Caterham CT01 images revealed early

2012 F1 cars

The first pictures of the Caterham CT01 have appeared ahead of its official publication tomorrow.

Images taken from the current issue of F1 Racing have been posted online.

Caterham later issued an official image of the new car. The CT01’s distinctive stepped nose is a consequence of new rules aimed at lowering the noses of the cars.

More information on the 2012 F1 season.

2012 F1 cars

Browse all 2012 F1 cars articles

235 comments on Caterham CT01 images revealed early

1. nemo87 (@nemo87) said on 25th January 2012, 13:10

this is a sad day in F1..

out of the ‘bottom field’ teams lotus/caterham have always been my favourite. their 1st car was a bit of a Bathtub but last years was one of the best looking on the grid.. an now. i cant even begin to put into words how ugly the front end of this car is BUT.. if its what it takes to get them into the mid-field then GO CATERHAM!! ..even if you are a little bit ugly

2. hey (@hey) said on 25th January 2012, 13:14

I got used to the W02 quite quickly, so imagine I’ll get used to this. It’s only the suspension points that make it bulge.

3. Bookoi (@bookoi) said on 25th January 2012, 13:15

MINE EYES!

Looks horrible but I guess if its closer to the front the team will think its a stunner.

I was hoping they’d change the livery a bit to move on from the whole Lotus fiasco and create a new identity under the Caterham name. The same livery but with yellow sidepods, something like that….

4. Karl (@muddytalker) said on 25th January 2012, 13:17

Looking at those pictures, it seems to make the regulation to make noses safer by lowering them useless. I say this because the nose is so sharp now that it could possibly pierce another cars monocoque or alternatively a crash barrier/tyre barrier.

If the FIA want safety, then just ban raised noses full stop.

5. Lets all hope that this is the only ugly car and it will stay at the back of the grid and off our screens

6. Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 25th January 2012, 13:19

You wouldn’t want to watch F1 with HD if all the cars are as ugly as this! Could be bad news for Sky…

7. KNF (@knf) said on 25th January 2012, 13:21

It’s not exactly going to win any beauty contests, but there have been some uglier designs in F1 before… those crazy BMW Sauber F1.06 vertical winglets, the Williams FW26 “Walrus” and let’s not forget the “coffee table” and “tea tray” designs of the late ’70s and early ’80s.

The real shocker is that it looks like the nose was drawn by an Etch-a-Sketch instead of the 3D CAD software package which was actually used…

8. Janni (@motorsportjohn) said on 25th January 2012, 13:27

Looks like it’s been designed by Jeremy Clarkson… With a hammer :-)

9. realracer (@realracer) said on 25th January 2012, 13:39

If all the cars, are going to look like this, this year,then I’m glad I can only watch 10 races this year, I think I’ll retire my F1 watching career, and sign a contract to go to Indycars.

10. Walton174 (@walton174) said on 25th January 2012, 13:52

The only thing i like about this is that formula1.com called it a “platypus-style nose”… Aussie pride!!

They also say it is expected to become common-place, i sincerly hope it doesnt :/

11. VoiseyS (@voisey) said on 25th January 2012, 14:10

The design might be ugly, but at least it’s got everyone talking about the car. Lots of free publicity and hype for Caterham.

Maybe they will make use forget about the nose when they announce Petrov as replacement for Trulli tomorrow…

12. Sangeen Khan said on 25th January 2012, 14:16

Where are the exhausts?

13. JamieFranklinF1 (@jamiefranklinf1) said on 25th January 2012, 15:32

I usually like the new designs and approaches year on year in Formula 1. Like in 2009, a lot of people thought that the new designs were ugly, but I loved them.

This, however, I’m not sure I could grow to love that. Although, at the same time, I do like it when different teams have different designs. For example, the skinny-nosed RB5 compared to the Brawn, and the 2011 McLaren sidepods. So I hope some teams have gone for some innovative new designs :D

• JamieFranklinF1 (@jamiefranklinf1) said on 25th January 2012, 15:44

And just to add to that, I thought the 2010 (Lotus as it was then) wasn’t very good looking, as it was quite boxy. The 2011 one, however, was very sleek and the first pictures I saw of that were fantastic.

But it seems that this years is worse than the 2010 car (from the front at least). I at least hope it’s quick.

14. Mahir C said on 25th January 2012, 16:22

So thats what Luca di Montezemolo meant when he said this years Ferrari is no looker!

15. Marcus (@jadedwriter) said on 25th January 2012, 16:37

Is it too late for them to trademark the name “Gatorham?”