Senna’s F1 cars and more on show at Autosport International 2012

Pictures

The 2012 Autosport International show has opened today in Birmingham. Here’s a peek at some of the F1 cars on display.

The show features a special collection of cars driven by Ayrton Senna. It includes two Toleman cars from his first F1 season, the McLaren MP4-4 he won his first championship with, and a kart from his pre-F1 years.

If you’re heading to the show on Saturday and Sunday, several of the models in the F1 cars display will be replaced with last year’s cars.

Update: Here’s some more cars from Autosport International including F3 cars raced by Bernie Ecclestone and Stirling Moss.

F1 pictures

View more F1 pictures

Images ?? F1 Fanatic. If you wish to use this image please contact F1 Fanatic to request permission

49 comments on Senna’s F1 cars and more on show at Autosport International 2012

1. deanmachine (@deanmachine) said on 12th January 2012, 23:46

Argh! So annoyed I couldn’t go! Really hope I can make it there next year.

2. Eastman (@eastman) said on 13th January 2012, 0:37

Damn that ’87 Lotus has to be one of my favorite cars ever. Senna’s striking yellow ride is still absolutely beautiful. If only I could hear it roar in person. Great pictures.

3. gDog (@gdog) said on 13th January 2012, 6:09

Attn all sydneysiders. This might be old news,but just in case its not. Theres some form of mclaren f1 car on oriordan st. I just flew past it in a taxi on the way to the airport. Didnt get a good look but i’d say it was 1994 to 2004 vintage. Its in the middle of all the dealers there. Will check it out when i’m back in town. Depending how long its been there its probably visible on street view.

4. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 13th January 2012, 8:24

5. clay (@clay) said on 13th January 2012, 14:01

I have to say that of all the current liveries the STR is my favourite, excepting the 2010 Renault yellow livery. That dark blue, gold nose and red highlights looks way better than the somewhat bland RBR livery. Plus I always liked the shark fin… shame it got banned. In my mind the 2009 cars with the clean aero, shark fins and shorter length (when refuelling was still allowed) are the best looking of the last 5-10 years. But how good do Senna’s cars look in those pics!

6. Adam (@adjames) said on 14th January 2012, 20:33

Having just returned from the show, I can confirm that the MP4-26 is indeed on the F1 grid!
    Also, who knows what the car the ‘RB7′ actually is- anybody notice the shark fin?!

7. Elliot Horwood said on 14th January 2012, 21:08

Just got back from the show – was brilliant! :D Loved seeing all the cars, NOT the FAKE F1 cars with painted livary e.g the MGP002 or something like that, but enjoyed it. even got to shake Jake Humphrey and David Coulthards hand!

8. Don Mateo (@don-mateo) said on 15th January 2012, 16:56

It doesn’t bother me that much that teams send showcars along to these things, I can understand why it might not be possible or desirable to have the very latest model on display at a public event, especially when other teams are present as well.

However, the thing that’s annoyed me about the photos above is that they label the show cars as the 2011 designs, and hope no-one will notice that they’ve just painted a new livery on a car that in some cases is clearly pre-2009, and doesn’t look anything like the car it’s meant to represent.

I wish they’d just be honest and either say what the car actually is or just label it as a showcar, instead of insulting fans’ intelligence.

• Adam (@adjames) said on 16th January 2012, 10:49

Agreed! I don’t even mind when wings are chopped and changed too much. However, when teams try to pass off, for example, a Red Bull with a shark fin that obviously has no DRS (except for the button on the steering wheel!) as last years model, I find it extremely insulting. Respect your fans and be honest!