Top ten overtakes of 2011: Vote for Pass of the Year

2011 F1 season review

Adrian Sutil, Force India, Interlagos, 2011

Adrian Sutil, Jaime Alguersuari, Interlagos, 2011

It’s been a bumper season for overtaking in F1 and almost 50 different moves were nominated by F1 Fanatic readers as Pass of the Year.

They’ve been whittled down to a shortlist of the best ten passes.

But which was the best of all? And who was the star overtaker of 2011? Compare them all and cast your vote below.

Lewis Hamilton on Jenson Button, Chinese Grand Prix

The only pass between team mates on the list – Lewis Hamilton putting one over Jenson Button in turn one at Shanghai.

Lewis Hamilton on Sebastian Vettel, Chinese Grand Prix

Another pass from the same driver in the same race. This one sealed Hamilton’s first win of the year in the dying stages of the Chinese Grand Prix. A long final stint and a malfunctioning KERS had left Sebastian Vettel vulnerable.

Michael Schumacher on Lewis Hamilton, Monaco Grand Prix

Michael Schumacher made an opportunistic move on Hamilton at Loews hairpin on the first lap at Monaco. Hamilton was rather more accommodating than Felipe Massa was when Hamilton tried a similar move later in the race.

Michael Schumacher on Felipe Massa and Kamui Kobayashi, Canadian Grand Prix

Massa was delayed by Kamui Kobayashi on lap 51 at Montreal and Schumacher took advantage, passing the pair of them for second place.

Lewis Hamilton on Fernando Alonso, German Grand Prix

Another pass by Hamilton that set him on course victory. This one came moments after he had just rebuffed a similar attempt at a pass by Mark Webber.

Mark Webber on Fernando Alonso, Belgian Grand Prix

A committed pass by Webber at one of the fastest and most dangerous corners in F1. Here’s another angle on the pass shot by a fan:

Sebastian Vettel on Nico Rosberg, Belgian Grand Prix

It’s not often you see a pass around the outside at Blanchimont but Vettel pulled it off when he came out of the pits behind Nico Rosberg during the Belgian Grand Prix.

Sebastian Vettel on Fernando Alonso, Italian Grand Prix

Fernando Alonso made one of his trademark superb starts to claim the lead at Monza. But Vettel wouldn’t be denied victory and when he tried to pass Alonso he bravely kept his foot in despite being edged onto the grass by the Ferrari driver on the outside of the flat-out Curva Grande.

Mark Webber on Fernando Alonso, Singapore Grand Prix

When Alonso’s tyres went off in Singapore Webber did not hesitate and pounced to take the position.

Fernando Alonso on Jenson Button, Brazilian Grand Prix

Alonso put Button under pressure throughout the first stint in Brazil and tried a move on the outside of Ferradura. He pulled it off as Button backed out to avoid running over debris.

Honourable mentions

The following passes all received more than one nomination but did not make the final ten:

• Jenson Button on Rosberg in Turkey, Vettel and Webber (separately) in Canada, and Hamilton and Schumacher (separately) in Italy.
  • Lewis Hamilton on Alonso in Britain, Schumacher in Monaco and Webber in Germany and Korea.
  • Felipe Massa on Webber and Button in Korea, and Kobayashi in Canada.
  • Sebastian Vettel on Hamilton in Korea and Button in Australia.
  • Adrian Sutil on Kobayashi in Japan.
  • Rubens Barrichello on Schumacher in Monaco.
  • Fernando Alonso on Vettel in Germany and Spain (at the start) and Kobayashi in Australia.
  • Kamui Kobayashi on Ricciardo and Liuzzi in Abu Dhabi.
  • Nick Heidfeld on Perez in Valencia.

Vote for the best pass of 2011

What was the best pass of the year? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Which was the best overtaking move of 2011?

• Lewis Hamilton on Jenson Button, Chinese Grand Prix (2%)
  • Lewis Hamilton on Sebastian Vettel, Chinese Grand Prix (1%)
  • Michael Schumacher on Lewis Hamilton, Monaco Grand Prix (3%)
  • Michael Schumacher on Felipe Massa and Kamui Kobayashi, Canadian Grand Prix (7%)
  • Lewis Hamilton on Fernando Alonso, German Grand Prix (9%)
  • Mark Webber on Fernando Alonso, Belgian Grand Prix (46%)
  • Sebastian Vettel on Nico Rosberg, Belgian Grand Prix (3%)
  • Sebastian Vettel on Fernando Alonso, Italian Grand Prix (20%)
  • Mark Webber on Fernando Alonso, Singapore Grand Prix (1%)
  • Fernando Alonso on Jenson Button, Brazilian Grand Prix (8%)

Total Voters: 656

Loading ... Loading ...

Vote for the best overtaker of 2011

Which driver made the best overtaking moves throughout 2011? Cast your vote and leave a comment below.

Which driver was the best overtaker of 2011?

