McLaren to launch MP4-27 today

F1 Fanatic round-up

Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton reveal the McLaren-Mercedes MP4-25 in 2010

McLaren are set to launch their 2012 F1 car today. F1 Fanatic will have pictures of the car as soon as it appears.

McLaren are also broadcasting the launch live here. The launch is due to begin at 11am UK time.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Adam Cooper via Twitter

“Still gobsmacked by the Sutil decision given that CCTV showed the other guy attacked first and Adrian just tried to push him away. Also worrying when judge makes it clear that outcome influenced by the fact he was famous. Funny kind of justice in Germany…”

Tobias Gruner via Twitter

“Sutil disappointed about Hamilton not showing up at the trial in Munich. ‘It would have been a nice gesture by him.’”

F1 Fanatic via Twitter

“The Williams-Renault FW34 will be revealed on February 7th. Toro Rosso launch the STR7 on February 6th at Jerez. Added to the F1 Fanatic Calendar.”

Lotus reshuffles management team (Autosport)

Lotus has boosted its management structure with the appointment of Thomas Mayer as its new chief operating officer.”

Follow F1 news as it breaks using the F1 Fanatic live Twitter app.

Comment of the day

I don’t always agree with the comments I choose for Comment of the Day – but I’m behind this one from The Limit one hundred percent:

I hope Rubens Barrichello gives Indycar a go, he?s still got what it takes and it would be a great thing for American open-wheel racing to have a driver of his standing in the series.

As a die-hard Indy fan, there has not been much cheer in recent months since the tragic death of Dan Wheldon. Thank God, at last some possible good news for a change!
The Limit

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Cliffery, Kutigz and pmelton!

On this day in F1

One-third of the 2011 F1 field decided to launch their cars on the same day last year – including the eventual world champions Red Bull:

Image ?? McLaren

87 comments on McLaren to launch MP4-27 today

1. yeah but rubens doesnt want to do ovals, i dont care to much for ovals but that is what they do over there. Its like someone coming over to f1 and saying ok ill race round the open tracks but ill give monaco and singapore a miss….we would say if you can stand the heat then get out of the kitchen.

I wish rubens all the best but i dont see why a team would sign him for half a season. but then again i dont fully follow indy these days so perhaps its normal.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 1st February 2012, 0:11

but then again i dont fully follow indy

If you did you’d know ovals account for much less than “half” of the calendar this year.

• cduk_mugello (@cduk_mugello) said on 1st February 2012, 0:24

I think the comparison to street circuits in F1 is still pretty valid. It’s a certain type of track, a skill to master.

• exactly thats my point. And personally i wouldnt hire someone that wont complete the full calendar. But I like rubens and wish him the best.

i bet he brings some good sponsors with him that would be appealing. and his knowledge would be ideal for indys new car.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 1st February 2012, 0:19

There are only four ovals out of sixteen races on the 2012 Indycar schedule. Barrichello would only miss the Indy 500, Texas, Iowa and the Autoclub Speedway. He may also miss a fifth race, because there are currently only fifteen events on the calendar when the series needs sixteen, so the vacant slot might go to the Milwaukee Mile (but the series is also said to be negotiating a new event at a street or airfield circuit in Fort Lauderdale).

• SoLiDG said on 1st February 2012, 0:24

ovals or not. Rubens in indycar would be a great story for them!
      People in europe like us, would be interested in it and since he’s a Brazilian it will give a boost over the ocean for sure!
      And with the new car it’s the best possible time for him to jump in.

• deanmachine (@deanmachine) said on 1st February 2012, 0:30

I thought his wife told him she didn’t want him to do Indycars, probably just meaning the ovals like, and what happened next year would probably only make her even tougher on the issue!

• Fisha695 (@fisha695) said on 1st February 2012, 1:58

I understand not wanting to do the ovals especially after last year, but I would love to see him (or his wife) re-think that for the Indy 500. I’m sure that 2002 USGP Trophy (as tainted as that win may be) is really longing for it’s older brother to be sitting in the trophy room right next to it.

It’d be good for the series as far as International Exposure, and would give us NASCAR guys a years worth of rumors everytime he is seen talking to Chip or Roger… haha

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 1st February 2012, 2:04

so what? he could still drive half a season even if it was the case (it isn’t, as others pointed out there’s only 4 ovals so far)

Something like in WRC, when they used to get a driver specifically for certain surfaces. Like Panizzi with Peugeot at tarmac events.

