Barrichello begins IndyCar test at Sebring

F1 Fanatic round-up

Rubens Barrichello, IndyCar, Sebring, 2012

Rubens Barrichello, IndyCar, Sebring, 2012

In the round-up: Rubens Barrichello tests for IndyCar team KV Racing at Sebring.

Barrichello joined friend and fellow Brazilian Tony Kanaan at the two-day test.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Barrichello and his first lap! (YouTube)

Barrichello has no plans beyond 2-day IndyCar test (Associated Press)

“I have been a racer for too long to just give it all away right now. I have a lot of speed in myself. I know that and I want to continue to race.”

KV Racing via Twitter

“Tony Kanaan leaves pits for the first time and stalls, Rubens Barrichello says ‘last time I get advice on car from TK’.”

McLaren dismisses PURE rumours (Autosport)

“McLaren has had absolutely no contact with PURE for many months. Moreover, the contact we did have with PURE, many months ago, was of an entirely informal nature, and was merely a courtesy gesture.”

Sutil apologises in court for Lux attack (Reuters)

“‘I did everything to try to settle this row,’ Sutil told the court, adding he had even offered to support a Lux charity project in Africa.”

Bahrain has failed to grasp reform ?ǣ so why is the grand prix going ahead? (The Guardian)

“Reporters Without Borders has just named Bahrain one of the world’s top 10 most repressive regimes, while Freedom House downgraded Bahrain from ‘partly free’ to ‘not free’.”

Interesting to note Reporters Without Borders ranks China, which of course is another F1 host nation, below Bahrain.

Nico Hulkenberg's helmet

Nico Hulkenberg's helmet

Nico Hulkenberg via Twitter

Hulkenberg’s 2012 helmet design.

Follow F1 news as it breaks using the F1 Fanatic live Twitter app.

Comment of the day

Beneboy was not moved by my optimistic view on the season ahead:

I?m finding it increasingly difficult to get even a little bit excited about the start of the season.

Ugly cars, stupid rules, artificial overtaking, boring circuits and a complete denial of reality from FIA/FOM/Teams that the main problem with F1 is that the cars have become so dependent on aerodynamics that the driver is almost an irrelevance and that the racing has become close to non-existent without the use of artificial devices such as DRS and silly tyre rules.

I?m in the process of moving home at the moment and I?m struggling to decide if I want to get Sky or not, I do like other sports that they show but the only reason it?d be worth paying for is to get Sky F1 HD but I?m struggling to justify spending hundreds of pounds to watch a sport that has become one big corporate middle finger aimed directly at the fans.
Beneboy

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Sharan!

On this day in F1

We were treated to a trio of launches on this day last year: Renault, Sauber and Lotus unveiled their new cars on the same day:

148 comments on Barrichello begins IndyCar test at Sebring

1 2 3
  1. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 31st January 2012, 0:09

Although I’m very excited about the season ahead, that’s some COTD! Take that!

I do like the use of orange in Hulk’s helmets, and this design is refreshingly clean and simple.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 31st January 2012, 7:06

Agree with you on both accounts there @electrolite!

I hope Hulk now stays with this desing for a long time.

• Unless anyone can think of a way of getting a car in motion without interacting with the air around it, Aerodynamics will almost always be king. The current set of rules at least mean we don’t see ‘dumbo wings’ on the front nose cones. ( http://bit.ly/AAiwuO )

• mrargh said on 31st January 2012, 12:26

Bring back ground effect then. The original fears about safety would be somewhat mitigated with the likes of the HANS device, survival cell etc.; it causes much less turbulence than a great big wing.

• @mrargh

I wish the same too, but it just won’t happen I don’t think. With going green being the main concern now, I don’t see any of these ideas coming to fruition. But any of the bright F1Fanatic readers could apply some Photoshop skills to modify modern F1 cars look wider with fatter slicks, ground effects and slim wings – and send them to FOTA and the FIA. Maybe then they’ll change :)

• beneboy (@beneboy) said on 31st January 2012, 12:32

I’m not suggesting that aero be ignored, I just think that the reliance on aero downforce for the cars performance has been damaging the sport for years and that the regulations should be fundamentally changed so that the cars aerodynamics are tuned to give as little drag as possible with grip coming from the tires, suspension, chasis and other mechanical means – that way the cars will be able to get within millimeters of each other without suffering from a significant reduction in performance and grip as we have seen for the last decade or so.

