Ferrari recruit top Bridgestone tyre technician

2012 F1 season

Felipe Massa, Ferrari, Barcelona, 2011

Tyre warm-up was a persistent problem for Ferrari last year

Ferrari has recruited former Bridgestone technical director Hirohide Hamashima to improve its understanding of tyre performance.

Ferrari suffered persistent problems getting the harder of Pirelli’s tyre compounds to work with its car in 2011.

Hamashima oversaw Bridgestone’s supply of tyres in F1 until the manufacturer left at the end of 2010. He will report to technical director Pat Fry along with another new hiring, Steve Clark.

Clark, who takes the role of track engineer, joins the team from Mercedes.

2012 F1 season

Browse all 2012 F1 season articles

50 comments on Ferrari recruit top Bridgestone tyre technician

1. Dobin1000 (@dobin1000) said on 11th January 2012, 12:52

Can I be the first to suggest a conspiracy?

;¬)

2. f1andy83 said on 11th January 2012, 13:00

I am actually amazed this is the first we hear about something like this.

3. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 11th January 2012, 13:01

What are they trying to achieve here? A better understanding of their tyres and how the car uses them, sure … but Hamashima was working on the Bridgestones two years ago, and the current Pirellis behave completely differently. In order to be of any use whatsoever, Hamashima would first have to understand the Pirelli compounds, then he would have to understand the car, and then he would have to understand both together – and all before he can be of any use to Ferrari. I’m sure the long-term benefits will be fantastic. But in the short term? I don’t see any easy solutions presenting themselves.

• Calum (@calum) said on 11th January 2012, 13:16

It’s how it starts though isn’t it, signing up lots of talents in various areas, hoping it all comes together in the long term. Ferrari are reassembling a “dream team” once again, they have the best driver signed up, have nicked some key personel from Mclaren and now they will reap the long term benefits their new tyre expert will bring to the team.

Mercedes have been doing this over the last year: got the driver signed up, and have brought in some big name designers , in order to build a team that can be succesful.

• yohei (@yohei) said on 11th January 2012, 13:16

Are you a tire engineer? What can you understand about tire engineering? I’m sure he has a method to analyze something about tire matching…and Ferrari employed him. That mean…he is worth takeing on as a Ferrari engineer!!!
      Well…I just wonder that he will quit BS?

• Mike (@mike) said on 11th January 2012, 13:17

Ferrari had problems understanding the tyres… They bring in someone who has had years of deep understanding about how they work?… I don’t see the problem to be honest.

Good move by Ferrari I think.

• coefficient (@coefficient) said on 11th January 2012, 13:28

I think you underestimate the level of technical information the teams receive from the tyre manufacturer regarding construction and compound and all that stuff is just a light bed time read for an engineer of Hamashima Sans calibre.

Mclaren made the same move of hiring a former Bridgestone engineer towards the end of 2010 in readiness for the tyre switch over and arguably had the best tyre management of the field relative to their own car performance.

This should help Ferrari a lot and quickly. Tyres are one of the few components the teams can get a handle on relatively quickly. Look at the durability of the Pirelli’s at the beginning of the season compared with the end and that’s all down to teams fin tuning their cars to get more out of them.

• Spaulding (@spaulding) said on 11th January 2012, 13:57

For years, Ferrari had Bridgestone in its back pocket and during alot of that time, the entire Bridgestone F1 team was geared specifically towards making the compounds for Ferrari’s car. Therefore, it is likely that Ferrari didn’t have a strong in house tire expert as most of this work was performed by Bridgestone, and my guess is Hirohide was one of those people. Acquiring someone who would fill this role was quite a smart from my viewpoint and will likely pay off quickly, expecially once testing gets upderway and data on any tire compound changes can be gathered.

Also, you would be amazed at how quickly an engineer that is focused in a field can get a specific issue under control.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 11th January 2012, 14:19

@Prisoner Monkeys…agreed that in the short term it probably would have been better hiring HH last year so they could understand the Pirelli’s better in time to affect the design of the 2012 car…that said, the team I’m sure has quite of bit of capacity without HH to have found some solutions for this year’s car. As have all the teams no doubt put a ton of thought and R&D into this huge issue last year as they began their 2012 projects.

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 11th January 2012, 14:33

Don’t forget the guy is an engineer and they are used to being challenged, of course HH won’t work together he will get feedback from Ferrari engineers… in my point of view, it’s a smart move

• vjanik said on 11th January 2012, 16:06

PM, i think he can be of use to Ferrari from the first day. A person of his experience will get up to speed pretty quickly.

I dont see what else you expect Ferrari to do, short of hiring Paul Hembery.

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 12th January 2012, 13:06

@prisoner-monkeys You would like to think that while they may not be able to benefit in the immediate future from the hiring of a former Bridgestone employee, at least they will have a wealth of knowledge about last year and also an approach that respects the Pirelli compounds more.

• sid_prasher (@) said on 13th January 2012, 16:43

I feel that some one with such rich experience and specialized knowledge will be a very good addition to the team – especially since getting the tyres working optimally hasn’t been ferrari’s strength in the past couple of years…

4. Ferrari are stuck in the glory days- it’s a Pirelli man they need! :P

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 11th January 2012, 14:02

Ya ideally a Pirelli man, and furthermore a Pirelli headquarters at their private test track.

