2011 F1 season
Update: Find the new F1 Fanatic gift guide for 2012 here:
Whether you’re an F1 fan with a wish list, or looking for a gift for the F1 Fanatic in your life, find over a hundred gifts ideas below.
This year’s list includes a range of new F1 DVDs, a fresh crop of books and a £1,000 Scalextric model of Suzuka.
Find the right F1 gift for you below.
2011 F1 season official review DVD
It’s long overdue, but the official F1 season review is available in high definition for the first time this year.
But you’ll have to wait until after Christmas to get your hands on it. Due to the late finish of the season the review, “He’s Done It Again”, is not in the shops until December 26th.
This terrific documentary of Ayrton Senna’s F1 career, constructed entirely out of period footage, will be an essential purchase for many F1 Fanatics.
- “Senna” – the Ayrton Senna movie reviewed
- The Making of “Senna” – F1 Fanatic’s nine-part series on the making of the film
Grand Prix Heroes series
A new series of 11 videos published by Duke which cover the careers of F1 drivers including Jackie Stewart, James Hunt, Niki Lauda, Emerson Fittipaldi, Jody Scheckter, Mario Andretti, Ronnie Peterson, Clay Regazzoni and Peter Revson.
Another video tells the history of Frank Williams and his team, the last in the current series looks at Mika Hakkinen’s path to Formula 1.
- Buy Niki Lauda – Grand Prix Hero DVD
- Buy Clay Regazzoni – Grand Prix Hero DVD
- Buy Mika Hakkinen – Grand Prix Hero DVD
- Buy Ronnie Peterson – Grand Prix Hero DVD
- Buy James Hunt – Grand Prix Hero DVD
- Buy Jackie Stewart – Grand Prix Hero DVD
- Buy Mario Andretti – Grand Prix hero DVD
- Buy Frank Williams – Grand Prix Hero DVD
- Buy Emerson Fittipaldi – Grand Prix Hero DVD
- Buy Peter Revson – Grand Prix Hero DVD
- Buy Jody Schecter – Grand Prix Hero DVD
Goodwood Festival of Speed 2011
Always a highlight of the racing season, the Goodwood Festival of Speed attracted countless great Formula 1 cars.
The DVD review of this year’s Goodwood Revival has also been released:
Other motor sport DVDs
Season reviews and films from other racing championships:
- 2011 Le Mans 24 Hours Blu-ray DVD review
- Le Mans 24 Hours DVD review
- BTCC 2011 season DVD review
- World Rally Championship 2011 DVD review
- 2011 Moto GP season review DVD
- TT3D: Closer to the edge Blu-ray DVD
- TT3D: Closer to the edge DVD
More F1 season review DVDs
Fill the gaps in your collection:
- 2010 F1 season review DVD – “Sebastian’s Coming of Age”
- 2009 F1 season review DVD – “Not in a Hurry”
- 2008 F1 season review DVD – “Luck does not come into it”
- 2007 F1 season review DVD – “Kimi made it at last”
- 2006 F1 season review DVD – “Once again”
- 2005 F1 season review DVD – “Fantastic Fernando”
- 2004 F1 season review DVD – “Michael does it again”
- 2003 F1 season review DVD – “Michael & co.: The dream team”
Not enough for you? Here’s some more F1 video gift ideas.
F1 2011 – The official Formula 1 game
The second generation of Codemasters’ F1 game now features the safety car plus more players in multiplayer mode, as well as all the cars, drivers and tracks from the 2011 season.
It’s also now available for Nintendo 3DS as well as PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC.
After you’ve grabbed yourself a copy, get gaming with the many other F1 Fanatics playing F1 2011 in the F1 Games groups.
Other racing games
- Buy World Rally Championship 2 (WRC2) for PlayStation 3
- Buy World Rally Championship 2 (WRC2) for Xbox 360
- Buy World Rally Championship 2 (WRC2) for PC
F1 Fanatic T-shirts
Official F1 Fanatic wear is now available in a range of three styles:
- Buy the F1 Fanatic original logo T-shirt now from Unlap
- Buy the F1 Fanatic “Real racers don’t need team orders” T-shirt now from Unlap
- Buy the F1 Fanatic “Second place is the first loser” T-shirt now from Unlap
And you can get the same styles in mug form too:
- Buy the F1 Fanatic original logo mug now from Unlap
- Buy the F1 Fanatic “Real racers don’t need team orders” mug now from Unlap
- Buy the F1 Fanatic “Second place is the first loser” mug now from Unlap
Find all the F1 Fanatic gear in the Unlap F1 Fanatic shop
Memories of Senna
Prolific Senna biographer Christopher Hilton sadly passed away earlier this year. This is his latest book on the great Brazilian driver, published this year:
McLaren: The wins
A history of McLaren’s racing victories. Also available as a boxed set with “McLaren: The cars”, detailing all their road and racing cars up to 2008.
