Former F1 driver Luis Perez-Sala has taken over from Colin Kolles as team principal at HRT.
Perez-Sala, 52, said: “This naming is an honor but also a great responsibility.
“I joined the team as an advisor to the new owners and to contribute with my experience in any possible way. We had to establish a base from which to grow slowly and we are now seeing the first rewards of that work.
“But we mustn?óÔé¼Ôäót lose our perspective and be aware that assuming responsibilities such as designing the car or moving the headquarters to Spain are huge tasks and we still have a lot of work ahead.
“We must be patient and keep in mind that we cannot expect to achieve great success in the short term, but we can take a team forward that we can all feel proud of. The simple fact that Spain has a team in the pinnacle of motorsports is already a great feat; we?óÔé¼Ôäóre a part of the G12. And that, apart from being an honor, means a greater development to the structure and everything surrounding it.”
Perez-Sala made 26 starts for Minardi in 1988 and 1989, with a best finish of sixth in the 1989 British Grand Prix.
HRT team CEO Saul Ruiz de Marcos said: “Since we began working with Luis our connection has been great. Now he takes on a much more key role in the team but the decision was an easy one given his knowledge and his way of doing things. It is the best decision we could make.
“I would like to also thank Colin and Manfredi [Ravetto] for their work and dedication in these two years that the team has existed and I wish them the very best for the future.”
2011 F1 season
- New video of Maldonado and Hamilton’s Monaco crash
- How well do you remember the 2011 F1 season? Take the F1 Fanatic quiz
- The 2011 F1 season: The complete F1 Fanatic review
- Your 2011 F1 predictions revisited
- Barrichello tipped to stay at Williams
- 2011 F1 statistics part 3: Stats and facts highlights
- 2011 F1 statistics part two: Vettel’s domination
- 2011 F1 statistics part one: car performance
- New 2011 rules produced best racing of last four years
- What F1 Fanatics really thought of the 2011 season
Browse all 2011 F1 season articles
Image ?é?® Motioncompany