• Sebastian Vettel (5%)
  • Mark Webber (17%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (20%)
  • Jenson Button (29%)
  • Fernando Alonso (9%)
  • Felipe Massa (0%)
  • Michael Schumacher (16%)
  • Nico Rosberg (0%)
  • Bruno Senna (0%)
  • Vitaly Petrov (0%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (0%)
  • Pastor Maldonado (0%)
  • Adrian Sutil (0%)
  • Paul di Resta (0%)
  • Kamui Kobayashi (1%)
  • Sergio Perez (0%)
  • Sebastien Buemi (1%)
  • Jaime Alguersuari (0%)
  • Heikki Kovalainen (0%)
  • Jarno Trulli (0%)
  • Daniel Ricciardo (0%)
  • Vitantonio Liuzzi (0%)
  • Timo Glock (0%)
  • Jerome d'Ambrosio (0%)
  • Narain Karthikeyan (0%)
  • Karun Chandhok (0%)
  • Nick Heidfeld (0%)
  • Pedro de la Rosa (2%)

Total Voters: 593

Loading ... Loading ...

Previous winners

2011 F1 season review

Browse all 2011 F1 season review articles

Image ?é?® Red Bull/Getty images

238 comments on Top ten overtakes of 2011: Vote for Pass of the Year

1. KateM (@katem) said on 4th December 2011, 13:42

I forgot to mention Lewis in my post – he made some decent moves but unfortunately I couldn’t ignore all the incidents when weighing up overtaker of the year. It went wrong for him too many times.

2. Grammo (@grammo) said on 4th December 2011, 13:44

For me Mark Webber at Spa, I remember it scared me.
    Man of the year, Hamilton. I have never been his biggest fan. But the guy has a will to win that has been subdued from the modern sterile F1 formula. Hats off to him.

• Grammo (@grammo) said on 4th December 2011, 14:33

The degree of restrictions placed on defending a position and the frequency of penalties handed out for “causing an avoidable incident” in my mind are to contrary to the spirit of racing. It’s Hamilton’s racing spirit that I admire. I agree it should be policed. But to me the spirit and unpredictability of racing is being lost.

• TheBrav3 said on 5th December 2011, 2:18

After a full season of criticising him the rest of the drivers have finally realised what hamilton had as early as monaco. Expect to see more lenient stewarding next year.

Interestingly though for the likes of massa and bruno they only complained after they had finally come off worse from a penalty. I think mark webber is one of few drivers to have had no collision penaltys this year and certainly the only driver with a clean slate who has said stewarding has to change so good on you mark.

3. James (@jamesf1) said on 4th December 2011, 13:51

If Webber on Alonso in Belgium doesnt win, I demand a stewards inquiry. An absolutely breathtaking manouvere.

If I could have a second choice, Schumacher’s double pass in Canada would have it.

Overtaker of the year, Schumacher.

4. Atticus (@atticus-2) said on 4th December 2011, 13:52

Alright, I did choose.

Hamilton on Button, China: Serious contender, same tyres as I remember, impeccable foreplay from both of them, slight mistake by Button, not covering the inside line enough.

Hamilton on Vettel, China: Does not come into play, Vettel had inferior tyres plus a KERS problem as Keith mentioned.

Schumacher on Hamilton, Monaco: Another serious contender, same package, no disturbing factor like new tyres, debris, etc. Hamilton’s slight mistake in Mirabeau being a tap too conservative, despite not held up – maybe his car was not as generous in that turn and he made the most of it anyway, so it’s a considerably smaller mistake than Jenson’s positioning in China, so so far so good for this one. Also Hamilton didn’t cover the inside line going into Loews, but whereas Shanghai’s Turn 1 is a general overtaking spot, Loews is anything but. Nobody expects a move there, so I don’t consider this as a fault.

Schumacher on Massa & Kobayashi, Canada: Loses out because of Kobayashi’s mistake in the chicane.

Hamilton on Alonso, Germany: Loses out on Alonso’s new cold tyres.

Webber on Alonso, Belgium: Same. Although not because those tyres causes less grip, but because of the pit stops comparative speed disadvantage for Alonso. He was ahead though, so these two factors may even themselves out. Well, dunno. Okay, contender.

Vettel on Rosberg, Belgium: Overtake of the Year for me. Impeccable drive from these two, really no disturbing factor, Vettel made it his way in Blanchimont. Priceless, brave, no handicap, etc. Rosberg was even faster by a mile or two, Vettel could have countered this by slipstream and taking the ideal line.

Vettel on Alonso, Italy: Alonso’s positioning error into and oversteering error out of Rettifilo set up Vettel’s better-hooked-up-car-anyway nicely.

Webber on Alonso, Singapore: Tyres.

Alonso on Button, Brazil: Debris.

So it’s VETTEL ON ROSBERG, BELGIUM for me.

