Hulkenberg in, Sutil out at Force India for 2012

2012 F1 season

Adrian Sutil, Nico Hulkenberg, Force India, Abu Dhabi, 2011

Adrian Sutil, Nico Hulkenberg, Force India, Abu Dhabi, 2011

Nico Hulkenberg will return to F1 in 2012 with Force India, the team has confirmed.

Hulkenberg will join Paul di Resta in the team’s race-line up for next season.

The news leaves Adrian Sutil without a race seat having spent the last five years with the team.

Team principal Vijay Mallya said: “Our new line-up means we say ‘goodbye’ to Adrian Sutil, who has been with the team since we entered the sport. He has been an integral part of our success over the past four seasons and we wish him well for the future.”

Mallya added: “In Paul and Nico we have two extremely talented drivers with tremendous potential.

“I think Paul caught the eye of everybody in the pit lane during his rookie season. His speed, maturity and racecraft confirmed that we were right to believe in him and we look forward to working with him again next year.

“As for Nico, we identified him as a rising star at the end of 2010 and chose to evaluate him during the course of this season. Despite having only limited time in the car, he convinced us that he deserved a race seat for 2012.”

Hulkenberg said: “I?m obviously delighted to be staying with Sahara Force India and to be given the chance to race next year.

“It wasn?t easy to watch from the sidelines this season, but I did my best to help the team and show what I was capable of. I?m extremely motivated for 2012 and would like to thank everyone for believing in me and giving me this chance.

“I?m keen to get down to work over the winter to develop our new car and help the team build on this year?s achievements. The first test in Jerez can?t come soon enough.”

Di Resta said: “I?ve said all along that I love being part of this team: they are ambitious, hungry for success and we work well together. I?m really excited about 2012 and there is a real sense of belief that we can continue to push the top teams and take another step forward.”

See the updated list of 2012 F1 drivers and teams.

2012 F1 season

Browse all 2012 F1 season articles

Image ?? Force India F1 Team

125 comments on Hulkenberg in, Sutil out at Force India for 2012

1. BrawnGP (@brawngp) said on 17th December 2011, 10:11

Very good news

2. john (@johnf1fanatic) said on 17th December 2011, 11:55

I Like Sutil, and hope he gets a drive. Hulkenberg has talent and it will be good to see him racing.

I dont like the fact that Sutil will proberly end up with a lesser team.

3. OOliver said on 17th December 2011, 12:47

I don’t see what is so fantastic about Hulkenberg’s pole. He did it on a drying track and was fortunate to have started his laps earlier.
    Barichello put the Jordan on pole at Spa, I believe in 1994, under similar conditions.

It is a well known fact that slick tyres on a drying track will make you a hero. If you happen to be fortunate enough to have just enough time to make it to the pits for your tyre change.

If he had say taken pole on a wet Monaco, that would be something. But when most of the runners had intermediates and he had slicks, it becomes a fluke result.
    He is a good enough driver, but not suddenly better than all the other 23.

4. Shimks (@shimks) said on 19th December 2011, 13:15

Most people here seem to be hoping that Sutil gets a seat at Williams. But Williams are in a terrible condition at the moment. Still, at least it would keep him on the grid for another year. I’d much rather see Alguesari and Buemi get the remaining seats.

It’s a great shame for Rubens – if he’s leaving the sport – to not have celebrated a proper goodbye drive and party.

How many F1 fans are there around the world? If one million of us agreed to put £10 into a pot, we’d have £10 million to sponsor a driver of our liking!

5. TheJudge (@thejudge) said on 21st December 2011, 23:27

I like the decision made by Force India. Hulk and Di Resta are fast and tallanted drivers with lots of speed in them. Watching Paul racing past season was a pleasure. It’s obvious that he has growing speed in him. If FI builds a good car for them,these two could bring a pleasent surprise next season.
    As for Sutil- he’s a good driver,during the seasons with Force India,he has grown massiveley. Now he just need to trust he’s agents and hope they get him a seat in williams or a test seat in one of the top teams like Merc or someone else.

6. monkey mgee (@jokerinthepack) said on 2nd June 2012, 4:14

I, like many of you like Sutil. However, he should never have stabbed that dude in the neck with a wine glass. When you go around doing stuff like that it turns people off a bit.