Caterham CT01 images revealed early

2012 F1 cars

The first pictures of the Caterham CT01 have appeared ahead of its official publication tomorrow.

Images taken from the current issue of F1 Racing have been posted online.

Caterham later issued an official image of the new car. The CT01’s distinctive stepped nose is a consequence of new rules aimed at lowering the noses of the cars.

More information on the 2012 F1 season.

2012 F1 cars

Browse all 2012 F1 cars articles

235 comments on Caterham CT01 images revealed early

1. I wanted to follow along and allow you to know how , very much I appreciated discovering your web blog today. I would consider
    it a honor to do things at my workplace and be able to make real use of the tips discussed on your web site and also get involved in visitors’ feedback like this !

2. Fixy (@fixy) said on 25th January 2012, 17:12

I’ll repeat the comment I made on ScarbsF1.wordpress.com:

I really hate the “step” between the cockpit and the nose. I’ve never seen such an ugly nose, and there have been cars with low noses. Obviously the regulations leave little room, and that means they’re done badly.
    The rest of the car is very nice-looking, and I usually don’t like new cars when they are presented because they’re so different to their predecessors.
    The airbox looks strange, as it’s nearly identical in appearance to HRT’s one from 2010 and 2011.

3. d3v0 (@d3v0) said on 25th January 2012, 17:32

Apparently this is the result of the new regulations.

Way to go Failure International Automobile.

• joetoml1n (@joetoml1n) said on 25th January 2012, 20:16

Dont really see how its the FIA’s fault that Caterham have designed an ugly car. Yes they’ve banned high noses, but they dont dictate that cars have to have that “step”… Caterham could of just designed a lower nose if they were worried about winning a beauty contest. But as theyre not taking part in Britians next top model, they’ve gone for what they think is the most aerodynamically effiecient solution.

• Mads (@mads) said on 25th January 2012, 21:07

Actually I think you said it yourself.
        Caterham did what was the most aerodynamically efficient solution because that is what it is about.
        If the fastest way around a track was to design a car that looked like a fiat multipla just fatter and with square and orange tyres, all that with a woolen tail hanging after it they would all do that.
        The FIA is both responsible for the quality of the racing and the looks of the cars. The teams are responsible of making the fastest car they can, whether it is pretty or not isn’t important to them.

4. Forza (@forza) said on 25th January 2012, 17:34

Beauty is relative here its the air flow and they’ve gone for simple solution with front end design. They maintained the space under the nosecone to allow air flow towards splitter. The rest of the car looks fine and particulary sidepods look good in that respect. The Rb components had influence on their design. The stop watch will show how good the car is.

5. suffolk (@suffolk) said on 25th January 2012, 18:06

It looked like a PR coup for Caterham to reveal its new design well in advance of the other teams. They now find themselves having to take all the negative flak associated with exposing the 2012 “ugly” technical regulations. It now appears to be a very brave decision.

No wonder the teams have not been falling over each other attempting to break cover first.

6. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 25th January 2012, 18:15

It has some kind of charm, If youre into strage noses like that!

7. And I tought I have seen all when the BMW 2009 was launched. This is worse. Awful.

What the fu%k are you doing with F1?

8. Jezson (@jezson) said on 25th January 2012, 18:39

Oh dear, that IS ugly. Look at the shape of it!… It looks like an unfortunate whale. It’s bloody long too.

9. ShaneB457 (@shaneb12345678910) said on 25th January 2012, 19:44

It reminds me of those finger biscuits..

10. Hairpin (@hairpin) said on 25th January 2012, 20:10

@ Randy – I’m sure sticking with that fugly nose was a very difficult decision.

That’s the rules this year.

11. Rob Wilson (@rob-wilson) said on 25th January 2012, 21:36

On first glance it looks horrendous, but now iv’e been coming back all day to have another look, i’m already getting used to it, it just takes some getting used to that’s all.

I remember being angry when the 2009 cars were testing because i thought they were so ugly and it was ruining F1, but after time you don’t even notice, this will be the same. Shock at first, indifferent in a couple of months.

12. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 25th January 2012, 22:43

Oh Jesus.

It isn’t just the nose that’s ugly for me – it’s everything else too! I think a better organised livery would have helped a lot too.

It’s not so much the step that happens on the nose for me, but the actual the tip of the nose is. That does it for me.

13. Lotus49 (@lotus49) said on 25th January 2012, 22:50

My grandson drew a racing car the other day, with his new set of crayons. I have it on the fridge door now. Do you think I will be able, on his behalf, sue Caterham for copyright infringement? ;¬)

14. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 25th January 2012, 22:51

Who’s waiting for the announcement from the FIA that’s they’re thinking of changing the rules for noses now the cars have been built? It affects aerodynamics, of course…