It’d be great for KV, great for Indy, great for Rubens and great for all the other drivers too…

• Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 1st February 2012, 8:13

Barrichello has since retracted that: http://indycar.com/news/show/55-izod-indycar-series/51121-barrichello-ovals-not-a-deal-breaker/

I did say that. It came out of my mouth. It is a not a big issue. It is not a problem. There are so many different situations that I could run. I could run on the road tracks; I could run Indy.

• ajokay (@ajokay) said on 1st February 2012, 8:30

Indeed it is normal. In IndyCar, the drivers can chage from race-to-race, as can the liveries and even the teams. Some teams run one car, some run 4, some only compete on the ovals, some on the road courses, some for the whole season, others just to have a crack at the Indy 500

It’s perfectly plausable that KV Racing could sign Rubens for the 11 (currently) road and street courses (as well as the Indy 500 if he wants a crack at it), and get another driver in for the 3/4 (currently) oval races. Dale Coyne Racing did the exact same thing last year with Sebastien Bourdais. He ran the road & street tracks, Alex Lloyd ran the ovals.

Go for it Rubens, you’ve still got it in you, you’ve still got a lot to race for, and I bet you could do very well!

• fair enough, if its the done thing then like you say good luck to him. And with their new car its a good opportunity as he and the rest of the pack would be starting at a similar level.

I used to follow indy cars before it went all sky sports. It used to make great sunday night viewing on eurosport in the late 90s.

• Tayyib (@m0nzaman) said on 1st February 2012, 10:21

I don’t watch much indy myself although would like to but its on the company that shall not be named, anyway i think there is only 4 races that are on ovals after the las egas gp was taken away, could he not do what somepeople do in the WRC where they race at certain events in a privateer like Kimi Raikonnen. Just a thought

2. Estesark (@estesark) said on 1st February 2012, 0:11

@keithcollantine

The link in this roundup to McLaren’s live launch page is broken. The URL now has a “-1″ on the end of it.

3. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 1st February 2012, 0:12

Apologies, due to an error an old story was included in the round-up, have removed it. Thanks to @snowman for pointing it out.

4. Jake (@jleigh) said on 1st February 2012, 0:13

Really excited about the Mclaren launch. Will be able to watch it this year due to joys of a 3rd year uni timetable!

Hopefully we’ll also get some answers on the mystery article.

5. ScuderiaVincero (@scuderiavincero) said on 1st February 2012, 0:18

I feel like a kid in a candy store! Oh wait… I’m actually beside one :D

6. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 1st February 2012, 0:22

I’ve been told that under the German penal code, the presence of a weapon – in this case, the glass – is enough to push the burden of responsibility onto Sutil. Even if Lux attacked first, Sutil had the glass in his hand when he struck back, causing serious injury.

I can’t confirm it, though.

• verstappen (@verstappen) said on 1st February 2012, 9:51

I think this works the same in a lot of countries. If you hit me and I hit you back very hard, thereby almost killing you – which is possible with one hit at the right spot – I’ll have to explain my excessive reaction to your hit to a judge.

There are mitigating circumstances (you hit me first), but my response (almost killed you) is what I’m tried for. I think that is exactly what a suspended sentence is for: It’s unclear if you’re a real criminal, or someone who just responded too hard.

The fine is another thing. I don’t know about other cases, but it feels like it’s a bit of a slippery road: when are you famous or rich enough to warrant a bigger fine? When do you have a job which requires more selfcontrol than a regular job? What fine would a constructionworker get? And a surgeon?

7. djdaveyp85 (@djdaveyp87) said on 1st February 2012, 0:24

Mega excited for the Macca launch! Hope its another beaut!

8. celeste (@celeste) said on 1st February 2012, 0:54

A tv character said once:

Friends should be with you during your first trial…

Enough with that…

• dpod (@dpod) said on 1st February 2012, 1:17

I feel absolutely gutted for Sutil. I would hope that my good friends would always be there for me in time of need. In a situation like this there is hardly anything more important than helping a friend who needs it.

• MylesW (@mpw1985) said on 1st February 2012, 1:53

Who says that Hamilton is Sutil’s good friend? I mean, they’re “good” friends in Formula 1 terms, but at the end of the day, it’s my opinion that it’s very hard for guys as competitive as F1 drivers to have truly “good” friends, especially inside of the sport.

• dpod (@dpod) said on 1st February 2012, 2:10

That is just the impression I get from these two drivers. I know wikipedia is not a very reliable source but it says “[Adrian Sutil] is close friends with Lewis Hamilton.” I would look for more evident but I’m a bit lazy. Anyways I would assume that being “just” a friend and a witness is surely a good enough reason to appear in court.

• Ivano (@) said on 1st February 2012, 9:23

@MylesW

Berger and Senna were the best of friends on and off the track.