By moving away from aero grip to mechanical grip there would be a significant reduction in cornering speeds which would also allow the FIA to deresitrict the rules governing other aspects of the cars design and then we may end up in a situation where different teams could run different types of engines, different suspension systems and so on which would mean that F1 would again become the test bed for future production car technology which in turn would make it a more attractive sport for manufacturers to invest in rather than the technological dead end and bottomless money pit it has become in recent years where the teams spend hundreds of millions of pounds developing technology that has no real world applications and actually makes the racing much, much worse from a spectators point of view.

• Mike (@mike) said on 31st January 2012, 17:55

Did that, hence the small rear and large front wing. There is only so much you can do without radically changing the rule set and that, I might add, brings about as many problems as it solves.

moving away from aero grip

How would you do this? As long as the engineers are able to modify the cars body then this will be a performance differentiator.

The only way to limit that is to start standardizing parts a lot more visibly, and I think that would draw mammoth criticism.

Keep in mind people were complaining about F1 being too restrictive (on aero) when they saw the Caterham nose.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 1st February 2012, 5:18

@Beneboy, I could not agree more, nice to know I am not alone. @ Mike, F1 did not begin with wings, during the 1960’s great racing was had with low-drag, wingless cars with engines of only 1500 cc. and no turbo-chargers and no pit stops, todays cars are heavier for safety but todays engines can produce twice the horsepower per litre that they did then, and slipstreaming was used through the corners, not just down the straight, if we banned aerodynamic appendages and reduced engine size then we could again see exciting racing between innovative cars that had different strengths and weaknesses .

• Mike (@mike) said on 1st February 2012, 5:33

I think you are a bit crazy HoHum, but in a good way.

Actually, now that I think about it, without wings, overall, and I’m speaking well out of understanding here, but wouldn’t that overall reduce the effect of dirty air.

I think there’s probably a safety issue some where in here, but maybe much smaller wings is also an option.

However I resent the idea that taking F1 back in time is either viable or a good idea. I think if you went back in time you’d see that it had serious flaws as well. That and the cars do have different strengths. Just look at the Red Bull, it was so slow in a straight line last year but dominated the time sheets.

• We can begin by making the front wing a lot simpler – just a two planes on either side.

• @Beneboy has stolen the words from my mouth! I am equally unexcited about the F1 season. If I see the beginnings of another Vettel whitewash then I’ll have to seriously reconsider – whether to continue watching F1 or not.

This year’s Dakar, the exciting finish to the Rolex Daytona 24 Hours, the new Dallara DW12 IndyCar chassis and Barrichello’s IndyCar test have made me resolve to follow the other recognition-deserving motorsports out there. Of course, all my F1 passion would return if I only see Alonso winning again :)

• Patrickl said on 1st February 2012, 16:20

Completely agree with the COTD. I lost interest quickly during the last season and I seriously doubt that the new season will be any better.

I’d rather have a race where there are no overtakes and the drivers are on the limit than that I want to see them drive on eggshells during the whole race just to make sure the tyres last long enough.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 4th February 2012, 16:27

I also agree with the COTD…I will restate what I have said on other threads on this site in the past few years when it comes to this topic…

Back when they brought grooved tires in, JV called them a joke and was hauled up on the FIA carpet for it…he said at the time gives us back the big fat slicks that they used in the 70’s…they created so much drag that in order to maintain any kind of respectable straightline speeds you were forced to run less wing…ie. those tires would kill two birds with one stone…instant mechanical grip with less aero dependancy due to the need to run less wing.

Aside from that, as has been stated above they could go back to two plane wings etc etc. I know the idea of getting rid of wings has been shot down time and time again and I agree with that…they make the cars look better and they are great advertising space, but surely there are ways they can get themselves back to less aero dependancy and more mechanical grip, which they have now with the soft Pirelli’s…they seem so close right now and could so easily take a few more simple steps which imho (and many other’s) need to include getting rid of DRS, and they’d be there.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 4th February 2012, 16:40

@Mike…standardizing some parts might draw criticism, but I doubt it is as much as fake DRS passes have been drawing…I think some standardization would be forgiven if it meant real seat of the pants passing that shows a drivers skill and courage as opposed to his ability to be a passenger in a gadgeted up F1 car.

