Drivers played down concerns the DRS zone at the Interlagos circuit could act to reverse overtaking moves during the race.
The pit straight is often a scene of overtaking moves at the track, and the DRS zone is placed on the straight after it.
Drivers will be able to activate DRS before the exit of Curva do Sol (turn three) and use it all the way along the straight to the next corner, Subida do Lago.
It could create a situation where a driver who has just been passed on the pit straight can use the DRS zone to reverse the move. A similar phenomenon was observed with the double DRS zones in the last race in Abu Dhabi.
Michael Schumacher doubted it would happen, saying: “I think that if you are able to pass on the main straight, you would actually definitely be the quicker car, because you do it without DRS and then the chicane itself should be enough to clear yourself so that the guy behind shouldn?óÔé¼Ôäót have sufficient power, even with DRS, to then re-pass you.
“So you probably only pass at equal speed on the back straight, because of the DRS, but it shouldn?óÔé¼Ôäót be similar to what we saw in Abu Dhabi.”
Jenson Button and Bruno Senna agreed with Schumacher but Felipe Massa was less sure, saying: “If you have overtaken the car on the main straight, which is the better place for overtaking, without using DRS, it is possible you can be overtaking again at the next one, because in the next one you?óÔé¼Ôäóre going to have the DRS. I think it can be the same situation.
“For sure, maybe it could be the same as what happened in the last race.”
2011 Brazilian Grand Prix
- Sutil voted Driver of the Weekend for Brazil
- Vettel “definitely affected” by gearbox problem – Webber
- 2011 Brazilian Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Vote for Brazilian GP driver of the weekend
- Red Bull: Gearbox glitch hands win to Webber
- McLaren: Button wanted to pass Alonso without using DRS
- Massa makes 100 Ferrari starts but no podium
- Ferrari: Alonso slips back on medium tyres
- Mercedes: Two-stop strategy leaves Rosberg vulnerable
- Force India: Sutil equals best result of the year
Image ?é?® Team Lotus