Top ten overtakes of 2011: Vote for Pass of the Year

2011 F1 season review

Adrian Sutil, Force India, Interlagos, 2011

Adrian Sutil, Jaime Alguersuari, Interlagos, 2011

It’s been a bumper season for overtaking in F1 and almost 50 different moves were nominated by F1 Fanatic readers as Pass of the Year.

They’ve been whittled down to a shortlist of the best ten passes.

But which was the best of all? And who was the star overtaker of 2011? Compare them all and cast your vote below.

Lewis Hamilton on Jenson Button, Chinese Grand Prix

The only pass between team mates on the list – Lewis Hamilton putting one over Jenson Button in turn one at Shanghai.

Lewis Hamilton on Sebastian Vettel, Chinese Grand Prix

Another pass from the same driver in the same race. This one sealed Hamilton’s first win of the year in the dying stages of the Chinese Grand Prix. A long final stint and a malfunctioning KERS had left Sebastian Vettel vulnerable.

Michael Schumacher on Lewis Hamilton, Monaco Grand Prix

Michael Schumacher made an opportunistic move on Hamilton at Loews hairpin on the first lap at Monaco. Hamilton was rather more accommodating than Felipe Massa was when Hamilton tried a similar move later in the race.

Michael Schumacher on Felipe Massa and Kamui Kobayashi, Canadian Grand Prix

Massa was delayed by Kamui Kobayashi on lap 51 at Montreal and Schumacher took advantage, passing the pair of them for second place.

Lewis Hamilton on Fernando Alonso, German Grand Prix

Another pass by Hamilton that set him on course victory. This one came moments after he had just rebuffed a similar attempt at a pass by Mark Webber.

Mark Webber on Fernando Alonso, Belgian Grand Prix

A committed pass by Webber at one of the fastest and most dangerous corners in F1. Here’s another angle on the pass shot by a fan:

Sebastian Vettel on Nico Rosberg, Belgian Grand Prix

It’s not often you see a pass around the outside at Blanchimont but Vettel pulled it off when he came out of the pits behind Nico Rosberg during the Belgian Grand Prix.

Sebastian Vettel on Fernando Alonso, Italian Grand Prix

Fernando Alonso made one of his trademark superb starts to claim the lead at Monza. But Vettel wouldn’t be denied victory and when he tried to pass Alonso he bravely kept his foot in despite being edged onto the grass by the Ferrari driver on the outside of the flat-out Curva Grande.

Mark Webber on Fernando Alonso, Singapore Grand Prix

When Alonso’s tyres went off in Singapore Webber did not hesitate and pounced to take the position.

Fernando Alonso on Jenson Button, Brazilian Grand Prix

Alonso put Button under pressure throughout the first stint in Brazil and tried a move on the outside of Ferradura. He pulled it off as Button backed out to avoid running over debris.

Honourable mentions

The following passes all received more than one nomination but did not make the final ten:

• Jenson Button on Rosberg in Turkey, Vettel and Webber (separately) in Canada, and Hamilton and Schumacher (separately) in Italy.
  • Lewis Hamilton on Alonso in Britain, Schumacher in Monaco and Webber in Germany and Korea.
  • Felipe Massa on Webber and Button in Korea, and Kobayashi in Canada.
  • Sebastian Vettel on Hamilton in Korea and Button in Australia.
  • Adrian Sutil on Kobayashi in Japan.
  • Rubens Barrichello on Schumacher in Monaco.
  • Fernando Alonso on Vettel in Germany and Spain (at the start) and Kobayashi in Australia.
  • Kamui Kobayashi on Ricciardo and Liuzzi in Abu Dhabi.
  • Nick Heidfeld on Perez in Valencia.

Vote for the best pass of 2011

What was the best pass of the year? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Which was the best overtaking move of 2011?

• Lewis Hamilton on Jenson Button, Chinese Grand Prix (2%)
  • Lewis Hamilton on Sebastian Vettel, Chinese Grand Prix (1%)
  • Michael Schumacher on Lewis Hamilton, Monaco Grand Prix (3%)
  • Michael Schumacher on Felipe Massa and Kamui Kobayashi, Canadian Grand Prix (7%)
  • Lewis Hamilton on Fernando Alonso, German Grand Prix (9%)
  • Mark Webber on Fernando Alonso, Belgian Grand Prix (46%)
  • Sebastian Vettel on Nico Rosberg, Belgian Grand Prix (3%)
  • Sebastian Vettel on Fernando Alonso, Italian Grand Prix (20%)
  • Mark Webber on Fernando Alonso, Singapore Grand Prix (1%)
  • Fernando Alonso on Jenson Button, Brazilian Grand Prix (8%)

Total Voters: 656

Loading ... Loading ...