• @Robbie,

I am a big fan of the tyres of the 70s. They would (on paper at least according to what we imagine) not only bring about the double effect of increasing mechanical grip and reducing aero efficiency, but also look so aggressive and jaw dropping on F1 cars. I’d also like the cars to get wider for the same reason and not look like a stick when viewed from the top. But we’re only dreaming – it ain’t gonna happen possibly because of the increasing emphasis on fuel efficiency and environment friendliness.

What’s more, when people like Martin Whitmarsh running respectable teams such as McLaren don’t consider stuff like DRS as gimmicks, we can get a picture of the thought process that is rampant in the FIA and FOTA circles. People like Mario Andretti, Stirling Moss and Jacques Villeneuve don’t exist in the decision making echelons of Formula 1.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 6th February 2012, 15:25

@PT…fair comment…I guess we should just feel glad that at least they are back on slicks and got rid of the grooved tires…

2. celeste (@celeste) said on 31st January 2012, 0:21

I´m excited. I really enjoyed last season and I´m counting the days until the first race…

3. sato113 (@sato113) said on 31st January 2012, 0:25

loving COTD right now.

• Victor. (@victor) said on 31st January 2012, 0:31

Despite being excited, I agree with it completely… I think the passion for the sport overrules the stupidity that has crept into it.

• d3v0 (@d3v0) said on 31st January 2012, 0:37

I am 100% excited DESPITE the COTD – which I agree with entirely. We as F1 fans (along with American conservatives) have to realize that its never going to be the 80s again.

• CarsVsChildren (@carsvschildren) said on 31st January 2012, 1:41

I’m definitely not as excited as I was last year. DRS has sucked a lot of the tension out of the races. I used to love seeing drivers try and solve the problem of getting stuck behind slower cars.

However the make or break thing for me as an F1 fan is the Japanese Grand Prix, as there seem to be a few rumours that it might not be on the calendar soon. If that race goes so do I.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 1st February 2012, 6:54

+1.

I hate DRS but I don’t blame aerodynamics. F1 is and will always be an Engineers+Driver sport since day one. Maybe technology has more influence today, but F1 has never been cycling and nobody has ever won a race in a Fiat Panda.

4. d3v0 (@d3v0) said on 31st January 2012, 0:36

I will religiously follow Indy this year if woobens is competing.

5. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 31st January 2012, 0:45

Ugly cars, stupid rules, artificial overtaking, boring circuits and a complete denial of reality from FIA/FOM/Teams that the main problem with F1 is that the cars have become so dependent on aero that the driver is almost an irrelevance and that the racing has become close to non-existent without the use of artificial devices such as DRS and silly tire rules.

I doubt cars will ever become less dependent on aerodinamics… there might be changes and less and less downforce, but aerodynamics will sitll be the way to gain tenths every lap. And engineers will try to squeeze every single bit of aerodynamic efficiency from the wings, winglets, sidepods, whatever.

Unless of course, they ban diffussers, wings, ground effect, and everything, thus creating a ridiculous copy of 1960’s F1.

That’s why, in my view, the question of: “how to make racing better” is so difficult to answer…

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 31st January 2012, 1:09

I doubt cars will ever become less dependent on aerodinamics

They will only become less-dependant on aerodynamics when mechanical grip surpasses aerodynamic grip. The teams know that the more aerodynamic grip they have, the faster they will go, and so they are unwilling to sacrifice aerodynamics.

• raymondu999 (@raymondu999) said on 31st January 2012, 4:59

Aero is not the demon per se. Rather downforce is. If the cars were producing lift, and were low on drag; both of which are aero characteristics; we wouldn’t complain one bit.

The thing is the more downforce a car has; the worse the effect on lap time. If; for example; you took a minivan; which was not designed with aero in mind (it produces lift; which is basically the same as downforce, except in the opposite direction – up!) and put it in the “dirty air” of another car; you would go quicker.