Even Schumacher and Brundle, actually Michael even tried to get him into Ferrari before Irvine was announced.

And were many more, like Burti and Barrichello.

• Maybe Hamilton felt like the best thing he could do to help his friend was *not* testify. Maybe he honestly thought nothing he could say under oath would have helped his case at all. We just don’t know, and I suppose we’re unlikely to ever really know.

• verstappen (@verstappen) said on 1st February 2012, 9:58

According to Sutil, quoted here in sensationalist paper Bild:

Hamilton is a coward, with somebody like that I don’t wanna be friends. To me, he’s not a man. Even his father texted me wishing me luck with the trial. Nothing from Lewis. He changed his mobile number, I couldn’t reach him anymore

• celeste (@celeste) said on 1st February 2012, 10:57

@verstappen Aouch!!!!!!!

Seriously!!!!!!!! Gyess Sutil really was counting on his testimony somehow…

• celeste (@celeste) said on 1st February 2012, 13:57

I mean “guess”.

Speaking off… wonder if Hamilton didn´t appear in orden to not have a problem with the owner of Lotus. You know he is off contract this year…

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 1st February 2012, 2:08

nevermind the friendship. As far as I know, Hamilton was a witness…

• Dobin1000 (@dobin1000) said on 1st February 2012, 9:47

He obviously wasn’t called to appear by either prosecution or defence so he presumably didn’t actually witness anything of the incident itself.

Also, considering that his employer has been very busy recently they might have suggested he should be around to help out rather than spending his time watching a trial he was not a part of.

• It proves that there’s no such things as friends in F1, “if you want a friend, buy a dog…”

9. nackavich (@nackavich) said on 1st February 2012, 1:14

Just a little article about the legality of the new McLaren here

10. Joey-Poey (@joey-poey) said on 1st February 2012, 2:13

I agree that it’s awesome that Barrichello will be racing Indy Car, but I feel his appearance won’t make that big of an initial splash. I don’t anticipate most Indy fans to know of him unless they also follow F1.

• Mike (@mike) said on 1st February 2012, 5:25

that Barrichello will be racing Indy Car

Well, apart from the two day test nothing has been confirmed.

I think as long as he can get used to the car he should be quite strong. I still hope he comes back to F1, but indycar would be the next best thing.

Hell, if he does well it’d be pretty cool! :D

11. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 1st February 2012, 2:13

I wonder what effect will that have on Sutil & Hamilton’s friendship.

So only HRT to decide who will be their second driver & when will they launch their car,I hope they are not deciding whether to take part in 2012 F1 season.

12. Marcus (@jadedwriter) said on 1st February 2012, 2:18

Can’t wait to wake up, go to work and spend most of the morning drooling over the car instead of working.

13. OOliver said on 1st February 2012, 3:52

If Hamilton attended the trial, then he was required to attend further sessions which clashes with his F1 commitments, Mclaren will never allow that.
    I believe that is a manufactued angle.
    …”it would have been a nice gesture by him”…
    This sounds no way like Sutil made those comments.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 1st February 2012, 5:54

Um, the trail was over yesterday. Hamilton only would have been present for an hour or two, and once released by the court, he would be free to go. At most, he would probably lose six hours out of his day.

14. Calum (@calum) said on 1st February 2012, 5:08

Less than 6 hours to go!

Not that I’m counting…. :D :D

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 1st February 2012, 6:02

I had the weirdest dream about the MP4-27 being uneviled. It was the most bizarre Formula 1 car ever launched, but everyone was really positive about it:

- Two pieces of bodywork went up over the suspension assembly andconnected each side of the front wing to the sidepods. They were also attached to the front nose assembly for their length.

- The sidepods themselves were scalloped in a concave shape flaring out at the top and the bottom, but curving in at the centre. A series of fins mounted in front of the sidepod openings created a high-pressure area that sucked air in and forced it out over the diffuser, creating a blown effect without any moving parts.

- The airbox was lower than any we have seen on any car in recent years, and the end of the engine cownling was very high. It looked like an old CART chassis, but meaner.

15. Red Andy (@red-andy) said on 1st February 2012, 7:46

I expect that, at the post-launch press conference, someone from McLaren will blurt out, “but we don’t think it’s as good as the Red Bull.” After heated discussion on Twitter the comment will be removed from the transcripts and everyone will act like it’s never happened.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 1st February 2012, 8:56

Sorry, what were you saying? I was too busy not reading what you didn’t post on this non-exsitant website when I noticed your comments had been taken down. What comments am I talking about? I don’t know, because they’re not there anymore.