Vote for the best overtaker of 2011

Which driver made the best overtaking moves throughout 2011? Cast your vote and leave a comment below.

Which driver was the best overtaker of 2011?

• Sebastian Vettel (5%)
  • Mark Webber (17%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (20%)
  • Jenson Button (29%)
  • Fernando Alonso (9%)
  • Felipe Massa (0%)
  • Michael Schumacher (16%)
  • Nico Rosberg (0%)
  • Bruno Senna (0%)
  • Vitaly Petrov (0%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (0%)
  • Pastor Maldonado (0%)
  • Adrian Sutil (0%)
  • Paul di Resta (0%)
  • Kamui Kobayashi (1%)
  • Sergio Perez (0%)
  • Sebastien Buemi (1%)
  • Jaime Alguersuari (0%)
  • Heikki Kovalainen (0%)
  • Jarno Trulli (0%)
  • Daniel Ricciardo (0%)
  • Vitantonio Liuzzi (0%)
  • Timo Glock (0%)
  • Jerome d'Ambrosio (0%)
  • Narain Karthikeyan (0%)
  • Karun Chandhok (0%)
  • Nick Heidfeld (0%)
  • Pedro de la Rosa (0%)

Total Voters: 593

Loading ... Loading ...

Previous winners

2011 F1 season review

Browse all 2011 F1 season review articles

Image ?é?® Red Bull/Getty images

238 comments on Top ten overtakes of 2011: Vote for Pass of the Year

1. soundscape (@soundscape) said on 5th December 2011, 4:43

If I’m honest, I voted before watching those videos, and picked Mark Webber. However having watched them, I wish I’d chosen Seb! Some breathtaking moves there. I didn’t really think he had to do much overtaking this season.

2. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 5th December 2011, 5:23

I voted for Schumacher taking Massa and Kobayashi in Canada. Although the Webber-Alonso pass through Eau Rouge was impressive, it was also very gentlemanly. Alonso didn’t put up much of a fight because he knew Webber was faster, so that kind of took the shine off it for me.

3. webber/Alonso and vettel/Rosberg at Spa and Vettel/Alonso at monza are the three most impressive overtakes for me because of the speed.
    really brave stuff by the two redbull drivers.

and no mention of alonso’s start in spain, from 4th to 1st

4. TimG (@timg) said on 5th December 2011, 9:50

Webber on Alonso at Eau Rouge, for me. Incredible bravery and commitment, once Webber had decided to go for it there was no backing out.

Had it gone wrong the result would have been a plane crash – a similar passing attempt on Jacky Ickx in a 1985 Group C race led to an accident which killed rising star Stefan Bellof (everyone remembers Senna closing down Prost at Monaco in 1984, few remember Bellof closing in on Senna at the same time).

But honourable mentions must surely go to Sebastian Vettel – much-derided as a driver who couldn’t pass his rivals on the track, nominated twice above. For my money, Monza was his best – passing Fernando Alonso, flat-out, on the grass was fairly special.

5. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 5th December 2011, 9:50

Vettel on Alonso, Monza.

I just love the audacity of it. Vettel was like ‘errr…that’s MY spot thank you very much!’. A pretty ballsy move that could have gone very badly but he made it stick in the most unusual of places.

From a more personal point of view, a minute previous had I seen Alonso heading the pack as me and two friends were seated at the exit of Parabolica. Witnessing a jubilant Tifosi in the flesh was pretty much the top item on my shopping list that weekend, to then be followed by what I consider overtake of the season, having to squint at the large screen to see it, just magnificent.

6. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 5th December 2011, 10:12

Oh and Button gets my vote for best overtaker of the season.

I just love his style. He’s extremely calm and cool and strikes when it matters most, often unannounced. Don’t get me wrong, I love the occasional flash of aggression we get from Hamilton for example, but personally, seeing Button just breeze by has been so much more satisfying.

7. juan fanger (@juan-fanger) said on 5th December 2011, 10:31

10 best overtakes of the year:
    1. Hamilton on Button Canada,
    2. Hamilton on Kobayashi Spa,
    3. Hamilton on Maldonado Monaco,
    4. Hamilton on Maldonado Spa,
    5. Hamilton on Webber Canada,
    6. thru 10. Hamilton on Massa Monaco, India, Singapore, Silverstone, Japan.

Overtaker of the year: Hamilton. He just makes overtaking look so incredibly easy.

