‘Simplify and add lightness': A few design changes at F1 Fanatic

F1 Fanatic

You may have noticed some revisions to the layout of the site today.

The changes are far less radical than the last alteration to the site and are mainly aimed at making it easier to navigate, quicker to load and offer easier navigation.

The most significant changes are on the front page where you’ll notice the ‘grid’ format has been retired and replaced with a more conventional list of stories.

Beneath the top ten stories you’ll find a simple page list which allows you to browse through every article posted on F1 Fanatic.

Underneath that is another new feature – the top top most commented stories over the past 31 days. This is intended to help you keep up with the most popular content on the site. To the right of that is a revised list of latest articles across a range of categories.

There have been a few other changes throughout the site to improvement performance, reliability and fix some minor problems. Among them you should notice that logging in no longer redirects you to the home page – instead you are returned to the page you came from.

There are a few outstanding known problems which still require fixes, including on the mobile site. These will be addressed in future.

In the meantime if you have any feedback on today’s alterations please post details in the comments below. You can make suggestions for the site and report technical problems using the links below:

78 comments on ‘Simplify and add lightness': A few design changes at F1 Fanatic

1. leroy (@leroy) said on 8th January 2012, 21:56

I like the change, having more content is good. One of the things I love about the old layout was the preview underneath each article title, just a few lines to get a glimpse at the article. Any chance we can see that return?

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th January 2012, 11:24

@leroy Nope I’ve decided to drop it. It just adds another step in publishing new articles which slows things down. And you’ve already got a one-line introduction and an image.

2. manatcna (@manatcna) said on 9th January 2012, 1:25

One word – Impressive

3. shrayyef (@shrayyef) said on 9th January 2012, 1:57

it’s now looking like more like a blog which it is.
    nice work i liked the page number so i can go back to whenever i wanted.

4. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 9th January 2012, 2:06

To be honest I kind a liked the old grid system. Do you have any place where we could see the list of people who have commented over the past 31 days?

• Mike (@mike) said on 9th January 2012, 2:45

Same, the grid was iconic too.

• Mike (@mike) said on 9th January 2012, 3:45

Having said that, I didn’t like the grid when we first got that either.

I’m a grumpy bugger aren’t I? :D

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 9th January 2012, 8:02

I know what you mean @mike, I was not thrilled when i first saw the grid. But now I miss it!

The changes below that (articles most commented on) and the fact that this way its easier to find a recent article on big news days (upcoming car presentations, testing, race weekends) makes it a defenitive positive for me.

5. Skinnious said on 9th January 2012, 2:18

I like it. May I suggest a couple of small CSS changes for the front page though?

At the moment, the date/comments text is far too bold. Since it’s right aligned, too, it makes your eye jump uncomfortably after reading the headline of the story. I’d suggest either swapping the entry_subtitle and the date/comments. Or, even easier, just change .entry_meta_first from font-weight: bold, to normal. Just did this with firebug and it looks a lot lighter and nicer.

I also noticed that in this CSS class, the margin-right is set at 5px, while the whole .homepage-intro box has no margin. I’d suggest setting .homepage-intro from 430px to 425 and adding the 5px margin there instead. This way, the text won’t be able to go all the way to the grey line.

6. Jack Flash (Aust) said on 9th January 2012, 3:23

I like it. Front page scroll list makes things a lot easier to find, even older stories.
    Thumbs up from me, Keith. JF

7. RumFRESH (@rumfresh) said on 9th January 2012, 4:07

This is great. I had a hard time going back and looking at earlier articles. The new layout definitely helps!

8. pankit2000 (@pankit2000) said on 9th January 2012, 5:12

Hey Keith,

Like the new design change … makes it a hell lot easier to navigate and go through older articles …
    Like the tiles too but it was a little tedious if you ever wanted to go through old articles …

Big Thumbs Up to the new look and 2012 season …

Regards
    Pc

9. OOliver said on 9th January 2012, 6:40

F1fanatic has almost turned full circle. This is close to the original theme.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th January 2012, 11:26

It’s closer to a previous theme but not the original one – I’m probably the only person who remembers what it first looked like and I’m not going back to that any time soon. I’ll dig out a picture if I can.

10. attarda (@attarda) said on 9th January 2012, 6:49

Great job keith keep it up. I’m a daily reader and it keeps better each time.

I like more the new look.

Looking forward for the first test as it seems long long time now!!!

11. CNSZU said on 9th January 2012, 9:24

Keith, please upgrade your logo too and add countdown timers to the next GP/practice session. Also, I don’t like the “notify me of followup comments” checkbox because I get emails for all new comments for the thread, I would prefer to only get emails for replies to my post. Thanks.

It’s good that you keep focus on the community/comments because that’s what makes this site stand apart from the hundreds of other fan/news sites.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th January 2012, 11:22

Thanks for the idea. I’m not using a countdown timer at the moment because it would just add more weight to the page and besides people can always use the F1 Fanatic Google Calendar.

If you register you can receive notifications when people respond to your posts via @-messages which you might find more useful than using the email comment subscriptions.

12. SouthPawRacer (@southpawracer) said on 9th January 2012, 10:43

Very nice changes, @keithcollantine… much better to navigate and preserves front-page status for a longer time.

On another note… 930 pages of articles?! Just goes to show you how comitted Keith and the other contributors are to this blog.

13. sid_prasher (@) said on 9th January 2012, 19:53

Looks very neat!

One suggestion – can we reduce the footer a bit? the driver list takes up too much space…

14. ed24f1 (@ed24f1) said on 10th January 2012, 0:21

The one feature that I think still really needs to be re-added is a link to the last page of forum threads from the forum directory.

15. UKFan (@) said on 10th January 2012, 2:43

Both pretty and simple, great update thanks!

16. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 10th January 2012, 8:28

Looking good to me. Looking forward to a proper browse.

17. Maciek (@maciek) said on 10th January 2012, 12:45

My two little cents: I find that the right-hand column now takes (or now seems to take) up more space than before, those buxom “create a cartoon you” ads there are a bit overly represented and overall the new layout seems a bit more cluttered somehow; but of course it’s all down to personal taste – it’s not gonna make me check in for my F1 fix any less often.