2011 F1 season review
It’s been a bumper season for overtaking in F1 and almost 50 different moves were nominated by F1 Fanatic readers as Pass of the Year.
They’ve been whittled down to a shortlist of the best ten passes.
But which was the best of all? And who was the star overtaker of 2011? Compare them all and cast your vote below.
Lewis Hamilton on Jenson Button, Chinese Grand Prix
The only pass between team mates on the list – Lewis Hamilton putting one over Jenson Button in turn one at Shanghai.
Lewis Hamilton on Sebastian Vettel, Chinese Grand Prix
Another pass from the same driver in the same race. This one sealed Hamilton’s first win of the year in the dying stages of the Chinese Grand Prix. A long final stint and a malfunctioning KERS had left Sebastian Vettel vulnerable.
Michael Schumacher on Lewis Hamilton, Monaco Grand Prix
Michael Schumacher made an opportunistic move on Hamilton at Loews hairpin on the first lap at Monaco. Hamilton was rather more accommodating than Felipe Massa was when Hamilton tried a similar move later in the race.
Michael Schumacher on Felipe Massa and Kamui Kobayashi, Canadian Grand Prix
Massa was delayed by Kamui Kobayashi on lap 51 at Montreal and Schumacher took advantage, passing the pair of them for second place.
Lewis Hamilton on Fernando Alonso, German Grand Prix
Another pass by Hamilton that set him on course victory. This one came moments after he had just rebuffed a similar attempt at a pass by Mark Webber.
Mark Webber on Fernando Alonso, Belgian Grand Prix
A committed pass by Webber at one of the fastest and most dangerous corners in F1. Here’s another angle on the pass shot by a fan:
Sebastian Vettel on Nico Rosberg, Belgian Grand Prix
It’s not often you see a pass around the outside at Blanchimont but Vettel pulled it off when he came out of the pits behind Nico Rosberg during the Belgian Grand Prix.
Sebastian Vettel on Fernando Alonso, Italian Grand Prix
Fernando Alonso made one of his trademark superb starts to claim the lead at Monza. But Vettel wouldn’t be denied victory and when he tried to pass Alonso he bravely kept his foot in despite being edged onto the grass by the Ferrari driver on the outside of the flat-out Curva Grande.
Mark Webber on Fernando Alonso, Singapore Grand Prix
When Alonso’s tyres went off in Singapore Webber did not hesitate and pounced to take the position.
Fernando Alonso on Jenson Button, Brazilian Grand Prix
Alonso put Button under pressure throughout the first stint in Brazil and tried a move on the outside of Ferradura. He pulled it off as Button backed out to avoid running over debris.
The following passes all received more than one nomination but did not make the final ten:
- Jenson Button on Rosberg in Turkey, Vettel and Webber (separately) in Canada, and Hamilton and Schumacher (separately) in Italy.
- Lewis Hamilton on Alonso in Britain, Schumacher in Monaco and Webber in Germany and Korea.
- Felipe Massa on Webber and Button in Korea, and Kobayashi in Canada.
- Sebastian Vettel on Hamilton in Korea and Button in Australia.
- Adrian Sutil on Kobayashi in Japan.
- Rubens Barrichello on Schumacher in Monaco.
- Fernando Alonso on Vettel in Germany and Spain (at the start) and Kobayashi in Australia.
- Kamui Kobayashi on Ricciardo and Liuzzi in Abu Dhabi.
- Nick Heidfeld on Perez in Valencia.
Vote for the best pass of 2011
What was the best pass of the year? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.
Which was the best overtaking move of 2011?
- Lewis Hamilton on Jenson Button, Chinese Grand Prix (2%)
- Lewis Hamilton on Sebastian Vettel, Chinese Grand Prix (1%)
- Michael Schumacher on Lewis Hamilton, Monaco Grand Prix (3%)
- Michael Schumacher on Felipe Massa and Kamui Kobayashi, Canadian Grand Prix (7%)
- Lewis Hamilton on Fernando Alonso, German Grand Prix (9%)
- Mark Webber on Fernando Alonso, Belgian Grand Prix (46%)
- Sebastian Vettel on Nico Rosberg, Belgian Grand Prix (3%)
- Sebastian Vettel on Fernando Alonso, Italian Grand Prix (20%)
- Mark Webber on Fernando Alonso, Singapore Grand Prix (1%)
- Fernando Alonso on Jenson Button, Brazilian Grand Prix (8%)
Total Voters: 656
Vote for the best overtaker of 2011
Which driver made the best overtaking moves throughout 2011? Cast your vote and leave a comment below.
Which driver was the best overtaker of 2011?
- Sebastian Vettel (5%)
- Mark Webber (17%)
- Lewis Hamilton (20%)
- Jenson Button (29%)
- Fernando Alonso (9%)
- Felipe Massa (0%)
- Michael Schumacher (16%)
- Nico Rosberg (0%)
- Bruno Senna (0%)
- Vitaly Petrov (0%)
- Rubens Barrichello (0%)
- Pastor Maldonado (0%)
- Adrian Sutil (0%)
- Paul di Resta (0%)
- Kamui Kobayashi (1%)
- Sergio Perez (0%)
- Sebastien Buemi (1%)
- Jaime Alguersuari (0%)
- Heikki Kovalainen (0%)
- Jarno Trulli (0%)
- Daniel Ricciardo (0%)
- Vitantonio Liuzzi (0%)
- Timo Glock (0%)
- Jerome d'Ambrosio (0%)
- Narain Karthikeyan (0%)
- Karun Chandhok (0%)
- Nick Heidfeld (0%)
- Pedro de la Rosa (2%)
Total Voters: 593
2011 F1 season review
- The 2011 F1 season: The complete F1 Fanatic review
- Your 2011 F1 predictions revisited
- 2011 F1 statistics part 3: Stats and facts highlights
- 2011 F1 statistics part two: Vettel’s domination
- 2011 F1 statistics part one: car performance
- New 2011 rules produced best racing of last four years
- What F1 Fanatics really thought of the 2011 season
- Sebastian Vettel voted F1 Fanatic Driver of the Year
- F1 Fanatic’s article highlights of 2011
- Dominant Red Bull join F1′s top teams
Image ?é?® Red Bull/Getty images