Massa “never gives you room” – Hamilton

F1 Fanatic round-up

In the round-up: Lewis Hamilton discusses his run-ins with Felipe Massa in 2011.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Hamilton on new McLaren, Massa and fighting Button for world title (James Allen)

“We often found ourselves close together and [Felipe] Massa is a difficult driver to pass because he never gives you any room. But it?s not something to over-dramatise. I have nothing against him.”

BBC Radio 5 Live on Twitter

“I am delighted to welcome James Allen to the 5 Live F1 team!”

Pippa Mann: ‘The big thing in a crash is to relax’ (The Independent)

“There is no reason why a woman can’t race in Formula 1. You have to be incredibly fit but you have to be very fit to race IndyCars. In Formula 1, because they have power steering, the steering weight, in terms of sheer brute strength, is actually fairly light. The IndyCar steering weight is pretty heavy because there is no power steering. When I drove a Formula 1 simulator I was shocked at how light the wheel felt.”

Kimi Raikkonen: “It will be nice to get back to racing” (Lotus)

“Sometimes you hear some nonsense and sometimes you hear nice things. The main thing is that coming back is what I wanted and I have a good opportunity with the team so I’m happy.”

Schumacher: Mercedes just needs a small step (GP Update)

“I’m sure Mercedes and I will be successful. We just need another small step and then we can make it to the top.”

Kingfisher Airlines in default, a non-performing asset: SBI (The Times of India)

“State Bank of India, cash-strapped Kingfisher Airlines’ largest creditor, has called the Vijay Mallya-led air carrier a non-performing asset.”

Why politics will take centre stage in F1 2012 (Autosport, subscription required)

“Concorde permits teams to make preparations for a breakaway series from January 1, although, saliently, they are prohibited from making any public statement to this effect until after the finale of the 2012 world championship, save for responding to direct media enquiries from July 1, 2012 onwards.”

Follow F1 news as it breaks using the F1 Fanatic live Twitter app.

Comment of the day

Chalky on the dilemma faced by drivers like Sebastien Buemi:

He?ll have to be careful he doesn?t end up with a Pedro de la Rosa type of career too if Mark Webber stays or is replaced by someone else.

Part you envies F1 drivers. But then imagine you get to F1, and you find that no matter how hard you try you are always that small percentage off being spectacular.

What do you do? Keep going blindly hoping that you?ll get sponsorship to keep you in F1 or do you resign to the fact that you?ll have to go into some other category.
Or drive like a madman and wait to get lucky in a FW14B.

Only a few will ever be spectacular, but Red Bull are a top team and should rightly be only picking top drivers.
Chalky

From the forum

Site updates

I’ve had several questions about certain aspects of the site including @-messages and embedding videos and images in the forum, so I’ve updated the FAQs:

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Sparckus and Martin Rasmussen!

On this day in F1

Stirling Moss won the non-championship New Zealand Grand Prix 50 years ago today. It was his first time at the wheel of a Lotus 21, and he won by well over a minute and a half in very wet conditions.

John Surtees was the only other driver to finish on the lead lap, the first of a trio of Coopers including Bruce McLaren and Roy Salvadori.

132 comments on Massa “never gives you room” – Hamilton

1. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 6th January 2012, 13:11

I think people might be reading a little too much into Hamilton’s comment. I think it’s Lewis’ subtle way of paying Felipe a compliment, in the most sportsmanlike way he can.

2. “We often found ourselves close together and [Felipe] Massa is a difficult driver to pass because he never gives you any room.

He doesn’t really have to. I find it a nice change when Hamilton isn’t just waved through. The only thing I don’t like is when these two snipe at each other or refuse to talk to one another after the races.

3. antonyob (@) said on 6th January 2012, 15:36

you cant pass at monaco without trying something like that so that example is nonsense. for sure hes made mistakes. show me a man who hasnt and i’ll show you one who hasnt made a decision. give me 10 lewis’ in F1 over 10 massa’s any day. those who dont like him tend not to like his personality and lets say some countriys fans for more ugly reasons perhaps. either way he tries stuff, i’ll never be critical of that.

adding the word “dangerous” is emotional poppycock. motor racing is dangerous fullstop.

