BBC reveal free-to-air live F1 races for 2012

2012 F1 season

Start, Melbourne, 2011

The season opener won't be live on free-to-air TV in the UK next year

The BBC has confirmed which races will be shown live and free-to-air in the UK in 2012.

The BBC says it will show half of next year’s races live and in high definition, plus delayed highlights of the remaining races.

The highlights programmes will last around 90 minutes and usually be shown around 2pm for early morning races, 5:30pm for European time zone races.

All the races will be shown live on Sky’s dedicated F1 channel, announced today, which will cost a minimum of ??363.

The first two races of 2012 will only be shown live on Sky, who also claimed exclusive live rights to the Canadian and Italian Grands Prix.

BBC will show the final race of the season live, but did not pick up live rights to the United States Grand Prix, which is under threat of cancellation.

Round Race Circuit Date Channel
19 United States Grand Prix Circuit of the Americas November 16-18th Sky
20 Brazilian Grand Prix Interlagos November 23rd-25th BBC/Sky

F1 on television

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty images

201 comments on BBC reveal free-to-air live F1 races for 2012

1. Firebreather (@firebreather) said on 25th November 2011, 19:14

What time do we get to see Montreal then? Thats quite a late race, especially this year! Are we going to have to be watching it at midnight?

I have to say, I bloody hate highlights though. As much as I like Jake and the way they present it, I really hope they keep that to a minimum so we can actually watch 90 mins of race, rather than half an hour of race and and hour of Jake taking the mick out of EJ’s shirt. If it was a full race reply I wouldnt mind so much, but I bloody hate highlights!

• craig-o (@craig-o) said on 25th November 2011, 20:28

I can only regurgitate what @Mark-McCubbin has said. Shame I forgot to put it in my comment, but there’s one big thing about sport which a lot of people who doesn’t follow it fails to understand: all sporting events have to be watched LIVE.

2. I’ve been following F1 since 1967 and totally gutted about coverage for next season. I’ve even managed to watch the races live wherever in the world i’ve been on holiday, so to not see it here at home is sad. Not all of us can afford Sky so I will have to find another way of watching it live

• Bobdredds (@bobdredds) said on 25th November 2011, 20:01

Same here, I always managed to find a place to watch it. But I think it’s time to let go a bit for a season and see if they come to their senses. If they dont, they dont deserve a loyal fanbase.

• Mark (@marlarkey) said on 26th November 2011, 8:53

If you’ve been following F1 since 1967 you’ll know that the F1 coverage you’ll get now… even from the BBC will be better than you used to get 30+ years ago.

I remember in the 70s and even early 80s that F1 coverage was hard to come by and live coverage was unusual. Can anyone recall when the BBC started covering all the races live because I suspect it was not as long ago as people assume ?

3. wriath (@wriath) said on 25th November 2011, 19:43

Whats happing about qualifying is the beeb going to be showing that andwhat about pratice

4. Joseph94 (@joseph94) said on 25th November 2011, 19:45

THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE DISGRACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AND I’M SURE I speak on behalf of all my fellow hardcore F1 Fans!!!
    That greedy slimy little Bernie Ecclestone needs to have his head put in a vice and have it crushed slowly until his death!! I’ve followed F1 since 2001 (I’m 17) and feel deeply saddened by this decision. Man.. I feel sick.

• Bobdredds (@bobdredds) said on 25th November 2011, 20:07

You shouldn’t allow yourself to get so upset that you have to stoop to insults. Think what you can do as a petrolhead with the money that Sky are looking for and the time you will have on your hands. You can invest in a pc racing sim and go racing yourself, 24-7 instead.

• craig-o (@craig-o) said on 25th November 2011, 20:25

@Joseph94 illegal streaming?

• Alex W said on 26th November 2011, 9:31

You don’t speak for everyone, I would LOVE to have the SKY deal in Australia, it sounds awesome, the price is not cheap but affordable to 99% of Western world, unless you are an unfortunate already living beyond your means.

5. craig-o (@craig-o) said on 25th November 2011, 20:18

*gets ranting hat on*

Sky claims that creating a new channel will give even more value to Sky customers.

…It will give even more value to Sky customers and create another reason for others to consider pay TV.

There’s a couple of things I find a bit odd about this…

1) What, if any, extra coverage will Sky viewers (of which I am not one of, will NOT be one of, or ever intend to be in the future as long as I have to pay for it) get as a result? Last time I checked, there’s only 20 races (if USA/Bahrain/Korea etc. goes ahead), so what will it be used for the rest of the season and year in that case.

2) Why on Earth would I want to consider paying to watch TV when I can stream it on the internet?

Sky Sports F1 HD viewers can also follow the action wherever they are with all live coverage on Sky Go, through online, mobile or tablet devices, at no extra charge.

If you’re a big enough F1 fan, you’ll know how to how to keep up with live action for practise, quali and race anyway. There’s no need for a dummied simplified version, which casual fans will not use anyhow.

EXTRA LIVE CONTENT: Through Sky’s interactive service, fans can follow the action through on-board cameras, go behind the scenes with the teams in the pits, and follow race data, to take them further inside the sport.

