Force India team principal Vijay Mallya is wary of an eleventh-hour setback in the team’s pursuit of sixth in the championship.
Sixth in the championship would be the best result for the team since it became Force India but Mallya says he isn’t celebrating yet: “Absolutely not!
“I still remember what happened last year when we missed out on sixth place by just one point. We certainly head to Brazil in a very strong position, but I’ve learned that you should never take anything for granted.”
Mallya is hopeful of a repeat of the team’s Abu Dhabi form, where both drivers qualified and finished inside the top ten: “We needed to get two cars in the points and beat our direct competitors to get some breathing space in the championship, and that?óÔé¼Ôäós exactly what we did.
“There were some performance upgrades for the car, which worked well, and the drivers did the rest. In the race we split the strategies to cover all the options and we came away with our third double points finish of the season.”
Mallya described 2011 as the team’s “most complete season yet”:
“We?óÔé¼Ôäóve developed a car that has been strong in all areas and we?óÔé¼Ôäóve given some of the bigger teams a run for their money. I?óÔé¼Ôäóm proud of what we have achieved, which is a testament to the dedication and commitment of all the team members.
“If we can secure sixth in the championship this weekend, it will be a key milestone in the history of this team because the competitiveness of the Formula 1 grid is as intense as I can remember.”
2011 Brazilian Grand Prix
- Sutil voted Driver of the Weekend for Brazil
- Vettel “definitely affected” by gearbox problem – Webber
- 2011 Brazilian Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Vote for Brazilian GP driver of the weekend
- Red Bull: Gearbox glitch hands win to Webber
- McLaren: Button wanted to pass Alonso without using DRS
- Massa makes 100 Ferrari starts but no podium
- Ferrari: Alonso slips back on medium tyres
- Mercedes: Two-stop strategy leaves Rosberg vulnerable
- Force India: Sutil equals best result of the year
Image ?é?® Force India F1 Team