Kimi Raikkonen makes his F1 return with Lotus

Pictures

Kimi Raikkonen returned to an F1 cockpit for the first time since 2009 today.

The 2007 world champion drove a Renault R30 in Lotus colours at the Ricardo Tormo circuit in Valencia.

Raikkonen, who sported a new helmet design on his return, had to drive a two-year-old car due to testing restrictions. Lotus will launch their 2012 F1 car on Fenruary 5th ahead of the first test session in Jerez.

F1 pictures

View more F1 pictures

Image ?é?® Lotus F1 Team

61 comments on Kimi Raikkonen makes his F1 return with Lotus

1. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 23rd January 2012, 12:53

The white helmet goes very well with the black and gold car!

2. Enigma (@enigma) said on 23rd January 2012, 12:55

I suppose he wasn’t using the F-Duct? It wouldn’t really help him in any way if he was…

3. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 23rd January 2012, 12:59

I like Lotus’s current John Player Special-style livery (apart from the red Total bits) but miss the brilliant yellow the R30 originally had:

Renault R30 launched (Pictures)

4. HUHHII (@huhhii) said on 23rd January 2012, 13:31

Thanks a lot for posting these!

5. JCost (@jcost) said on 23rd January 2012, 13:34

I hope their 2012 car is race winning material.

6. The Last Pope (@the-last-pope) said on 23rd January 2012, 13:37

By the way, what stops a team from testing new car parts on a two year old car?

7. Well, I quite like his helmet…erm…that’s really the only thing I was bothered about with Kimi’s return!

Thanks for the pictures Keith.

8. Does anyone know if there will be any timing available from Kimis test?

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 23rd January 2012, 14:11

Can’t find any timing available, but I guess it’d be pointless. It’s impossible to compare the laptimes, firstly because he’s using Pirellis rather than the Bridgestones of that year…

• And demonstration spec tyres at that. They are never going to allow representative times to prevent teams from using “demonstration”-runs to yield useful aerodynamic numbers.

• James1 said on 24th January 2012, 9:47

They said he will drive with a lot of fuel on board, to get used to the ban of refuelling so taking laptimes won’t show anything….

9. JPedroCQF1 (@joao-pedro-cq) said on 23rd January 2012, 13:52

It’s great to have Kimi back in F1! Really looking forward to how he performs at Melbourne.

10. scribbler (@scribbler) said on 23rd January 2012, 14:13

Is it just me who isn’t looking foward to Kimi’s return? I was glad to see the back of ‘Mr Charisma’
    although i used the oportuinity well while they interviewed him and his droll monotone voice to go an make a cup of tea. I give him 9 races before he’s bored with an uncompetitive car and wants out.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 23rd January 2012, 14:23

@scribbler He’s a world champion and still a competitive driver. If he still wants to race in F1 then there definitely should be a place for him.

I think a lot of the stuff about his personality is hype and nonsense and I don’t pay much attention to it. I don’t think he’s as boring as his detractors make him out to be nor as interesting as his supporters do.

• scribbler (@scribbler) said on 23rd January 2012, 14:41

I completely agree with his racing credentials he is incredibly gifted, and i don’t listen to the media regarding his private life. I’m merely judging him by his one on one interviews which while hes talking seem very contractual and like he wants to slash his own rists rather than give any emotion. He comes across as boring and selfish Thats just my opinion. At least the other drivers make an effort to pretend to answer the questions honestly and gesticulate some emotion like fist pumps over the winning line etc. I just get the impression that he could drive the car blind folded and is planning the rest of his week during the race. I mean even his national anthem doesn’t get a smile on his face. Possibly the happy part of his brain is difunct and i should’t give him a hard time. But i just feel like a youngster would benefit from his seat if all it is is a paycheck to him.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 23rd January 2012, 15:13

I doubt that any driver would be truly competitive in F1 if all it was was a paycheck for them. I’m sure KR is an out and out racer or he wouldn’t have gotten to the level he has, let alone been able to leave F1 and then be desireable enough to a team to take him back into the F1 world. So whatever some might think of his personality, he has obviously been able to sell himself back into F1.

I think, imho, KR’s mannerism is simply something that is unique to him, just as we are all unique or wouldn’t life be boring. Some people have very excellent but very dry senses of humour, and hardly ever crack a smile such that when they are breaking you up with laughter you don’t know if they were joking or were serious. I think of KR that way.

Bottom line for me…he’s a WDC level driver…he’s good enough for his sponsors and for Lotus so he should be good enough for us in spite of what many assume to be a ‘bored’ attitude…he probably has little use for the more silly media stuff and for the backstabby politics of F1 and would rather just be able to go out there and race without any **.

• megan said on 24th January 2012, 7:29

Kimi does have a pretty dry sense of humour. With Kimi, you should listen to what he says not too how he is saying it.

Kimi is very straight forward and honest. I could see that not working with everyone. So while other people may prefer drivers that “atleast pretend”, I personally prefer Kimi’s straight forward honest approach. Different strokes for different folks and all.

Although ironically, for all of the complains about Kimi being charisma devoid and a PR disaster, he certainly has a penchant for drumming up a lot of publicity.

• I couldn’t really care less about Kimi. I like him but it means squat to me that he’s back because I don’t expect much. The Lotus has struggled in recent years, Kimi’s been out for a while, the tyres have changed as have strategy and fuel loads, the cars are very different and he got sick of F1 once before. I don’t think he’ll add much except people get to say there’s an extra world champion on the grid but if he’s not competitive then I don’t care- look at how much Schumacher has struggled. It’s easy to forget he’s there.

• Funkyf1 (@funkyf1) said on 24th January 2012, 11:01

Oh boo, more Kimi ain’t got it no more comments…. Is this because MSC’s return has been such a let down or because Ferrari let Kimi down?? Take the drivers seat on this one for once. Kimi is a champ, he has racing in his blood, that’s what he has been doing since he left F1, just in a different format. The paycheck might be enticing, but I’m sure he has more passion than say “Lewis Hamilton” did last year and more skill than all of last years Renault drivers put together. If the car is c
        ompetitive Kimi will not disappoint. Start the betting.. I bet he does better than say Adrian Sutil, who has done nothing in a similar car for 5 yrs…. Who would you choose?

11. scribbler (@scribbler) said on 23rd January 2012, 14:43

Will there be any data to come out of this test to benchmark his performance or was it not many consecutive laps etc.

12. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 23rd January 2012, 15:53

All these pics have confirmed are that I hate those red endplates and that massive Lotus badge on the nose of the car!

13. Gridlock (@gridlock) said on 23rd January 2012, 16:34

Don’t forget the F-Duct was “legalised” as DRS, in that both system stall the rear wing, so it wouldn’t surprise me to see them run a version of it for Kimi so he can start getting to ‘grips’ with an on-off aero device through corners etc

14. LoneFanMX said on 23rd January 2012, 20:34

Have any of you considered that KR is just as passionate as any other driver? What can he do when he falls out of favor or finds himself struggling to meet expectations? He’s just channeling his emotions a different way behind an icy poker face. When he fails he must be very angry with himself. That is what we see me think.

15. HelloKittyF1 said on 23rd January 2012, 20:40

Kimi looks so old and tired. Helmet looks cool.