Rate the race: 2011 Brazilian Grand Prix

Debates and polls

What did you think of the Brazilian Grand Prix? Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2011 Brazilian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (2%)
  • 2 (1%)
  • 3 (7%)
  • 4 (8%)
  • 5 (19%)
  • 6 (29%)
  • 7 (21%)
  • 8 (8%)
  • 9 (2%)
  • 10 (3%)

Total Voters: 415

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

152 comments on Rate the race: 2011 Brazilian Grand Prix

1. 3/10 Webber’s win was too artificial.. Disguised team orders which is just a joke, bring on 2012! Hopefully the gaps between teams will be significantly less and the huge advantages RB have will make for some great racing..

2. damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 27th November 2011, 17:53

5/10.

Slightly worse than Abu Dhabi and a hollow victory, even for a Webber fan.

3. HUHHII (@huhhii) said on 27th November 2011, 17:55

I gave it 8. I think it was rather entertaining race, even though the win was robbed from Vettel :/ On the contrary, I’m always happy to see MSC and HAM struggling :)

4. kbdavies (@kbdavies) said on 27th November 2011, 17:59

Dull. Dull. Dull. McLaren’s threat shown in practice never materialised. Ferrari’s threat shown in first half of the race never materialised, Mercedes team threat of straight line speed never materialised, the threat of rain never materialised, RBR’s threat of a possible gearbox blowing up never materialised, Lewis’s threat of turning the corner and showing some sped never materialised, Jenson’s threat of 2nd place in the last stint never materialised.

In fact, nothing threatened materialised. All we got is a sullen winner and the curse of the Sao Paulo Pole Position striking again.

5. Dunno bout you guys but I really enjoyed it.

Bit of excitement, good passing. no, Great passing. And Webber got himself a win.

I’m gutted that Rubens start went so bad, but he pulled out a decent finish anyway.

• Girts (@girts) said on 27th November 2011, 19:54

I’m with you on this one. There were some good passes, some nice battles (Massa vs Hamilton), at least one collision, drama created by technical trouble and a new winner so I just can’t see what’s wrong with this race. I still haven’t changed my opinion on DRS (adjustable rear wing = BAD) but I think this was a very good finale to a decent season so I gave it an 8.

6. sid_prasher (@) said on 27th November 2011, 18:03

bland race! Would have been nice if it had rained…

How good is RBR when the finish 1-2 after a car has a mechanical issue…they just smashed everyone else this year.
    Here is hoping for a 4 team (at least) challenge next year…

7. Let’s pretend for a moment that we’re rational people who base our conclusions on the available evidence. What is the evidence that there were team orders today, other than the fact that Vettel was able to make it to the finish and stay in second place with an alleged gearbox problem? (This is a serious question. I’m honestly curious.)

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 27th November 2011, 18:08

No evidence so far I think. Why would they do that, and why so early in the race if there could still have been rain? And it wasn’t going to get Webber 2nd in the WDC unless Button didn’t score points. Trade a win for a 3rd in the WDC? Doesn’t seem likely.

• electrolite (@electrolite) said on 27th November 2011, 18:11

I’ll ‘pretend to be a rational person’ for a second and have a think…no, still no evidence of team orders.

• I’m obviously including myself among those who aren’t always rational! ;-)

• kbdavies (@kbdavies) said on 27th November 2011, 18:40

Lack of evidence of something is NOT evidence that it does not exist – Absence Of Evidence Is No t Evidence Of Absensce (argumentum ad ignorantiam).

People who say there is no evidence of teams orders are under the same pressure to provide evidence to prove the point, as people who say there were.

• RedXibi said on 27th November 2011, 19:27

The best evidence I can come up with to form a rational argument is that they managed to do the impossible by fixing a mechanical problem through telepathy. Mechanical problems always require a physical intervention of some sort, especially a gearbox.

8. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 27th November 2011, 18:09

I think a 6. We were all expecting rain and a classic Interlagos thriller, but it never came. It’s easy to say it was really bad, but it was definitely better than India, Valencia, even Silverstone I’d say.

9. dcjohnson (@dcjohnson) said on 27th November 2011, 18:12

Fix ! Everything I hate about F1,absolutely taking the mike out of the f1 public, an artifical result completely engineered, seems the Macs are the only team that run with two drivers allowed to win throughout the season…jesus and all the moaning about DRS (that worked well today) and not a peep about vettels “dodgy gear box”.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 27th November 2011, 18:13

I’d like to know what specifically convinces you it was a “fix”.