Red Bull Racing 2010 F1 car Haynes Owners’ Workshop Manual
Not quire everything you need to know to service an RB6, but this mock Haynes manual offers some interesting insight into modern F1 car design.
Bernie Ecclestone biographies
Just two months after Susan Watkins’s book on Bernie Ecclestone appeared, another biography of the F1 tycoon arrived from Tom Bower.
Watkins’ “Bernie” and Bower’s “No Angel” make for an interesting comparison in how different two books on the same subject can be: the former serious and quite sympathetic to its subject matter, the latter written with more flair but lacking in attention to detail in places.
Both are also available in paperback.
In the name of glory: 1976, the greatest ever sporting duel
Soon to be the subject of a feature film, Tom Rubython tells the story of the 1976 F1 season and championship battle between Niki Lauda and James Hunt.
Tiff Gear: The autobiography of Tiff Needell
Fifth Gear (and former Top Gear) presenter Tiff Needell only had a brief career in Formula 1. But his autobiography, published this year, is packed with interesting anecdotes from the world of motor racing and motoring television, and plenty of Needell’s trenchant opinions.
Derek Bell: My racing life
Another former F1 driver best known for his driving in other disciplines: in this case Derek Bell’s remarkable sportscar racing record, including five victories in the Le Mans 24 |Hours.
Driven by Desire: The Desire Wilson story
Desire Wilson’s claim to fame is being the only woman to win a race for F1 cars – not a championship event, but a round of the British series in 1980 at Brands Hatch. Wilson also tried to qualify for that year’s British Grand Prix, and makes some damning claims about her treatment at the hands of other F1 drivers.
Competition Car Aerodynamics
This updated second edition of Simon McBeath’s guide to racing car aerodynamics is very much one for the technically-minded.
Other F1 books
Some of the popular F1 titles released last year:
- Collage – A collection of photographs, newspaper articles, prorgrammes and more telling the story of Jackie Stewart’s F1 career
- The Battle for the British Grand Prix – Alan Henry on how the British Grand Prix was saved
- Jochen Rindt: Uncrowned King – An excellent biography of F1′s only posthumous champion, released to coincide with the 40th anniversary of his death
- Grand Prix Showdown! – A history of championship-deciding races in F1
- The Science of Formula 1 Design – Exploring modern F1 car technology (read the review)
- The Golden Age of Formula 1 – A photographic anthology by Rainer Schlegelmilch
The latest edition of the leading Grand Prix annual includes an electronic copy of the 1971 book.
Autocourse are in the process of offering vintage editions of their earlier motor racing review annuals. The 1971 book is the only one available on CD at present, some other copies are available via their website:
Autocourse: 60 years of world championship Grand Prix motor racing
An extra edition published last year to mark the first 60 seasons of the world championship.
Other F1 annuals
Alternative annuals with less expensive prics tags:
- Buy the Official Formula 1 Season Review 2011
- Buy the Official ITV Sport Formula One Annual 2012
- Buy James Allen on F1 2011
Not found the F1 book you’re looking for? Find more in the F1 books section.
PJ Tierney posters
Check out PJ’s fabulous series of Formula 1 prints.
Car-a-day by Rob Ijbema
Rob Ijbema paints a range of racing car pictures and supplied one for the runner-up in the 2011 F1 Fanatic Predictions Championship.
F1 photographer Darren Heath’s spectacular pictures are available to buy as prints.
You can get cars for all the different drivers and teams – here’s a small selection of choices.