Extra live content? From the looks of it, that’s the exact same thing that the BBC currently provide. Where’s the extra bit?

You will need a Sky HD subscription to receive the F1 channel

How much is Sky HD or the Sky Sports Package? And does that mean F1 will be shown on SD channels or can you only watch F1 on the F1 HD channel? It’s all very confusing and unclear. And for those without either package, it seems you’ll need to upgrade.

According to what Keith’s said, it will cost me (a student, struggling to get by as is at the moment) £363, which, in my view, and many other fan’s views, is exactly £363 more than it should cost.

I was livid when I first heard of the deal, and I still am. If anything, I’m probably more *insert relevant expletive here* than I was to begin with. Both the BBC and Sky have played down this whole charade, and it seems the rest of the media is beginning to sway their side. The true fans know what they are talking about at least.

P.S. I WILL be watching Formula 1 in 2012. No, not on Sky, but on some feed deep on the internet somewhere.

6. Bernard (@bernard) said on 25th November 2011, 20:19

Occupy F1 is born.

7. Chalky (@chalky) said on 25th November 2011, 20:58

I looked for Canada first. Being that evening race in the UK that’s seems to always have a great race. Disappointed it’s not there.

8. Journeyer (@journeyer) said on 25th November 2011, 21:25

I already know where the good SKY feeds are kept at present. Thing is, FOM must be the most dedicated company I know in taking down feeds faster than you can say Afghanistan backwards. It’ll be interesting to see how long those feeds last…

9. Bobdredds (@bobdredds) said on 25th November 2011, 21:36

There are several glaring omissions that I’m surprised that some teams are putting up with. For a start Monza, come on Ferrari, the Tifosi in Britian are being screwed unless they subscribe to Sky. Your exposure will be drastically reduced and with the level of clout you have dont be surprised if some of the blame is directed towards you. This could hurt you more than any other single entity.

McLaren, how can you continue to say that fans are important when in one move a large section of them in “the Home of Motorsport” are disenfranchised and prevented from watching the sport that they have given unbending loyalty to for years. To all those who supported YOU in the FOTA vs MAX war, this is a huge slap in the face. No wonder Bernie says there is no point in FOTA. That he even said is disgrace. That you let him get away with it is even worse. BUT, that he is shown to be right by your inaction in this issue, is the worst of all.

Red Bull, you are supposed to be about freedom, fairplay and fun but without the freedom to watch your favourite sport, there is no fun and there is nothing fair about this deal.

Williams, Frank, please talk some sense into them.

Why are F1 drivers being so quiet in all this.

Races should be watched live other than exceptional circumstances such as nuclear war or the end of time. Replays do not have the same impact.
    All commentries and commentators and post race roundups and throwing people into swimming pools etc are only bits of flim flam that have no real attraction when removed from the live experience and the same goes for replays.

The reality is that F1 will be less accessable to fans next season ans less people will be watching. How in the hell is that better?

10. robk23 (@robk23) said on 25th November 2011, 21:54

I’m tempted to pay for Sky+HD at £34.75p/m. On the other hand, I could spend the money on going to see some national racing. I could go to most rounds of the BTCC for the same amount and to be honest I prefer that option.

11. Why can’t the BBC show Canada instead of China.

12. Mclaren 1-2 said on 25th November 2011, 23:50

if canada and USA aren’t on until 5 or 6pm, what time will the highlights be on the Beeb?

• Chalky (@chalky) said on 26th November 2011, 9:48

Good point.
      and what about a rain delay? Well I know it was quite unique this year, but if that happens we could find highlights are at very early hours of the morning.

13. manatcna (@manatcna) said on 26th November 2011, 1:47

Some info from the BBC Website

“Extended highlights (90 mins) on BBC One and BBC One HD, 1700 for European time zone races and (120 mins) 1400 for early morning races

Qualifying: Extended highlights (75 mins) BBC One and BBC One HD, Saturdays at 1730 for European time zone races and 1300 for early morning races

(Hungarian Grand Prix qualifying and highlights will be on BBC Two and BBC HD)”

More or less what Mr C has said

14. INS (@ins) said on 26th November 2011, 1:49

We’ve all heard the phrase: Be careful what you wish for.

Well, to all those fans who love the BBC so much and wanted F1 to remain on the BBC: You got your wish.

To all those who said they can’t stand adverts: You got your wish.

To all those who said ‘the BBC is the home of F1′: You got your wish.

And now you have exactly what you wished for: Crummy, pre-ITV, highlights only race coverage. Well done all those who didn’t want it to go back to a commercial station.

As I said before, be careful what you wish for.

• Estesark (@estesark) said on 26th November 2011, 20:29

I think most people would rather have all the races on an advertising-supported free-to-air channel than half of them on the BBC and half requiring a very expensive subscription.

Nobody wished for this. And since when did FOM take fans’ wishes into consideration?

15. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 26th November 2011, 2:03

I don’t think I will be affeted by BBC will miss the season opener, but they have included Spain,Valencia,& Abu Dhabi, Korea?
    Missing Italy,CANADA, Hungary won’t help them to compete with them.