• KeeleyObsessed (@keeleyobsessed) said on 6th December 2011, 9:04

@juan-fanger Umm… Not sure how any of those class as overtakes..
      Here’s what happened in each scenario, in case you really can’t remember:
      1: Hamilton retired
      2: Hamilton retired
      3: Hamilton gets penalised
      4: Hamilton gets ‘reprimand and warning’
      5: Webber spins
      6: Hamilton penalised, Massa out
      7: Massa penalised, Hamilton staying out of trouble (lucky in my opinion, but there you go)
      8: Hamilton changes wing AND gets penalty
      9: R

• KeeleyObsessed (@keeleyobsessed) said on 6th December 2011, 9:07

9: Racing incident on the last corner, No penalties given (rightly)
      10: Racing incident, I believe it was investigated, but no action taken…

Now, please tell me how any of those overtakes could possibly fill criteria for ‘Best overtakes of the year’

8. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 5th December 2011, 11:54

Despite having made the most passes prior to the Brazilian Grand Prix, Sebastien Buemi is languishing in the results at the moment:

Buemi and Schumacher are top overtakers – Mercedes

9. Infi24r (@infi24r) said on 5th December 2011, 11:57

Webber wins the best racer of the year award easily. China, coming from so far behind at Monaco after the bad pitstop, the pass at Spa. Practically every race had some amazing overtaking and racing by Mark.

10. KeeleyObsessed (@keeleyobsessed) said on 5th December 2011, 13:24

So glad the Button-Vettel Canada overtake isn’t in this..

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great moment, and it’s an overtake that’ll get replayed over and over again, but it’s not in the same league as these 10..

I voted for Vettel-Alonso Monza, but I can’t say that Webber-Alonso Spa was a bad overtake, a worthy winner…

11. Andrew McElroy said on 5th December 2011, 13:29

I´m disagree , in my view in this article missing the best overtaking of this season and probably from many years.

Lewis Hamilton on Felipe Massa coming into the tunnel at Monaco, camera on-board Lewis Hamilton , repeatedly banned from the server , but if you seek you can still locate.

Check archive and tell you. When it has made an overtaking in this area of the circuit?

This is the most difficult to make, added change of light to entry at tunnel in a zone where never was advanced in Mónaco.It anyway I give my vote to Mark Webber on Fernando Alonso, Belgian Grand Prix mostly because it is a very delicate zone if Alonso doesn´t yield,would been a serious accident and I say for this:

Fatal crash of Stefan Bellof (Spa 1985).

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 5th December 2011, 14:10

I could be wrong but I don’t remember anyone nominating that pass.

Hamilton wasn’t the only driver to make a pass in the tunnel this year though – Rosberg did as well, on Petrov. The difference was, both of them made it out of the runnel in one piece!

• Andrew McElroy said on 5th December 2011, 15:44

Not only is my opinion, is the opinion of two professional F1 drivers that so commented it on TV in this race.

you saw the video , true?.

You are very clever ,to generate opinions be must expose all data ,a computer program can´t properly assess the problems if the data you entered are incorrect.Perhaps Lewis was also guilty that Massa has forgotten that driving off the ideal line within the tunnel have as a results in losing the rear of your car and crash against the guard rails, is this perhaps also fault of Lewis Hamilton this circumstance,not?.

Massa’s excuse that he had damaged his aerodynamics is quite ridiculous especially if this video is viewed on which it´s clear that the problem wasn´t in his Ferrari but rather in his head,in his poor head.But for saw this is neccesary view this video.How they can nominate videos if they are intentionally deleted with reiteration of servers?..is then impossible to create an opinion.

I would like you indicate me a link to the maneuver Petrov on Rosberg because sincerely I don´t remember ,I’m not saying doesn´t exist if not would be found references now. I tell you to evaluate this fight and have an opinion to respect.

Thanks.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 5th December 2011, 16:00

I’ve no idea what you’re talking about. Nomination was done through the forum page linked in the article.

I did post a tweet with a video of the Rosberg/Petrov move shortly after the race, but I see the video’s been taken down now. If you can get your hands on a copy of the onboard broadcast from the race, it’s in there, shot from Hamilton’s perspective I think.

• Andrew McElroy said on 5th December 2011, 17:01

fine, we’ll see how long you last without erased?

10 times removed from Youtube,I suppose this will obtain the guiness record of bans
            thanks by the “famous” copyright.

don´t be created opinion without watch it all … don´t speak in particular about F1Fanatic
            nor is it a critic at your article, is in general about all the media,that are who created states of opinion.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 5th December 2011, 17:06

I’m not being funny, I literally don’t know what you mean.

