is out of any question.

5. smifaye (@smifaye) said on 22nd November 2011, 15:13

I’m guessing all Mark Webber’s came at China?!

Very interesting here from Mercedes. I’m glad to see that DRS isn’t hogging the results. I think the data does show that the drivers who are found out of position in qualifying have the highest number of overtakes and this is to be expected really. I’d like to see some data where you can see start position against how many overtakes per race.

6. damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 22nd November 2011, 15:28

I think the Turkish Grand Prix, despite having the most overtakes, was my least favourite Grand Prix of the year. Something about it didn’t feel right. The battle between Hamilton and Button was pretty exciting, but other than that, it didn’t seem like I was watching an F1 race.

I really hope we don’t see another race like it, because for all of the action, it still wasn’t even slightly memorable at all for me.

7. Tom Bisset (@pianoshizzle) said on 22nd November 2011, 20:22

Jenson Button can probably take credit for about 80% of the moves at the Canadian Grand Prix

8. UKFan (@) said on 22nd November 2011, 21:53

Buemi, He isnt a fan favourite and I still cant undertsand why? The ladies might argue, for example my girlfriends favourite driver are Alguersuari and Button, but the rest of F1 fans simply cant be watching the same races ive watched cause clearly Buemi deserves to be reckon. I dont want to move out of subject but isnt Buemi F1 worth it? in my opinion yes, dont want to see another Hulkenberg.

• d3v0 (@d3v0) said on 23rd November 2011, 1:31

BUEMI F1 WDC 2013

• iamremedy said on 23rd November 2011, 10:58

I agree with you 100% Buemi has done a brilliant job, especially with all the pressure he has been put under by his team, There is no question in my mind he should be in F1 next season.

I wasn’t too surprised to see him as the top overtaker either, I remember at Hungary he passed 11 cars including ALG in the first 2 laps, just a shame no one noticed it.

9. PaulK (@paulk) said on 23rd November 2011, 1:13

Oh well, it sure wouldn’t be Vettel, would it?

10. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 23rd November 2011, 2:49

No disrespect to Sebastien Buemi and Michael Schumacher but to me the “The Overtaker of the Season” has to be “AussieGrit”. If you look all his overtaking moves this season has been clean but harsh,he showed enough respect to the others while he is racing.

11. Dave_F1 said on 23rd November 2011, 12:14

i was listning to an interview with sam michael recently & he said something i thought was intresting.

he said that in the initial discussions drs was to be allowed on every straght & the system was to be activated/deactivated by the fia timing loops which are every 100m round the track.
    he said the plan was that drs was to be avaliable to the car behind but that as soon as he got 50% alongside of the car he was passing at the next timing loop drs would be deactivated so that the actual pass would have to be completed by the driver rather than drs driving him alongside & then all the way past.

reason this idea was not adopted was firstly because they coudn’t get the system working right.

he ended by saying that even those within fota who often put forward there support for drs dislike the way its currently been used with the 1 second gap, detection points & activation zones.

12. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 23rd November 2011, 13:14

Good read. Surprised about the number of DRS passes being such a low percentage, I was expecting higher.