Mercedes will run their 2012 F1 car for the first time at the second pre-season test next year.
It marks a departure from the team’s previous policy of running their new car at the first test session.
The car, which will be called the W03, will make its first public appearance at the Circuit de Catalunya.
Mercedes also announced the team’s title will change to Mercedes AMG Petronas in 2012.
Chairman of Mercedes-AMG Ola Kallenius explained the change of title: “The Mercedes AMG brand promises ?óÔé¼?£Driving Performance?óÔé¼Ôäó ?óÔé¼ÔÇ£ and what better embodies this philosophy than the intense competitive arena of Formula One?
“It is an historic first for the AMG name to be associated to the works Silver Arrows team, and offers fantastic opportunities: first, to further build the sporting identity of the Mercedes AMG brand through one of the world?óÔé¼Ôäós most-watched and most successful sports; second, to explore and deliver technology transfer between road and track.
“This is already being practised with the SLS AMG E-Cell project, whose electric powertrain will be developed as a joint venture between Mercedes AMG and our F1 engine specialists in Brixworth.”
More information on the 2012 F1 season.
Keep track of all the car launch, test sessions, races and more with the F1 Fanatic Google Calendar
2012 F1 season
- 2012 F1 season Blu-Ray “Victorious Vettel” reviewed
- 2012 F1 season DVD “Victorious Vettel” reviewed
- New team radio reveals Vettel’s penalty protests
- The complete F1 Fanatic 2012 season review
- What F1 Fanatics thought of 2012: The year in polls
- The drivers and cars of 2012
- F1 Fanatic’s 50 article highlights of 2012
- 11 different Driver of the Weekend winners in 2012
- Who F1 Fanatic readers supported in 2012
- Fernando Alonso voted F1 Fanatic Driver of the Year
Browse all 2012 F1 season articles
Image ?é?® Julien Leroy / firstlap.be