• tobinen (@tobinen) said on 31st January 2012, 9:28

Until you come to a corner, where downforce really plays its part. The Red Bull has the faster lap time due to the most downforce. If F1 was racing in straight lines then you might have a point.
        By your reasoning the HRT should have the fastest lap time as it has the least downforce. F1 doesn’t work that way.

• Mike (@mike) said on 31st January 2012, 9:29

@raymondu999

I see where you’re going with that but I think if they were producing lift the drivers might have something to say about it! ;D

The FIA have been trying to reduce down force for years. But how do you reduce down force without being too restrictive? These are both common complaints and are directly opposed to each other.

The answer is you can’t. As long as the engineers can shape the cars they will do their utmost to create more down force.

@Prisoner Monkeys

I don’t agree, Aero gets a lot of the attention because it’s the most visible component, but teams are constantly trying to look for ways to improve mechanical grip as well. Simply put, if you give them an avenue to improve they will take it, but this isn’t necessarily at the expense of other areas of performance. As long as they are allowed to shape the car they will pour effort into aerodynamics.

• raymondu999 (@raymondu999) said on 31st January 2012, 10:32

@Mike The only real way is to have them race in vacuum. As long as they aren’t racing in a vacuum; aero will still be a very big performance contributor.

Having said that @prisoner-monkeys is slightly right in one respect – though teams are still upgrading the cars mechanically too; because of the huge velocities that the cars are traveling at; aero’s importance gets multiplied massively. If you’re looking for 1 or 2 tenths; you can get that through mech grip. But if you’re looking for half a second or more; other than the tyres (which are a control element now anyways) and engines (frozen) then aero is really the way to go.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 1st February 2012, 5:29

@mike, it’s simple, ban wings .

• Solo (@solo) said on 31st January 2012, 10:31

With the technology F1 has, if they where trying to have as little down-force as possible then F1 cars will be flying.
        Wait..you might be on to something there.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 31st January 2012, 12:12

This is why ground effects are important to reintroduce. They produce downforce with less turbulence than wings.

• Alex W said on 31st January 2012, 23:39

They tried that on Mark Webber’s Merc, it didn’t end well!

6. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 31st January 2012, 0:55

I found this little twist in the tale of Adrian Sutil that Reuters didn’t include in their article:

Sutil said Lux rejected his overtures but that they had discussed an out-of-court settlement in which the driver said Lux had made “strange offers” involving “a lot of money” and a hiatus from Formula One.

That’s bizarre – as part of a settlement, Sutil would be forced to leave the sport? What logic is Lux using for that? What right does he have to ask that?

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 31st January 2012, 1:38

Sounds suspiciously like blackmail, but then offering to give money to a charity seems like a bribe, even if it is more moral.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 31st January 2012, 1:58

offering to give money to a charity seems like a bribe

That’s what an out-of-court settlement is: the two parties come to an agreement on their own where one drops the charges in exchange for some kind of compensation from the other. It’s a little unconventional to offer to pay that money to the charity, but it’s certainly not a bribe. It’s probably a ploy to put Lux in a position where he can either drop the charges and continue to support the charity, or refuse and look like a jerk. Sutil probably doesn’t want to pay him directly given that Lux is apparently intent on ruining Sutil’s career. On the other hand, trying to force Sutil out of the sport in exchange for dropping the charges does feel like blackmail, or at least Lux throwing his toys out of the pram at escape velocity. It suggests that he is not confident in the outcome of the trial – if Sutil is found guilty, then he will probably be suspended from racing. But if he is innocent or acquitted, then his career will take a hit, but he probably won’t lose his racing licence. Lux evidently sees that outcome a being very possible, and so is trying to get Sutil to step out of the sport voluntarily.

• CarsVsChildren (@carsvschildren) said on 31st January 2012, 1:44

I wonder if that offer came as Force India were getting a little to close for comfort to Renault last season?