• astonished (@astonished) said on 27th November 2011, 21:24

I don’t know if it was a fix (I tend to believe it but…). However, the fact that team orders are now legal is in my opinion not a strong argument against the “conspirational theory”. Beyond the legality, RB (and Mc Laren to a lesser extent) are adamant of free racing between their drivers. A clear team order goes against RBR public image and communication strategy. And this is key for them as a team and as 100% sports drink sponsored. one

• electrolite (@electrolite) said on 27th November 2011, 18:27

See you later then!

• electrolite (@electrolite) said on 27th November 2011, 18:31

Excuse that comment…thought you’d written you hate everything about F1 or something.

In all fairness though there were dodgy gearboxes throughout the field, not just something dreamed up by Red Bull. Also, I don’t think Webber would have looked that genuinely happy if it were a fix. Like Brundle was saying, he wears his heart on his sleeve.

10. Another German finishes the race in 2nd position with gearbox problems… fine it wasn’t as imperious as was Schumacher at Catalunya, but impressive nevertheless. Button, what now his detractors both in and out of McLaren going to say about him. Button has finished every race with a strong points finish, except when his car let him down, so a great season for him, which could have been even better, but isn’t bad as it is. Button has put Hamilton firmly in second place within what was once known as “Team Hamilton”, my bad, McLaren. Alonso pulled quite a stunning move on Button and Button’s rambling doesn’t take away anything from Alonso’s effort. You must capitalize on errors of others in racing… shows why the car finishes higher than it should. Massa, it was nice to see the lad actually put on a small show for the fans at the end of the GP. Webber hopefully would pump himself up and will do a job as good as in ’10 and may be push Seb harder. Barrichello will be missed, both as a racer and a nice man to boot. Who can forget his win at Hockenheim from the last position and another such feat at Monza.

I don’t know what people are complaining about as a lot of them accept and propose rule changes which slow down development. Modern GP era has been like this for a while now. Especially with rule changes slowing down both testing and development, one car which has an advantage has gone on to dominate the season. McLaren in ’08. Brawn/ Honda in ’09. RBR in ’10 and ’11. Unless rules are changed to allow development, do not expect to see a very close finishing championships like those of late 90’s and before.

11. macca1977 (@) said on 27th November 2011, 18:17

The race was a 5 for me. It was going for a 7 till Senna destroyed Schumi’s race (at that point went to a 1), MSC should have waited for the DRS zone though. Nothing else to watch so I keep the tv on and then I saw the Mclaren gear box dying and suddenly it became a 5. About the Red Bull gearbox IMO you can’t continue having a pace like that with a gearbox problem so I guess they might be team orders.

12. sid_prasher (@) said on 27th November 2011, 18:20

Wow, I didn’t expect so many people will call this a stunt. So Vettel needed to have a DNF for us to believe that there was a gear box issue? I think we are not being fair to Webber or RBR here.
    There was nothing to be gained by Vettel trying to defend his position once it was known that there was a gear box issue.

13. 6/10
    The most entertaining part was Massa doing doughnuts.
    I am disappointed by this race, it was an anti-climax with the rain not coming and the battles for positions in the standings not being accompanied by battles on the track. The only nice duel was between Massa and Hamilton, although the McLaren had a gearbox problem.
    I believe there actually was a gearbox problem with Vettel, I don’t think Red Bull are stupid enough to scare their driver with a “serious” problem for half of the race, putting at risk his podium position. Curious though how it didn’t get worse and resolved itself in the end.
    Nice to see Webber win, good race by Button and great race by Vettel. How he managed to get fastest laps with a gerabox problem is beyond me.

14. Helen (@helen) said on 27th November 2011, 18:24

A couple of incidences in the mid field made it more interesting on a political level for guys trying to get / keep a seat for 2012. Sutil had a good race, but may not race for Force India, Senna qualified well, but got penalised and ended up towards the back and Rubens got a terrible start but had a decent recovery… Will be sad to see Rubens go, but can’t see him staying.

15. Becken Lima (@becken-lima) said on 27th November 2011, 18:24

Disappointing. Alonso saved the day with that overtake in Jenson. Nothing more interesting happened after that.