Seriously though, I sure can’t see how this can hurt. I doubt that Pirelli has used magic to make their mandated soft-ish tires. I’m sure Bridgestone could have done the same if that was their directive from the FIA. I’m sure HH will only need to see some data on these tires to come pretty close to understanding Pirelli’s formulae, and therefore I see this as an asset for the team and I hope it results in them getting closer to the Red Bulls and the Macs for 2012.

• Yeah, it’s easy to joke but I don’t think this is a bad thing. Okay, the tyres from BS are very different to Pirelli’s but this guy will have a wealth of knowledge about making tyres work, how they operate etc. and so he’ll still be very useful I think.

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 11th January 2012, 18:59

Lets not forget that HH has worked with all the teams on the grid regarding tyre management. I’m sure that knowledge is worth a lot of money.

This was quite a good move on Ferrari’s part.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 11th January 2012, 20:09

Yeah, I have seen people in the know commenting that McLaren did a good job with a Bridgestone guy to help get behind how to use the tyres in 2010 as well.

I am pretty sure a tyre guy who focusses on optimising this part of team operations will help them overcome the endless trouble they had with the harder compounds last year at Ferrari.

• sumedhvidwans (@sumedhvidwans) said on 11th January 2012, 17:18

Not necessarily Pirelli man. But a tyre man.

The skill-set gained by a person whether he works in a McKinsey or a BCG is going to be fairly similar. You can hire either of them.

I think Ferrari have got a good catch here. They have been struggling with tyres for a while now.
      2007 – They were too soft on tyres resulting in poor performance in cold and rainy conditions
      2008 – Kimi couldn’t get them up to temperature
      2009 – Excessive degradation
      2010 – Lets face it, not one soul in the paddock had any problem with the ultra-durable bridgestones
      2011 – Very slow on hard tyres.

This move can only be good!

• raymondu999 (@raymondu999) said on 12th January 2012, 0:19

2009 degradation? Where have you heard that? The only team I remember having DEGRADATION issues in specific were Red Bull. The Ferrari in fact if I remember correctly was the kindest.

5. Tayyib (@m0nzaman) said on 11th January 2012, 15:12

I think it is a good decision on behalf of Ferrari, ideally they should have got someone from pirelli but there could have been the possibillty that the other teams would complain about having an advantage. It shouldn’t hinder him too much isn’t his job to understand how different tyre types react with different car charecteristics and Ferrari definitely need help on the tyre problems, possibly because of a conservative downforce level on the car.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 11th January 2012, 15:24

Lol, I think if they got someone from Pirelli then we could run with the first post, that being Dobin1000′s suggestion of a conspiracy, which I hope was tongue in cheek given that it is a Bridgi man they hired.

6. Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 11th January 2012, 16:02

it seems that Pat Fry become the new Team Principle I think Domenicali’s role now is more related to the administration & management the technical decisions are Pat’s business he’s doing a grate job in strengthening the aero-department this is the List of former McLaren employee’s now at Ferrari:
    Ioannis Veloudis CFD
    Giacomo Tortora Aerodynamics
    Lawrence Hodge Aerodynamics
    Rupad Darek Simulation studies/Aerodynamics
    Jonathon Heal Composites/stress Engineer
    Neil Martin Research
    Steve Clark Racing Operations

7. Roald (@roald) said on 11th January 2012, 17:38

No surprise Domenicali discribed the new car as “different, not particularly pretty and we hope, quick”… I really hope FIA spends the next few years trying to find ways to make the cars look better, because they seem to be getting uglier with the year…

8. Monosodico (@monosodico) said on 11th January 2012, 18:01

I’m wondering … what counter measures is the McLaren’s managament taking to avoid this departures hurt them?

9. Monosodico (@monosodico) said on 11th January 2012, 18:42

the word believed is missing in the last post , sorry my english is terrible I know

10. F1Yankee (@f1yankee) said on 11th January 2012, 20:16

they sure as hell needed to do something about their tire situation, presto. if 2012 is a repeat of 2011, not even domenicali is safe.

11. lewymp4 (@lewymp4) said on 11th January 2012, 20:34

If the Mclaren pitwall at China in 2007, had listened to the advice given to them by Mr. Hamashima, Lewis would then have probably claimed the 2007 WDC. Mr. Hamashima who attended the race in China as Bridgestone’s director of motorsort tyre development, strongly at the time advised the Mclaren pitwall to bring Lewis in 5 laps…….5 laps before his ill-fated retirement.

The 2007 Chinese GP immediately comes to my mind, when ever I see the name of Hirohide Hamashima.

12. Sumant said on 11th January 2012, 20:57

Didn’t force India also employ a Bridgestone engineer at the start of last season?. I Remember reading somewhere that this engineer helped them to improve Pirelli tire wear resulting in longer stints…

13. Ribf1 (@) said on 12th January 2012, 11:11

Strong move by FERRARI

14. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 12th January 2012, 13:08

Sounds like a good move and I’m sure it will help them in the long-term and certainly with 2013 development.

Makes me wonder though, have any other teams got such high profile tyre specialists?