• Atticus (@atticus-2) said on 4th December 2011, 13:54

On the podium for 2nd place is SCHUMACHER ON HAMILTON, MONACO from 3rd-placed HAMILTON ON BUTTON, CHINA, while I really don’t know whether WEBBER ON ALONSO, BELGIUM was ‘clear’ or not. If it was, it’s 2nd, if it wasn’t 4th. ‘Honourable mention’ from me. :)

5. Hairs (@hairs) said on 4th December 2011, 13:56

I don’t know why there’s a shortlist, eau rouge is going to win this. Personally I don’t like it because it’s more down to the car and the other driver than it is to the guy making the move. But like kobayashi in 2009 it has two things going for it: commentators have told us all we’re supposed to be impressed, (an analysis based on how difficult the pass would have been in a car from 10 years ago) and people like the guy doing the pass.

6. Nixon (@nixon) said on 4th December 2011, 14:00

Should have voted for Webber on Alonso, but after seeing the video I noticed that Alonso just got out of the pits. His tyres must have been cold, and Webber had the momentum with him.

7. Fixy (@fixy) said on 4th December 2011, 14:02

The choice for me was between Vettel on Alonso (Monza), Webber on Alonso (Spa), Vettel on Rosberg (Spa) and Schumacher on Hamilton (Monte Carlo). I picked Webber on Alonso at Spa.

8. Fixy (@fixy) said on 4th December 2011, 14:04

I picked Webber as overtaker of the year, but I was tempted to pick Vettel. He was often criticised as a bad overtaker in the past, but this year these rumours have quietened down as he has made some great moves (the most notables are in the article: on Rosberg at Spa and Alonso at Monza).

9. Chalky (@chalky) said on 4th December 2011, 14:05

Webber on Alonso at Eau Rouge or
    Vettel on Alonso at Monza

Both great passes. However, I went for Vettel as Alonso kept his foot in and gave Vettel the choice to try it. To have 2 wheels off the circuit, on the grass, and still go flat out around Alonso. That was impressive.

No disrepect to Webber, but I get the feeling Alonso was the one who made the choice to lift and give the position there. Still a great move. If only I could have voted twice. Such a hard choice for me.

Overall passer, I went for Button. It was close with Hamilton, although we sort of remember this season more for Hamiltons failed passing attempts than for his successful ones.

10. Where Hamilton’s China move on Button was one of my favourites, i’m surprised that the one on Vettel in the same race was nominated… it’s almost as though Seb falls out of the way for him!

Being a big fan of Michael Schumacher, it did make me smile to watch the move on Hamilton and then on Massa and Kobayashi, both opportunistic brilliance really.

It’s a difficult one but my top three are:
    1) Mark Webber on Fernando Alonso
    2) Lewis Hamilton on Fernando Alonso
    3) Fernando Alonso on Jenson Button

Strangely, despite his dreadful year, I voted for Webber as the best overtaker of 2011 – beating off Button in my opinion.

11. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 4th December 2011, 14:11

Shame you can only vote for one overtake and overtaker.
    I voted for Vettel at Blanchimont and Vettel overall.

To begin with the overtaker of the year, a lot can be said for many others – like Schumacher – but the reason for awarding Vettel my vote is the story behind it. Only last year, Vettel was called ‘the Crash Kid’. But this year, he proved he can overtake.

And not only when he needs to, but also when he wants to overtake on track, instead of in the pitlane.

Well and for the overtake of the year, I remember my amazement at Vettel / Rosberg at Blanchimont. I felt the same when Webber overtook Alonso in Eau Rouge, but I think Alonso played a bigger part in the action, than Rosberg did. I mean, Alonso had to behave to make it stick for Webber. I do recoginze that’s part of the balsy-ness of Webber’s move, to push another driver in that position.

However, I feel Vettel had to do it all by himself. He needed to keep the grip and stay on the outside line, at an amazing speed. Rosberg didn’t have to spare Vettel or anything like that. It was Vettel alone who made that move stick.

12. taurus (@taurus) said on 4th December 2011, 14:14

Webber on Alonso. No contest. Its the only one in that list that made me wince as I watched it and could have gone horribly wrong had both drivers not seen each other. Classic F1.

13. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 4th December 2011, 14:29

I’m not 100% sure which way I’ll vote yet, but methinks it’ll be one from Spa that takes the overall prize, both really incredible overtakes.

14. sumedh said on 4th December 2011, 14:32

I am not going to conisder the two most popular passes – Webber and Hamilton on Alonso at Spa and Germany respectively.
    Reason: Both involved Alonso who has just come out of the pit-stops. Hence, Fernando’s tyres were cold and he did not really have the pace to defend. You can see how easily he is out-dragged on the straight. No grip from the cold tyres.

I vote for Vettel on Alonso at Monza. That was sheer bravery. No driver had any tyre advantage at that point of the race.

15. hays33d (@hays33d) said on 4th December 2011, 14:35

On the subject of best overtaker, Webber had some great overtakes this year and arguably had the best at Spa, but it seems to me that failing to overtake should also count against him and it seemed he had many situations where he just couldn’t get passed other cars, some in crucial situations. On a similar vane, Hamilton had great passes but had so many incidents that it diminished his overall passing “record”.

Just like a driver getting the most points at the end of the season without necessarily getting the most wins, I think Button was the best overtaker due to his ability to do it consistently and without taking anyone out of the race…well…maybe Alonso in Canada…but who remembers that? ;)