“Who cares why we are overtaking?” – Rosberg

F1 Fanatic round-up

In the round–up: Nico Rosberg defends DRS, saying “In the end, who cares why we are overtaking?”

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

DRS zones to be adjusted for 2012 (Autosport)

Rosberg: “DRS is a great thing. In the end, who cares why we are overtaking?”

What’s your view on DRS? Have your say and cast your vote here:

Valencia in drive to cut Formula One costs (FT, registration required)

Bernie Ecclestone: “What?s been talked about more is that Barcelona would like to alternate with them. Maybe it’s a good thing. Maybe it?s the way to go.”

Ecclestone Hid $5 Million Payment to Gribkowsky, Adviser Says (Bloomberg)

“‘Ecclestone told me to transfer $5 million of his money to Mr. Gribkowsky by using a special company so his name wouldn?t appear,’ Andre Favre, who worked as an adviser to Ecclestone, told a Munich court at Gribkowsky?s bribery trial. ‘All Ecclestone told me was that he owed Gribkowsky the money.”

2011 Hamilton?s Year Of Growth (Speed)

“There?s no doubt that Lewis [Hamilton] has been continually disappointed by McLaren?s consistent failure to start the season with a truly competitive package.”

Liuzzi: HRT still searching for budget (GP Update)

“The biggest problem is that the team has no budget. They’re still looking at whether it is possible to have two drivers on the payroll this year.”

Reebok reveals global brand strategy (Marketing Week)

“Reebok is preparing to launch a global brand strategy to position itself as the world?s primary fitness brand, and will feature sportsmen including Lewis Hamilton and cricketer MS Dhoni in a campaign to support the new direction.”

James Roberts via Twitter

“For the ten races the BBC aren’t showing live this year, commentary will still be recorded live, rather than ‘made-up’ over the highlights.”

Charles Pic via Twitter

“Back at Marussia Technical Centre in Banbury today meeting with Engineers. Pre-season training going well – though very cold outdoors.”

Comment of the day

Topdowntoedown on Ron Howard’s forthcoming F1 film Rush:

A film about ’70s F1 set at the Nurburgring? Brilliant!

Directed by Ron Howard? Happy Days!
Topdowntoedown

From the forum

Site updates

For a while now F1 Fanatics in the UK have been able to help support the site when they shop through Amazon.

This has now been extended to our American readers – if you’re making a purchase from Amazon.com and would like to help F1 Fanatic, simply follow the instructions here:

At present this is only available for those in the UK or USA. If you would like to see something similar for your region, please let me know in the comments.

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Ads21, Bev, gabal and Gerdoner!

On this day in F1

Fernando Alonso drove the MP4-22 – the only McLaren he has ever raced – for the first time on this day five years ago.

115 comments on “Who cares why we are overtaking?” – Rosberg

1. Shimks (@shimks) said on 17th January 2012, 7:21

I know the court case is against Gribkowsky, not Ecclestone… but could all this lead to Ecclestone also being charged and sent to jail if found guilty?

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 17th January 2012, 8:32

That would really depend pretty much on how the payment is viewed. If its a deemed a bribe, then it is possible that it would lead to a trial for bribery against BE.

But I would not say its that likely, and even if it will rather be for the purpose of others trying to claim money from him than lead to any jail sentences.

2. topdowntoedown (@topdowntoedown) said on 17th January 2012, 7:49

Haha, my first COTD.

I’d like to thank Tora Takagi, Yuji Ide, and above all Jean-Denis Delatraz. :)

3. Alain (@paganbasque) said on 17th January 2012, 8:05

We care Nico, we care. We want to see real F1 but it seems that this is not going to happen anymore.

People like Newey seem to the be the real bosses of F1 as all teams and institutions involved are inventing artificial elements like the DRS or introducing these ****** tyres instead of reducing the importance of aerodynamic.

4. Slr (@slr) said on 17th January 2012, 9:28

I do sometimes wonder whether drivers genuinely like DRS. After a few races last year, some drivers were saying how they prefer to pass without DRS. But now we are getting many drivers defending it. I did once read that drivers are not allowed to speak negatively about DRS, but I’m not sure whether that was true or not.

• The Last Pope (@the-last-pope) said on 17th January 2012, 10:56

I loved how Jenson Button once said he didn’t like having to use the DRS to overtake because it was too easy and boring for a racer. So i’m sure the drivers can say what they feel.

