Senna’s F1 cars and more on show at Autosport International 2012

Pictures

The 2012 Autosport International show has opened today in Birmingham. Here’s a peek at some of the F1 cars on display.

The show features a special collection of cars driven by Ayrton Senna. It includes two Toleman cars from his first F1 season, the McLaren MP4-4 he won his first championship with, and a kart from his pre-F1 years.

If you’re heading to the show on Saturday and Sunday, several of the models in the F1 cars display will be replaced with last year’s cars.

Update: Here’s some more cars from Autosport International including F3 cars raced by Bernie Ecclestone and Stirling Moss.

F1 pictures

View more F1 pictures

Images ?é?® F1 Fanatic. If you wish to use this image please contact F1 Fanatic to request permission

49 comments on Senna’s F1 cars and more on show at Autosport International 2012

1. f1andy83 said on 12th January 2012, 13:20

Love the MP4 looks

2. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 12th January 2012, 13:27

Beautiful Mercedes.

I still prefer the current liveries over the older ones.

Annoyed with myself I forgot about this show, I told myself last year I was going to go.

3. john (@johnf1fanatic) said on 12th January 2012, 13:28

Wish I could be there.

4. Elliot Horwood said on 12th January 2012, 13:35

Is there no McLaren MP4-26 at the show!?

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 12th January 2012, 13:54

Says this at the bottom of the article…

5. taurus (@taurus) said on 12th January 2012, 13:36

It should be law that f1 cars look something like an MP4/8

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 12th January 2012, 13:53

Amen! That’s why I have the MP4/8 as my avatar!

• @Taurus, Geemac

Make that the MP4/4. By 1993 the nosecones started getting higher and with the MP4/8 the nosecones appear to have become more bent leaving an arch beneath, if you view from the side. It’s the same with Senna’s 1994 Williams. The rear tyres too got slimmer. The pre-1990 had the rawest designs and fat rear tyres. Nothing beats that for me. :)

But if you ask me, the best looking racing cars of all time were the Lola and Reynard CART cars of the mid-1990s – low, sleek, wide and with those massive rear tyres.

That’s just my personal view.

6. Girts (@girts) said on 12th January 2012, 13:51

I love to study how the front wing shapes have been changing over the course of the years. And MP4-8 is really cute!

7. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 12th January 2012, 13:56

That Mercedes showcar is the best example of F1 randomness ever! A Honda RA108 with interim testing 2009-spec wings painted in Mercedes colours!

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 12th January 2012, 14:36

Yeah, I thought the same!

Also look at that Renault!

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 12th January 2012, 14:47

I do hate it when they paint older cars in the current colours. The people who go to these shows are smart enough (read nerdy enough) to know what it really should look like!

• Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 12th January 2012, 20:35

At least Look-At-Us-We’re-Lotus didn’t try and repaint Senna’s old 99T black and gold (with ‘Lada’ on it)… it’s just wrong at a show full of paying fans, many of them wanting to see close up how the cars have developed over the years, as Girts says.

It’s just about ok to re-paint an old car for display somewhere like an airport. You never know, it might be used again in a race, like Super Aguri did!

• @GeeMac That’s not the first time they do it like that… In their own museum an exhibition of a dismantlend F1 car labelled as their first new era one (2010) is also some crazy mix of much more older Hondas and the Brawn GP.

• FlyingLobster27 said on 13th January 2012, 7:47

Oh that’s what it is… If the mix of ages and liveries isn’t bad enough, they have the incredible dishonesty to label it a “W02″ aswell.

Great views of the older F1 cars though, and Senna’s kart… Gosh those things were less fancy-looking in those days!

8. Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 12th January 2012, 14:14

seeing the Mclaren Mp4-4 & Ferrari 312t two of the greatest F1 cars of all time is one of my dreams !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i wish i could be there

9. TimG (@timg) said on 12th January 2012, 14:24

Is the MP4/8 the actual car that won the 1993 European GP? The single “splatted hedgehog” (for Senna’s Brazilian GP victory) would indicate it is – or just that someone has taken the trouble to add in a nice layer of extra detail.

10. Tiago Carvalho (@tiagocomodoro) said on 12th January 2012, 14:37

I didnt like to see the old renault, with the 2011 colors.
    It seems to be “fake”

11. ajokay (@ajokay) said on 12th January 2012, 15:00

It’s that time of year again where we get to play “Guess what car they’re passing off as the most recent one this time!” game.

It’s hardly worth going to see them, is it? They’re never what they say they are. The worst is when F1 teams just find an old F3000 chassis lying in the bins round the back and decide to spray it up to look like the most current F1 car.

12. Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 12th January 2012, 15:01

i have a question regarding this showroom are these F1 cars still belongs to their original manufactures or other persons ?

13. Deurmat (@deurmat) said on 12th January 2012, 15:18

omg about a week ago I found the scale model of that Yellow Lotus on the attic here. It now shinning again in my room. I had forgotten all about it.

14. Becken Lima (@becken-lima) said on 12th January 2012, 15:19

Those pics of Senna’s Kart is just amazing. Thanks for that!

15. How have i not found this blog before!! Great Post :)