2011 Brazilian GP team review
With Pedro de la Rosa set to join HRT next year, Brazil may have been Liuzzi’s last start for them.
|Daniel Ricciardo||Vitantonio Liuzzi|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q1)||1’16.890 (+0.259)||1’16.631|
HRT drivers’ lap times throughout the race (in seconds):
|Pit stop 1||Soft 23.473s|
|Pit stop 2||Medium 22.904s|
Having been quicker of the two HRTs earlier in Q1, Ricciardo was disappointed to slip behind his team mate: “I didn’t improve on the second set of tyres which is frustrating because we could’ve achieved an even better result.”
He slipped back towards the end of the first stint, then made an early second stop due to high tyre degradation: “I think we abused the tyres a bit too much and I had to pit a bit earlier for the [mediums] because the tyres were finished.
“It took a few laps for the [mediums] to start working but once they did the times were better than ever.”
Ricciardo was the last classified runner.
|Pit stop 1||Soft 22.666s|
|Pit stop 2||Medium 22.996s|
Liuzzi was satisfied to beat his team mate plus both the Virgins in qualifying.
He made a poor start but recovered to end the first lap in 22nd place: “At the start my car went into anti-stall so when I dropped the clutch the car stopped and everyone passed me and, therefore, I was last coming into the first corner but then during the first lap I managed to make up for it.”
He was running four seconds ahead of his team mate mate when the alternator failed on his car ten laps from home.
Will Liuzzi return to drive for the team next year? HRT have had the highest driver turnover of any of the new teams, fielding seven different drivers in their first two seasons.
With a lot of competition for seats and teams like Red Bull seeking to place young drivers at smaller teams to gain experience, Liuzzi’s F1 future is under threat.
Drove Liuzzi’s car in first practice, making his first appearance in an F1 race weekend.
2011 Brazilian Grand Prix
- Sutil voted Driver of the Weekend for Brazil
- Vettel “definitely affected” by gearbox problem – Webber
- 2011 Brazilian Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Vote for Brazilian GP driver of the weekend
- Red Bull: Gearbox glitch hands win to Webber
- McLaren: Button wanted to pass Alonso without using DRS
- Massa makes 100 Ferrari starts but no podium
- Ferrari: Alonso slips back on medium tyres
- Mercedes: Two-stop strategy leaves Rosberg vulnerable
- Force India: Sutil equals best result of the year
Image © Motioncompany