Kubica suffers injury setback after fall

2012 F1 season

Robert Kubica, Renault, Valencia, 2011

Kubica's prospects of an F1 return in the near future have suffered a blow

Robert Kubica’s recovery from injuries sustained in a rally accident last year has suffered a setback.

Kubica injured his right leg after slipping on a patch of ice near his home in Italy.

After being taken to hospital in the vicinity Kubica request to return to the clinic in Pietra Ligure where he had treatment after his rally crash last year.

According to Autosport, Kubica reopened the fracture in his right tibia in the fall.

Robert Kubica rally crash

Image ?é?® Renault/LAT

60 comments on Kubica suffers injury setback after fall

1 2 3
  1. Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 11th January 2012, 19:03

sad news it seems that bad luck is always following him
    is he always under contract with Lotus?

2. Oli Peacock (@olliekart) said on 11th January 2012, 19:05

Real shame this, i really hope this isn’t what completely ends Kubica’s career

• snowman (@snowman) said on 11th January 2012, 19:56

Don’t think a broken leg is that big of a disaster and they are saying if he has just broken his leg the recovery will only be prolonged weeks not months.

• WidowFactory (@widowfactory) said on 11th January 2012, 20:38

It says in the article he reopened the fracture he sustained in the original rally accident, so this has definitely set back his recovery for the worse, i think weeks would be very optimistic

• lionel said on 12th January 2012, 13:49

this news is expired. not a tibia and not reopened :)
          a little injury of the ankle, does not matter much for his recovery.

3. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 11th January 2012, 19:06

As someone who’s suffered a re-opened fracture, even though Kubica is made of sterner stuff than I this is going to be a niggle for him every time he steps into a racing car. These drivers take batterings that we can’t imagine, especially the legs and I wouldn’t want to risk a weaker bone in that kind of scenario. I myself am protective of my left arm even though it was more than 10 years ago. I can only imagine that that 1% little doubt would play on his mind when on the ragged edge.

That’s if he’d ever have come back at all, before or after this latest development.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 11th January 2012, 19:16

Being religious, he might take it as a hint, that its not the right thing for him to do, a return to racing.

• Tayyib (@m0nzaman) said on 11th January 2012, 19:28

I desperately hope not, he is such a highly skilled driver on a par with Hamilton, Button etc. I was secretly hoping he’d join the new “Dream Team” Mercedes and give us a highly talented team of Rosberg and Kubica. Get well soon Robert and we really want you back in F1

• Nick.UK (@) said on 12th January 2012, 0:43

I was looking forward to seeing him at Ferrari with Alonso! I think his need for more time to recover was a massive (yet never mentioned) factor in allowing Massa to stay. Afterall, why would Ferrari want to keep a driver who failed to score a podium all season and who i think only attained fourth on one occassion.

I reccon its because the team know him, he has a sufficient amount of skill to make the constructors realistic in the event the car is competative. Why would Massa himself want to leave such a great seat. Long run, keep him until Kubica is ready.

• Randy (@randy) said on 11th January 2012, 19:58

I don’t think he’s religious, certainly not to take such hints. I’m pretty sure of that.

• ikarre said on 15th January 2012, 20:33

If he’s religious, he probably thinks that it’s God’s way to say “never step over an ice patch again”.

• verstappen (@verstappen) said on 11th January 2012, 22:38

@icthyes I think he’s been in at least two big accidents before. These only made his resolve bigger, so I’m hoping for tha best

4. celeste (@celeste) said on 11th January 2012, 19:09

Man, thats really really sad!!!!

Hopefully is not thtat bad… best wishes to him!!!

5. favomodo (@favomodo) said on 11th January 2012, 19:10

Gee, this feels like the end of his career. I must say I already was sceptical, but now I’m sure. Really sad news.

6. xbx-117 (@xbx-117) said on 11th January 2012, 19:13

Man, this is disappointing news. I wont give up on the hope of his return, but the chance does seem to be getting slimmer.

7. Slr (@slr) said on 11th January 2012, 19:14

I send my best wishes to Kubica, I hope his condition improves enough so that he can drive a Formula One again.

8. Proesterchen (@proesterchen) said on 11th January 2012, 19:18

OK, guys, reality check: If a slip and fall is enough to overcome all the fixing done in a number of operations and 10+ months of healing, does anyone believe that Robert was anywhere near well enough to even contemplate a return to his career in racing?