4. MinusTwo (@minustwo) said on 6th January 2012, 16:53

Did anyone else find Pippa Mann’s comments very interesting? The part about how she receives less discrimination in the States than in Europe really surprised me. It wasn’t at all what I expected.

Personally, I really hope there is a competitive female driver in F1.

Not only would it be super cool, I think it a lot of women might actually be BETTER suited for the cockpit than many men, considering what is required for F1. An F1 driver is a bit like a horse-racing jockey: Lighter is better. Provided that someone is fit enough to withstand the forces in the car, a tiny female driver weighing 100 pounds would be a huge advantage compared to a 170 pound dude.

I think that is why a lot of F1 drivers are basically midgets. Lewis Hamilton is shorter than my wife.

• David BR (@david-br) said on 9th January 2012, 17:25

Yes I did find them interesting. Also ironic and a bit sad that this story is almost totally ignored in favour of more tedious discussion over Massa and Hamilton, which shold left to the dustbin of 2011.

This quote from Pippa Mann about the idea of competing in Formula 1 says it all:

I couldn’t be bothered to deal with that level of prejudice in Europe. The media perception is more extreme in Europe. I have one good race and I’m the walking re-incarnation of Ayrton Senna. I have one bad race and I should never have been allowed out of the kitchen. It’s not like that in the States.

Two things, the extreme media sensationalism, and the fact that one poor race by a woman in F1 and the whole idea would be rubbished. Still think it will happen one day and hope so. But if the discussions (e.g. Massa v. Hamilton) are already fairly juvenile, imagine then…

5. MinusTwo (@minustwo) said on 6th January 2012, 16:55

Sorry, should apologize for using the word “midget”.. I think the correct term nowadays is “Little person”… Lewis Hamilton is basically a Little Person.

6. antonyob (@) said on 6th January 2012, 16:58

as long as the woman can take 5 lateral G thru her neck muscles theres no reason.

but evolution has made more men at each end of the athletic scale so you tend to ge more completely useless men and more superhuman ones. women as in most things are more concentrated in the middle area. its the same with intelligence. more bozos are males and more geniuses. but of course discrimination doesnt help.

i for one am training my 2 yr old daughter already.

7. If folks are interested, back in 2009 we did an interview with Pippa in which she talked at length about fitness, training, racing as a woman, and the different attitudes in the US and Europe. It was quite eye-opening stuff and – being Pippa, who’s wonderfully quotable – it was also quite blunt in places.
    Link here:

8. Dan8 (@dan8) said on 8th January 2012, 17:43

Lets face it – Hamilton & Massa are never going to get on with each other

9. TheJudge (@thejudge) said on 9th January 2012, 13:32

Can someone please stop this at last? Otherwise this subject,discussion,major fight between these two and their fans is starting to get on everyone’s nervs.

10. The Limit said on 9th January 2012, 23:11

I feel sorry for Bruno Senna. He was doomed from the start because of his name and that is a great, great shame. Personally I don’t think he had that bad of a season in 2011, and he lacks the experience of many of his peers yet still put in some sterling performances. Granted, he didn’t exactly set the world alight but he didn’t make an arse of himself neither.
    When you compare him to others who have driven their entire careers in the mid-pack and whine about their lack of power steering I think Bruno is the perfect professional. He didn’t go groaning to his native media like Vitaly Petrov did when things at Renault went pearshaped, and he comes across very well in interviews.
    I laughed very hard at Hamilton’s snipe at Massa. I guess now, after saying that, Lewis will expect Felipe to jump out of his way in 2012 everytime he sees Hamilton’s McLaren in his mirrors. If he does he really is in more trouble than I thought!

11. Robbie (@robbie) said on 12th January 2012, 15:48

I’m sure MS is dillusional if he thinks a small step is all they need…given that 9 times out of 10 the WDC winner had the WCC winning car, I would think it is safe to say Merc needs a leap in performance, not just another small step. And whatever gain they make, he still has to do something he hasn’t been doing…beat NR…before he can even think of ‘the top.’

But hey, what else is he going to say at this point, right?