Caterham set to be first to reveal 2012 F1 car

2012 F1 season

Lotus T128

Lotus T128

Caterham have announced their F1 car will be seen for the first time on January 26th – earlier than any of the other teams’ launch dates.

The team announced on Twitter they will show the first pictures of their car on their Twitter feed, Facebook page and in F1 Racing magazine.

Caterham, who raced as Lotus in 2011, will call their 2012 car the CT01.

Keep track of all the car launch, test sessions, races and more with the F1 Fanatic Google Calendar

2012 F1 season

Browse all 2012 F1 season articles

53 comments on Caterham set to be first to reveal 2012 F1 car

1. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 19th January 2012, 13:01

Just seen this on Twitter and came straight here!

I’d just cancelled my subscription to F1 Racing ironically (I did the 3 for £1 deal) but I’ll buy this one, I love a new F1 car.

2. coefficient (@coefficient) said on 19th January 2012, 13:01

They are either very organised.or ran out of ideas very early.

• BBT (@bbt) said on 19th January 2012, 21:16

or have nothing worth hiding ;-)

• DVC (@dvc) said on 20th January 2012, 3:29

Or aren’t showing you everything.

• BBT (@bbt) said on 20th January 2012, 8:53

..your right, if its anything like last year we won’t see a thing. I think it was the second launch last year and a big disappointment.

I love car launches.

• Bleeps_and_Tweaks (@bleeps_and_tweaks) said on 22nd January 2012, 11:04

I can’t wait for the first Caterham F1 car, I’ve got high hopes for them this year. I really like Mike Gascoigne and Heiki.

I agree they might not show too much in the magazine straight away, remember a photo shoot probably allows them to assess every photo before it gets published to ensure they don’t let anything too interesting get out. Whereas at the first test all the cards are on the table!

3. socksolid (@socksolid) said on 19th January 2012, 13:05

Wonder if they show some computer renders of the car or real photographs? If I recall correctly the lotus launch of the 2011 was just computer renders and not single real picture of the car. Or do I remember wrong…

4. Mike (@mike) said on 19th January 2012, 13:32

Would’ve preferred them call it the CT03, however, with their colour scheme, I’m quite sure it will be one of the more attractive cars on the grid.

So happy they kept it.

5. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 19th January 2012, 13:46

Maybe they’ve got something to hide, like Red Bull?

6. vjanik said on 19th January 2012, 13:48

It might be just my dirty mind, but the CT01 reminds me of a female body part. DTY CT01 could be a license plate.

7. Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 19th January 2012, 13:52

I hope these will not me only renders like last year.

8. infy (@infy) said on 19th January 2012, 14:03

Besides the colour, it will probably look exactly the same.

9. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 19th January 2012, 14:14

Who will be there drivers? I mean any chance of Petrov to replace Trulli.

10. scribbler (@scribbler) said on 19th January 2012, 15:00

Wern’t brawn one of the first to unveil there car that went on to win? It could be a sign of confidence not necessarily run out of ideas. Sometimes you can overdesign things. They will be able to tweek throughout the year as long as they have the basics right the bells and whistles can be added later. Either way its a brave move and there is obviously nothing visually ‘out of the ordinary so that the other second tier teams can’t copy. Will this design move them further into the midfield?

11. graham228221 (@graham228221) said on 19th January 2012, 15:44

wow, Ferrari are going to be naffed off that someone beat them to the punch this year.

When was the last time someone unveiled their car before them?

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 19th January 2012, 15:53

@graham228221 Actually, McLaren had already said they were going to launch their car before Ferrari – and a proper launch too, rather than a virtual one. See the dates in the calendar.

• graham228221 (@graham228221) said on 19th January 2012, 16:46

lol! @keithcollantine i actually thought before I posted that message “i’d better check the google calendar for the last few years, make sure i haven’t just made that up”. So i checked it, surprised to see it went back to 2009…

didn’t check this year though – d’oh!

• Tango (@tango) said on 19th January 2012, 17:18

My wife has taken the habit of looking at the calendar to know which week end to book for reunion with her family, so that I am not distracted by F1 while talking to the mother in law. Achievement unlocked!

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 19th January 2012, 20:35

I was thinking the same – Ferrari have always been a competitive team and so had their car ready immediately to test it as much as possible – obviously there have been some exceptions, like in 2005, when they started the season with the F2004M. But since I started following F1 they’ve always been the first to launch their cars. This may show a change of the way they work, and hopefully an improvement on the results!

12. I just can’t wait for all the car launches. I find the close season so hard. I just can’t get enough F1! Thanks to everyone on here for feeding my F1 interest. I’m really looking forward to seeing how the teams have adapted to the changes in the regulations.

13. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 19th January 2012, 23:14

I kind of miss the days when McLaren would shut down a city for the night and unveil their cars before hundreds of thousand of people before driving them around the city with fireworks, rock music and Michael Bay production values. It was excessive, it was unnecessary, and it was so much fun.

14. Lotus49 (@lotus49) said on 19th January 2012, 23:52

Will you just listen to you lot. You’re like a bunch of expectant grandparents dying to see just how beautiful the new grandchild will be and who it will take after. It’s like the first buds of spring in a new year. Great innit!!!