I’m quite suprised by Rosberg saying this. As a racer like Button i’d have though he would also crave the excitement of real race overtaking, and not motorway overtaking.

5. Rosberg: “DRS is a great thing. In the end, who cares why we are overtaking?”

To quote Tiff Needel: Let’s start with about 90% of the fans shall we Nico ..

Happy birthday Bev, gabal and Gerdoner and a special happy birthday to @Ads21 who is without doubt one of my favourite fanatics and a truly great guy. I hope you’ve fully recovered from the tonsillitis and are able to have a perfect day!

6. KoolKieren (@koolkieren) said on 17th January 2012, 12:07

Bye Rubens

Sad to see him go after so long really…

On a side note looks like i saw this story before Keith lol *does a small jig*

7. ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 17th January 2012, 12:27

Very odd statement from Nico.

If we go with his view, why not ditch DRS and make it so cars must overtake X amount of times per race? Just slow down and let the other person through. Must cheaper and easier!

……. No?

8. vjanik said on 17th January 2012, 12:48

Rosberg underestimates the intelligence of an F1 fan.

9. ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 17th January 2012, 12:52

Duhh, wat do thos wingss do?! wow dey move!!

10. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 17th January 2012, 13:45

A pretty poor choice of words from Rosberg but I do agree that if/when they get it right, it will make for a better experience with DRS.

My main fear is that getting it right one year does not mean you will get it right the next. The variables are so large over just one race, over one season they’re unfathomably huge.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the races we complained about last year will be heaped with praise in 2012 and the races where DRS was perfect in 2011, turn out to be a massive miscalculation.

11. snowman.john (@snowman-john) said on 17th January 2012, 15:45

“Who cares why we are overtaking?” – Rosberg
    “I do. Most of the rest of the F1 fans out there do too” – Me

12. Matty No 2 (@mattynotwo) said on 17th January 2012, 16:57

I don’t care how they pass each other, as long as they are. I Think if there comes a time when their is to much passing, I think we should cross that bridge when we come to it.

• ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 17th January 2012, 17:07

I don’t think many would argue that there’s “too much” as such, I more think it’s the lack of skill needed to produce the overtake.

Go back and check out how DRS can ruin a race – Turkey.

I’m not a ‘hater’ when it comes to DRS, but it needs a fair bit of tweaking before it properly ‘works’ for this fan.

I always thought the idea was to recreate the slipstream effect that we’ve now lost. My idea would require better technology (which i’m 99% sure F1 could do). It’d be:

DRS activates when:
      *A car is within 0.75 seconds of the car infront (sounds complex but bare with me)
      *And it’d need to be in the slipstream of the car. I’m sure there’s sensors sophisticated enough to read when a car is behind another
      *It can be on any lap, at any time (bar in the pits, obviously)

The key being that the wing only opens to half of what it opens now.

If we kept the same angle that the wing opens to now, passing would become ridiculously easy, and you’d risk drivers intentionally falling behind the guy infront to gain an advantage.

By decreasing the effect of the DRS in half, it’d offer a much more discrete ‘boost’ for the car behind (rather than what we see now).

Aslong as they could get the sensor right, it’d work a treat.

Plus, you could forget trying to explain where the designated DRS zones are and confusing the public even more so.

13. Mads (@mads) said on 17th January 2012, 17:07

Rosberg: “DRS is a great thing. In the end, who cares why we are overtaking?”

Well if that is the fans’ attitude then lets get the water sprinklers asap and a few self-puncturing tyres they can give to the championship leader if there is a need to spice things up a bit.
    Maybe a “race leader” engine map, which restricts their engine torque by 10% or something. And with DRS available all around the track, maybe with an added restriction on KERS so that a driver can’t use it if a car behind is within 1 second..
    That would at least make for a good Hollywood movie..
    “In a world….”

14. vho (@) said on 18th January 2012, 7:32

The other question is whether people would prefer overtaking using DRS or seeing overtaking happening in the pits (when refuelling was legal). Personally I’d much prefer overtaking on the track than the pits, and while I would also prefer non-DRS overtaking, I won’t discredit DRS completely – perhaps where they’re positioned could be questioned and whether certain tracks need it or need two is a matter of question.

If DRS was available in 2010 I think the WDC would’ve been Alonso. Alternatively, if had the final race been held at a more overtaking friendlier track then I believe Alonso would have also been 2010 WDC.