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 31st January 2012, 2:13

Possibly – but the fact that Sutil is talking about the terms that were offered means that this out-of-court settlement is not confidential. If it was and he talked about it, then he would be in contempt of court and charged accordingly. So if Lux was trying to stymie Force India, then one of two things would happen: it would be confidential, but either Sutil or his lawyers would work out what Lux was trying, and would refuse to take the deal; or it would not be confidential, in which case Sutil could (and would) speak about it, and it would make headlines as Lux tried to sabotage Force India, which would probably raise the FIA’s ire – and that would be a massive risk. Renault were found guilty of race-fixing after the Singapore incident, and were given a two-year suspended sentence on September 21. That meant that Renault would be free to compete so long as they did not get caught up in another race-fixing controversy; if they did, they would be banned on the spot. That suspended sentence expired on September 21 last year, but Force India really started to catch Renault from the German Grand Prix, which was on July 24. The suspended sentence expired the week of the Singapore Grand Prix (the Thursday before the race), but which point it was obvious that Force India were chasing Renault down. If Lux tried to force Sutil out of the sport to protect Renault’s position, the FIA could very well interpret that as trying to fix the outcome of a race, and the team would be banned for it.

• Tommo said on 31st January 2012, 19:49

Out of court settlements aren’t generally confidential until they’re agreed (it’s a term of the settlement)…

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 31st January 2012, 7:16

To me this part of the Reuters article

Lux, also in court, said he had expected the driver to visit him in Luxembourg for an apology.

“A phone call is not good enough,” Lux told the court.

sounds a lot as if Lux is doing his utmost best to take revenge on Sutil. I can imagine how a proposal to meet in Luxembourg would have been planned during a GP weekend to make sure that Sutil would not be able to attend!

Asking a racing driver to stop his career voluntarily or face possibly losing it and being imprisoned to me sounds like a choise between poison or the guillotine.

On the other hand, these are probably Sutils accounts of what happened, so its only one side of the story.

Sad that incident happened, and sad these guys were not able to agree on some kind of settlement. To me it looks as if pride and revenge were key in that. A real shame its come to that.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 31st January 2012, 7:28

I think Bernie would have something to say about it if Lux tried that one.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 31st January 2012, 8:08

Why would he? It would just mean Sutil would not be able to come to the meeing with Lux. Making Lux feel good about how Sutil did not even turn up for their meeting!

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 31st January 2012, 9:07

Sutil is under contract to race for Force India. And so long as he has a valid contract, he will race. Given that there is usually a two-week break between races, why would Lux feel the need to schedule a meeting with Sutil on a Grand Prix weekend? Is he really so busy that he cannot see Sutil on the non-race weekend? Or on the Wednesday after the race? The drivers do regularly commute to Europe. Bernie would hit the roof if one team member tried to force a driver from another team to miss a race. Especially under the pretense of resolving a legal matter.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 31st January 2012, 9:09

And if he is so busy then, why should Lux expect Sutil to put his professional life on hold when Lux himself cannot do it?

• Diogenes said on 31st January 2012, 11:11

Sutil has been convicted and given an 18 month suspended sentence for Shanghai attack on Renault/Lotus boss Eric Lux and fined €200,000 to go to charity

7. Scottie (@scottie) said on 31st January 2012, 0:56

I couldn’t disagree more with COTD…

sure the cars might be ugly this year, but the rules arent stupid, all the teams know exactly what aero does for the series, both in overtaking and performance.

Last year wasn’t a bad year for not just overtaking (‘artificial’ or otherwise) but also close racing (which counters the aero claim). I’m looking forward to a great season where Mclaren and the rest can refine their cars and challange Red Bull!

Don’t let F1 politics cloud your view of what is actually (IMHO) a potentially great season!

• vjanik said on 31st January 2012, 10:09

how do we know the cars are ugly this year? we haven’t even seen them yet. you cant judge the whole field by one backmarker.

• MattB (@mattb) said on 31st January 2012, 14:01

Scottie, I comletely agree with you.

Are we “F1 Fanatics” or “F1 bashers”? If you are the former, this forum is for you – else stop being a whinger and let everyone else enjoy it!

Last year was fantastic, and as Keith has proven it produced the best racing of recent years. DRS is a great thing. It produces great races, because cars that are racing each other are not trapped behind other cars. It does take away from some of the more creative overtakes we have seen in the past, but at least the right cars are fighting for the places, not being stuck behind a much slower car.

Also, I’ve no problem with them being ugly. Bring on ugly cars! Lets all enjoy the promise of a good season and savour the excitement to come!