- Sebastian Vettel World Champion Red Bull RB7 presentation (1:18 scale)
- Jenson Button 1st Hungarian Grand Prix 2011 (1:43 scale)
- Lewis Hamilton 1st German Grand Prix 2011 (1:43 scale)
- Fernando Alonso Ferrari F150° 2011 (1:43 scale)
- Michael Schumacher Mercedes W02 2011 (1:43 scale)
- Sergio Perez Sauber C30 2011 (1:43 scale)
- Paul di Resta Force India VJM04 2011 (1:43 scale)
- Pastor Maldonado Williams FW32 2011 (1:43 scale)
- Jerome D’Ambrosio Virgin MVR-02 2011 (1:43 scale)
- Daniel Ricciardo HRT F111 2011 (1:43 scale)
What could be a better present for an F1 fan than tickets to see a race?
Buy tickets for the race of your choice via the links below. Several of them offer “early bird” discounts if you buy tickets far in advance of the race.
And remember to join in the F1 Fanatic groups for each race to see who else is going:
- Buy Australian Grand Prix tickets | Going to the Australian Grand Prix at Melbourne
- Buy Malaysian Grand Prix tickets | Going to the Malaysian Grand Prix at Sepang
- Buy Chinese Grand Prix tickets | Going to the Chinese Grand Prix at Shanghai
- Buy Bahrain Grand Prix tickets | Going to the Bahrain Grand Prix at Bahrain International Circuit
- Buy Spanish Grand Prix tickets | Going to the Spanish Grand Prix at Circuit de Catalunya
- Buy Monaco Grand Prix tickets | Going to the Monaco Grand Prix at Monte-Carlo
- Buy Canadian Grand Prix tickets | Going to the Canadian Grand Prix at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve
- Buy European Grand Prix tickets | Going to the European Grand Prix at Valencia Street Circuit
- Buy British Grand Prix tickets | Going to the British Grand Prix at Silverstone
- Buy German Grand Prix tickets | Going to the German Grand Prix at Hockenheimring
- Buy Hungarian Grand Prix tickets | Going to the Hungarian Grand Prix at Hungaroring
- Buy Belgian Grand Prix tickets | Going to the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps
- Buy Italian Grand Prix tickets | Going to the Italian Grand Prix at Monza
- Buy Singapore Grand Prix tickets | Going to the Singapore Grand Prix at Marina Bay
- Buy Japanese Grand Prix tickets | Going to the Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka
- Buy Korean Grand Prix tickets | Going to the Korean Grand Prix at Korea International Circuit
- Buy Indian Grand Prix tickets | Going to the Indian Grand Prix at Buddh International Circuit
- Buy Abu Dhabi Grand Prix tickets | Going to the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix at Yas Marina
- Buy United States Grand Prix tickets | Going to the United States Grand Prix at Circuit of the Americas
- Buy Brazilian Grand Prix tickets | Going to the Brazilian Grand Prix at Interlagos
A simple ‘stocking-filler’ idea:
- Buy the Autocourse 2012 calendar
- Buy the official Ferrari F1 calendar 2012
- Buy the official McLaren F1 calendar 2012
- Buy the Michael Schumacher 2012 calendar by Rainer Schlegelmilch
Scalextric C1253 Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 1:32 Scale Race Set
Race as Lewis Hamilton or Jenson Button in this slot car set complete with cars, tracks and controllers.
Got plenty of space in your front room? Have more than a grand to blow on the ultimate slot car racing circuit?
This model of the Suzuka Circuit, home of the Japanese Grand Prix, comes with six cars which can race simultaneously and is built from 87 pieces of track. It’s yours for £1,099:
Brooklands are selling the rights to sections of the banking to raise money to protect the historic circuit. Portions of the old track are sold by the square yard and prices start at £95:
This was included in last year’s gift guide – although it’s four-digit price tag put it beyond the reach of all but the richest Ferrari fans.
However there are now cheaper, cut-down versions of the book available for a variety of tablet devices and e-readers. Find out more here:
Amalgam 1:8-scale F1 car models
Huge 1:8-scale F1 car models with price tags to match – these cost around £3,000 each.
- Sebastian Vettel Red Bull RB7 Japanese Grand Prix 2011 (1:8 scale)
- Fernando Alonso Ferrari 150° British Grand Prix 2011 (1:8 scale)
Are you buying or hoping to receive an F1 gift this year? Share what’s on your list in the comments.
F1 Fanatic earns a commission on products sold via the links to our affiliate partners above, however you are not charged any extra.
You can help support F1 Fanatic when you buy any products (including non-F1 purchases) from Amazon. See here for more information.