‘Simplify and add lightness': A few design changes at F1 Fanatic

F1 Fanatic

You may have noticed some revisions to the layout of the site today.

The changes are far less radical than the last alteration to the site and are mainly aimed at making it easier to navigate, quicker to load and offer easier navigation.

The most significant changes are on the front page where you’ll notice the ‘grid’ format has been retired and replaced with a more conventional list of stories.

Beneath the top ten stories you’ll find a simple page list which allows you to browse through every article posted on F1 Fanatic.

Underneath that is another new feature – the top top most commented stories over the past 31 days. This is intended to help you keep up with the most popular content on the site. To the right of that is a revised list of latest articles across a range of categories.

There have been a few other changes throughout the site to improvement performance, reliability and fix some minor problems. Among them you should notice that logging in no longer redirects you to the home page – instead you are returned to the page you came from.

There are a few outstanding known problems which still require fixes, including on the mobile site. These will be addressed in future.

In the meantime if you have any feedback on today’s alterations please post details in the comments below. You can make suggestions for the site and report technical problems using the links below:

78 comments on ‘Simplify and add lightness': A few design changes at F1 Fanatic

1 2 3
  1. Tyson Evans (@bobtehblob) said on 8th January 2012, 15:36

Looks good to me so far mate. Never really liked the grid in the first place. Articles would get knocked off the front page pretty quickly, especially during GP weekends. Where if you wanted to check an article from the day before. A quick trawl of your history was often required!

Top commented is a great idea for the same reason. Makes it much easier to check back on all the huge debates going on here from people who know a lot more about F1 then I do!

2. Tom Haxley (@welshtom) said on 8th January 2012, 15:41

First comment for me! Long time reader of the site.

I liked the grid, however the list is nice too. I don’t mind change – keeps everything fresh.

Decided to register here as BBC Sports pages (and their bloggers) are so dire and ill informed its become unreadable for me.

hello all!

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 8th January 2012, 15:51

Welcome @welshtom!

• George (@george) said on 8th January 2012, 17:16

I hope you’re not one of those people that spam ‘NO TO SKY’ in the comments of every article, that really started to get on my nerves.

I find Mark Hughes’ articles very good, and it’s interesting to read Webber’s thoughts, Benson is quite often wide of the mark though.

• Tom Haxley (@welshtom) said on 8th January 2012, 17:39

No, I wasn’t registered on there. The Sky deal does suck, but as with most things in life, there are a tiny minority which control the majority and unless you have untold riches or someone rich backing you, us mere mortals will never occupy those positions of power.

Its one of those “1st world problems” that are highly hilarious to read. “Oh I cant watch F1 for free” is a major drama in peoples lives, while children in Africa would be happy with a square meal a day… in context its a non starter of a problem. I’m in no way a crusader for that stuff but I can accept that money talks, crap happens, just get on with life.

I think this way of posting is a lot better as conversations can spring up and not distract from the main blog or other comments etc. Everyone can reply to each other and get on with it not read through 50 comments and see people still referring to post 23 or post 2.

I couldn’t deal with the constant factual errors and total ignorance of some of them. Also no mention of any other drivers apart from the top 6 most of the time.

Webber’s posts were ok, though somewhat scripted I felt. I’m not his biggest fan to be honest.

phew long post haha

• choiMatthew said on 8th January 2012, 17:38

Quite liked the Grid look – but agree with that the news gets pushed away too quickly during GP weekends

I’m sure you’ve weighed the up and downsides well, but I think it’s just me that I prefer viewing more stories in the screen-area

3. Slr (@slr) said on 8th January 2012, 15:42

The best Formula One site in the world just keeps getting better. I personally never had a problem with the grid format, but it is slightly easier to navigate a straight list of articles.

4. realracer (@realracer) said on 8th January 2012, 15:50

Nice change, can’t imagine what your like at home re-arranging furniture.

5. damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 8th January 2012, 15:53

I liked it when it was like this before, and was sad to see the list layout go for the grid layout, but I think I was finally used to it! :P

I much prefer this layout, however. I’m especially pleased to see the return of the pages at the bottom, which should make finding articles from a few days back (a problem I often face if I’ve been offline for a few days) a lot easier.

The only remaining problem I can see is the “commenting on F1 Fanatic” page is still not working.

Other than that, though, great job! Thanks Keith!

6. Deurmat (@deurmat) said on 8th January 2012, 16:07

So much better than the previous look, I always thought that was a step backwards.

7. BenH (@benh) said on 8th January 2012, 16:12

Happy to see the login change. Have fallen foul of that one before a few times. Keep up the good work!

8. Noura said on 8th January 2012, 16:13

Great work Keith. Maybe you should make the “description” longer at the homepage under the main title? to fill the white space.

It reminds me of the old design :) I liked it.

• markus said on 8th January 2012, 18:02

I disagree I feel a more white space is needed. I like the new look but it is feels a bit squinched. More space under your header[title] would balance things out as well.

Two possibilities the type under the header could be a lighter version for more contrast giving it that white space I feel it needs. Or header type could be less bold opening up a bit of breathing space.

9. Gridlock (@gridlock) said on 8th January 2012, 16:20

Mr Chapman would be proud ;)

10. I like it, but I think the latest news should be bigger to the rest of the articles, like what PlanetF1 do, have a bigger image, and a bigger comment and things at the top so you can see whats brand new :) keep it up!!

11. Tiago Carvalho (@tiagocomodoro) said on 8th January 2012, 16:56

Congratulations Keith!
    Its really nice, every new layout give us a KERS to keep coming here, the most complete F1 website!

12. SennaNmbr1 (@sennanmbr1) said on 8th January 2012, 17:01

What manner of witchcraft is this? :D

13. celeste (@celeste) said on 8th January 2012, 17:44

I like how it looks, nicely done :)

Just one question how do you go to the archive part of the blog?

14. McBride (@mcbride) said on 8th January 2012, 17:58

@KeithCollantine First and foremost, I love the redesign. Way better usability. Unfortunately the login link in the comments section led me to an error.

My only recommendation for the site is that your logo ‘brand’ is really lo-res at the top of the pages. I understand that you have ad space up top that is fixed but you should consider getting your graphic design person to take the vector file of your logo and sizing it to your desired size rather than re-sizing an existing jpeg. I like your logo but it looks a bit blocky and crap. It takes away from the crispness of your re-design.

Minor I know, but still worth a mention.

15. PieLighter (@pielighter) said on 8th January 2012, 18:11