Vettel: “Pushing hard to finalise 2012 car”

F1 Fanatic round-up

In today’s round-up: Sebastian Vettel says the team is working hard on next year’s car.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

??These kinds of seasons don’t happen every year but we’re already focused on next season. Adrian [Newey] and the guys are working hard to get the car ready for next year and we move on.

??Being 24, it would be sad to say that has been the highlight of my life and from now on it only gets worse! Even if I retire one day I will still wake up in the morning and think that my best day is still to come.??

Mark Webber says results not age will decide his Formula 1 future (Autosport)

??Mark Webber says his decision on when to retire from Formula 1 will not be based on his age, but on whether he is still delivering results.??

Paul Di Resta: ??Vettel won because he had the best car?? (James Allen)

??We had the same car, same engine, same tyres and I beat him. I don?t want to diminish Vettel?s achievement (this year), but he won the championship because he had the best car. He did his job, but another driver in the same car would probably have achieved the same results. I hope one day to have the same opportunity.??

Mark Webber Challenge raises a million dollars for charity (James Allen)

??The Swisse Mark Webber Tasmania Challenge has drawn to a close after a five gruelling days, in which Webber himself competed in the early stages.??

Mark Webber via Twitter

??Love driving late at night on English A roads in the winter,high beam on,no big kangaroos jumping out,and turbos loving the cold air. #apexs??

Follow F1 news as it breaks using the F1 Fanatic live Twitter app.

Comment of the day

The 2011 F1 driver rankings has caused a fiery discussion. Estesark says:

I can?t believe you put X driver ahead of Y driver. Y was miles better. This list is rubbish and you clearly don?t know anything about F1. I?m never visiting this website again. In fact I?m never using the internet again. I hope you?re happy, ??Keith??, if that is your real name; you?ve ruined my life.

Waaaaaaa.
Estesark

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Andrew Hey and Christian Andrade!

If you want a birthday shout-out tell us when yours is by emailling, using Twitter or adding to the list here.

On this day in F1

Happy birthday to Emerson Fittipaldi who turns 65 today.

Coincidentally, so does Renzo Zorzi, who made seven F1 starts in the mid-seventies.

98 comments on Vettel: “Pushing hard to finalise 2012 car”

1. Nixon (@nixon) said on 12th December 2011, 9:46

Thanks Paul!

2. KeeleyObsessed (@keeleyobsessed) said on 12th December 2011, 10:29

Another driver in the same car would have achieved the same results… Let me get this straight..
    Another driver..
    In the same car…
    Same results..
    So it’s Webber’s fault, isn’t it…

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 12th December 2011, 12:53

I guess there the point is to be the one guy, not the other. Because with one of them winning this much, the second driver could have achieved 2nds maximum at quite a few races.

That is not to say, that I think Webber got the most out of the car this year.

3. OMG Paul!! The same argument was on in 2007 on LH’s rookie achievements. Mansell is still bitter about it till today making the same statements Di Resta Senr is making. Some1 wrote the story has not been confirmed. I would wait for the confirmation first.

COTD: I will readily supply you with a rope ;) And as for those of us who hang around here at fanatics, we are loving it!! :)

4. Sebastian Vettel already focused on making 2012 Formula 1 campaign even better (Autosport)

I bet he was focussed on it as soon as he won this year’s WDC…

5. Dafffid (@dafffid) said on 12th December 2011, 12:59

Calm down dear, it’s just a commercial.

Sounds to me like Di Resta is not certain he’s got the Force India drive and is, understandably, promoting his credentials a bit.

6. themagicofspeed (@) said on 12th December 2011, 15:54

For the benefit of the sport,i sincerely hope Vettel and RBR have a shockingly poor season next year. This season was so stale by the end it was like trying to suck water from a corpse in the desert. The last thing F1 needs is another Vettel induced bore-fest. Even if it ends up with my favoured team losing, i hope there is more than 1 person in with a chance of the WDC. There was little point anyone else turning up from the mid-season onwards; it was over already.

We need a close-fought battle to inject much needed life.

7. themagicofspeed (@) said on 12th December 2011, 16:08

I’d like to see a lot of drivers/teams in with a shot.. Why not have Alonoso, Massa, Button, Schumacher, Webber, Vettel in a title shot at the final race, and all starting at the back? Now thats exciting, and in complete contrast to this year.

And in 2010, Vettel was simply in the right place at the right time. If Vitaly Petrov had not got in his way, Alonso would more than likely have been WDC. I consider Vettel only a 1x world champion, and along the same lines, Hamilton 0x world champion.

8. It seems some Vettel fans are as just sensitive as fans of other top drivers when anyone dares to say anything negative about their hero.

As ever unless we can see the full transcript we don’t know what was discussed in the interview beforehand or how the question to di Resta was worded.

I don’t see what was so wrong about what di Resta said, everyone knows that most of the time you need the best car to win the championship and he says that Vettel “did his job”.

Does anyone think that if another of the top drivers such as Alonso was in Vettel’s position and Vettel at Ferrari that Alonso wouldn’t have won the title?

People say that the first measure for any driver is against their teammate, and when di Resta and Vettel were teammates and had the same equipment di Resta came out on top.

It is the way of motorsport that no matter the skill of the driver a certain amount of luck is needed in being in the right place at the right time and having the right backers to make it all the way to the top.

I think most reasonable F1 fans will acknowledge that Vettel is a special talent and he had an almost flawless season in 2011.

9. Master firelee (@master-firelee) said on 12th December 2011, 19:39

On another note you can really feel the passion in kimi’s interview

10. necrodethmortem (@necrodethmortem) said on 12th December 2011, 22:06

I don’t mind PDR’s comment, but I would like to remind him he didn’t even beat his own team mate THIS year and that Mark Webber, “another driver in the same car”, did NOT “achieve the same results”.

11. F1fanNL (@) said on 13th December 2011, 0:18

“We had the same car, same engine, same tyres and I beat him.”

And the year before you had a better car and lost to Vettel by almost the same amount of points you had. And Di Grassi beat you like Vettel has beaten Webber this year.

Your point Di Resta?

12. JamieFranklinF1 (@jamiefranklinf1) said on 13th December 2011, 15:10

In regards to what Paul Di Resta said, I don’t think it’s strictly true. Sebastian Vettel has done a phenomenal job this year, and although if he was in a different car he might not have achieved the same kind of results, I think he would still have been a very serious competitor nonetheless, as he will be for years to come unless he finds himself in an uncompetitive car.

I do think next year Vettel and Webber might be a little closer in terms of performance, but I do not doubt that Vettel will still be highly regarded as the favourite for taking a third title.

13. Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed! Very useful info specially the last part :) I care for such info much. I was seeking this particular info for a long time. Thank you and good luck.