I’m not saying the pass never happened, I remember seeing it. It didn’t make the final ten because not enough people nominated it. That’s all there is to it.

12. Alain (@paganbasque) said on 5th December 2011, 14:54

My vote goes to Michael in Monaco. To overtake at Loews a car which is much faster than you is something amazing!!! and he did ti twice(the second with Nico).

Mark´s movement in Belgium is great but his car was clearly faster than the Ferrari. The same happes with Sebastian and Nico.

13. Gagnon (@johnniewalker) said on 5th December 2011, 15:55

just to show how these kind of vote arent worthy….. Vettel have vote for best overtaker and he made only 1 move I remember in all year….. doesnt deserve any vote

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 5th December 2011, 16:02

@johnniewalker

If you’d bothered to read the article you’d see it mentions four of his passes. Given that you obviously haven’t, you’re hardly in a position to complain about how others have voted.

• Gagnon (@johnniewalker) said on 5th December 2011, 16:05

I agree I forgot the vettel on rosberg and some other maybe, but I cant see how guys vote vettel instead of webber, button or alonso…… vettel have done everything great this season and did an awesome job to get this championship but no hes not best overtaker of the year, definatly

• Probably because when he had to overtake, he did it very well. He was fast and clean.
          The first lap in Korea is a perfect example of his overtaking skills.

14. Younger Hamii (@younger-hamii) said on 5th December 2011, 17:04

I think there’s an overtake or two that a lot of people forgot to mention and they were both in the same race & involved great opportunism(I havent read through all of the comments so they may or may not be mentioned already);

Alonso on Massa – Spa 2011 – Late braking down the inside at the rarest of corners that you’d expect action to take place in Spa and thats Rivage,It was literally on the limit as well as the requirement,eagerness to get pass his Inferior team-mate

Hamilton on Massa – Spa 2011 – This is personally very under-rated & this is one of the things makes Lewis Hamilton really admired;Making Opportunities for himself & when presented to him,making them work.After Alonso fended off a feisty counter attack from Massa after Rivage,Lewis saw his opportunity to strike & he knew that getting Massa needed to be done ASAP if he’s going to catch the drivers up ahead & down the inside of Felipe on the rundown to the High Speed Pouhon & braking to complete the maneuver was opportunism at its greatest.

• Kotrba (@kotrba) said on 5th December 2011, 20:53

I also didnt forget…

this maneouvre is in official review in formula1.com at 1:33

It was a fantastic move, I cant remember pass before Pouhon for years…

15. mrgrieves (@mrgrieves) said on 5th December 2011, 20:39

Webber on Alonso at Eau Rouge was the best mve since Alonso on Schumacher in 2006. Sheer class

• Kotrba (@kotrba) said on 5th December 2011, 20:56

Webber on Alonso is the same situacion as Hamilton on Alonso at Germany GP, Alonso was leaving from pits that lap and Webber/Hamilton had already done some laps on that compound

16. AndresM (@andresm) said on 5th December 2011, 21:06

To me the best overtakes were:
    WEB on ALO- Spa
    ALO on BUT- Brazil
    VET on ALO- Monza

The overtaker of the year to me was Alonso.

There is one pass I liked a lot which was ALO on SCH in China

17. sw6569 (@sw6569) said on 6th December 2011, 0:00

I’m sure this will be lost among the posts … but the best overtake of 2011?

Romain Grosjean.

Webber’s move on Alonso comes close, but Romain made the field look like amateurs. Just listen to the commentator!

• katederby (@katederby) said on 6th December 2011, 16:46

I remember watching the multiple overtake my Grosjean, just brilliant! He was a cut above the rest all season and I really hope he gets a seat at LRGP next year.

18. nano_rock (@nano_rock) said on 6th December 2011, 3:35

Sebastian on Fernando definitly. Webber pass on Alonso was on the out lap, advantage to webber on better tyre situation

19. Wooolfy said on 6th December 2011, 8:23

The best move IMO is that of Lewis Hamilton on Filipe Massa in the tunnel in the Monoco 2011 round. Just brilliant! Was never even mentioned.

20. Shimks (@shimks) said on 6th December 2011, 9:58

I voted Webber/Alonso/Spa for best overtake. It was ridiculous to attempt that, really – could have ended very badly – but that kind of grit is what racing is all about. The most exciting thing I’ve seen since kindergarten when I showed her mine and she showed me hers.

I didn’t vote for best 2011 overtaker. I really have no idea and it definitely wasn’t Kamui this season.