… which explains why Lotus didn’t wait on him, and no one seems particularly eager to secure his services.

Frankly, if Robert’s is over, it didn’t end with this fall, it ended 11 months ago.

• Proesterchen (@proesterchen) said on 11th January 2012, 19:18

Frankly, if Robert’s career is over, it didn’t end with this fall, it ended 11 months ago.

• snowman (@snowman) said on 11th January 2012, 20:16

I would say Lotus would have waited on him if they were sure they wouldn’t be waiting on someone who ends up signing with say Ferrari or another top team when he was ready.

Boulier made it clear he would give Kubica all the help he needed to comeback if he was committed to Lotus but nothing materialised with Boulier complaining his relationship with Kubica was at “zero”

I 100% agree with if his career is over it ended 11 months ago.

• frood said on 11th January 2012, 23:20

that’s not necessarily true. if you fell awkwardly even a healthy bone could break. it’s just very bad luck. i don’t see him driving this season unless someone flakes out (schumacher?), or is controversially pushed (Massa?)

• HxCas (@hxcas) said on 12th January 2012, 2:19

This certainly ensured he won’t be driving this season, but I don’t think he would have anyway.
        He has a further 12 months to recover before the beginning of next season and who knows, maybe by then he’ll be fit enough to test or race for a team

9. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 11th January 2012, 19:23

So sad.

The fact the original fracture was reopened isn’t good. This certainly puts his career in serious doubt.

It wasn’t pretty after the rally accident, now it’s looking even worse. Such a shame!

10. JPedroCQF1 (@joao-pedro-cq) said on 11th January 2012, 19:34

He is having a awful lot of bad luck. Having reopened the original fracture, certainly he will take one more month of recovery. I’m really looking forward to see him driving again. But if this bad luck keeps going, we won’t see him behind the wheel again.

11. I keep thinking about how I read that Nigel Mansell once broke his neck in a couple places and was told he would never drive again and that he would be in the hospital for at least six months. So he told the nurse he had to go to the bathroom, packed up his stuff, and walked out — and he was racing again in something like five weeks.

I know every patient and situation is different and that Kubica’s injuries were unusually dire, but someone as tough and motivated as he is could end up surprising everyone. I really hope this ends up being, if not exactly a minor setback, then at least a surmountable one.

12. James (@jamesf1) said on 11th January 2012, 19:46

I’d say this is curtains now. It’s hard to see any team offering him a seat. I know Schumacher came back from two broken legs and Webber back from a leg break too, but it’s really hard to imagine any team taking a gamble on him – his fitness shall surely always be questionable?

Kubica shall probably be confined to the F1 history books at the greatest F1 champion that never was and never will be.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 11th January 2012, 20:00

I don’t want to take anything away from the man. He was (may well be again) very talented, and probably one of the best on the grid. But I think there are several others drivers who could or should be deemed as the best drivers not to win championships- Moss, Villeneuve, maybe Bellof, von Trips. Perhaps Kubica could be classed alongside them, but perhaps not.

• F1Yankee (@f1yankee) said on 11th January 2012, 20:03

terrible news, for sure. but there have been plenty of better drivers to never win an f1 title – stirling moss and dc are the first to come to mind. likely webber, too.

honestly, i thought he was finished when the crash first happened. there’s a lot of new blood, so to speak, so few if any teams are going to give him a drive after missing time for any reason.

• snowman (@snowman) said on 11th January 2012, 20:21

He’s a good driver but far from the best to never win a championship. Not so quick Nick Heidfeld beat him 2 out of 3 years together.

13. RumFRESH (@rumfresh) said on 11th January 2012, 19:46

Truly terrible news. This whole Kubica saga has been incredibly sad. To see such a talented driver suffer so much, it’s very hard to bear. What bothers me the most about this fall is that it serves as an affirmation that he may never be back at 100%. Driving an F1 car is extremely physically demanding and I can’t imagine him returning for a very long time, if ever.

14. Sagar said on 11th January 2012, 19:48

Robert… Please respect our emotions……… :-(

15. matt90 (@matt90) said on 11th January 2012, 19:49

I hope he can still recover. Should we perhaps be thankful it was his arm/hand that was re-injured? I assumed that was always the bigger problem and that a set-back in that area would be more serious.

1 2 3