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 31st January 2012, 14:21

Being an F1 fan does not mean you have to approve of and support everything that happens in F1.

This site exists for all F1 fans regardless of their opinions. If we all thought the same the comments would be rather boring…

I love F1, but I’d rather we didn’t have to put up with ugly cars, bland circuits and DRS.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 31st January 2012, 14:51

A nice motto for the coming year Keith!

• MattB (@mattb) said on 31st January 2012, 17:57

@keith_collantine fair play! I guess my argument should have been “I wish the coming season sparked the same amount of enthusiasm and hope with all fans as I have”. I guess at this point in the low season, it all seems to be a long way off – especially with only one car launched so far.

Fingers crossed for a great season!

• peru(kowalsky) said on 31st January 2012, 14:58

and past due date drivers, you forgot to mention keith.

• GT_Racer said on 31st January 2012, 18:54

DRS is a great thing.

No, It Isn’t!

• JCost (@jcost) said on 1st February 2012, 7:06

Being trapped behind is part of racing, the “one move” rule is suppose to help on that matter. DRS is so video game!

Fans are allowed to boo and express their ideas freely, it has nothing to do with bashing.

• peru(kowalsky) said on 31st January 2012, 15:05

the difference here is in my view, how long you have been watching f1. For the new fans f1 is so exciting that are unable to see the flaws. The coment of the day fan is sure an old fan, who is not easily impressed anymore.
      I agree with keith, i like f1, but i rather have it some other way.
      Paying 300 pounds to watch it, i think is not worth it. But if you have asked me in 1982 i would have done anything to be able to watch all races live.

8. Mike the bike Schumacher (@mike-the-bike-schumacher) said on 31st January 2012, 1:07

unfortunately its hard not to agree with COTD.

• John H (@john-h) said on 31st January 2012, 8:39

I feel this way too. I’m not passionately looking forward to the start of the season as I have been the last 20 years in fact.

Keep wondering if something is wrong with me or F1. Maybe both!?

9. noname said on 31st January 2012, 1:54

What is COTD????

10. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 31st January 2012, 2:13

Can’t wait for the month of Feb,car launches, testing, & still need to know who will seat in the HRT car.

11. Anti-RBR (@matt2208) said on 31st January 2012, 3:10

COTD! Is Spot on.

12. Dave (@mclaren42) said on 31st January 2012, 4:55

I’d like to see Rubens in Indycar. The sport could definitely use a driver of his caliber.

13. BasCB (@bascb) said on 31st January 2012, 6:56

Happy Birthday Sharan!

14. BasCB (@bascb) said on 31st January 2012, 6:57

@keithcollatine, seems the Bahrain article has been taken down by the Guardian – it now says this:

Removed: Bahrain has failed to grasp reform – so why is the grand prix going ahead?

This article has been taken down on 30 January 2012 pending investigation.

15. davros said on 31st January 2012, 7:48

completely agree with the COTD. I’ve watched F1 for over 20 years and it’s inspiring me less and less and less, this season is the first where I’ll maybe watch 1 or 2 races.

• Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 31st January 2012, 8:42

Interestingly, I’ve been watching F1 for about the same time and I think that last year was far and away the best for action I’ve ever seen. I can’t wait for 2012!

• BBT (@bbt) said on 31st January 2012, 9:18

In 25 years, I’d put last year as average at best.

2010 was better than last year (2011).
        2010 was probably the best of the last 5 – 10 years, the championship lead changed many times, it went to the wire, more ‘real’ over takes in one season than nearly two sessions (pick any two) that preceded in the last who knows seasons. 2010 was a really classic.

2011- what 2011, we won’t remember it be the end of the summer ;-)

Looking forward to half of 2012 though

• Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 31st January 2012, 9:52

Don’t get me wrong, 2010 was the best championship battle I’ve ever seen. I said 2011 was the best year for ‘action’ and I stand by that.

• Slr (@slr) said on 31st January 2012, 10:41

I’d say the first half of 2011 saw the best on track action, but overall seasons like 2006 and 2008 were probably better because the on track entertainment never died down halfway into the season.

• Patrickl said on 1st February 2012, 16:25

Lots of “action” in the pitlane yes. Who cares about that?

1 2 3