McLaren MP4-27 launch – first pictures of McLaren’s 2012 F1 car

2012 F1 cars

McLaren MP4-27, 2012

McLaren MP4-27, 2012

McLaren have revealed their latest F1 contender.

The MP4-27 is the car the team hope will allow Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton to compete for the championship in 2012.

Button said: “As you can see, this is a beautiful car. Many you see will not be.”

Team principal Martin Whitmarsh added: “Cars really do look beautiful if they win races. But beauty is more than skin deep and there’s some beautiful engineering under the skin.”

Hamilton described the new car as a “strong base”. The 2008 world champion said: “I’ve been keenly following the development of MP4-27 over the winter and I?ve been really encouraged by the results and the data that the engineers have been showing me.

“I think we already had a very strong base to build upon: Jenson and I won six races with MP4-26 last year and I think we?ve been able to retain all the strengths and the reliability of that design while also incorporating lots of improvements and new ideas into the new car.

??Of course, the biggest changes for 2012 are the modifications to the exhaust regulations ?ǣ that will reduce the downforce and grip that we had last year, but it just puts the emphasis on the designers to try and claw some of that back in other areas.”

According to McLaren, the new car features narrower rear bodywork, to improve airflow at the rear of the car. The revised cooling system re-directs air to the gearbox oil-cooler. The distinctive U-shaped sidepods of the 2011 car are gone, which McLaren say is a consequence of the FIA?s new exhaust regulations.

McLaren finished second in the championship for the last two years, and so have the numbers three and four on their cars once again. Whitmarsh said: “Having finished second in the constructors? championship for the past two seasons, we?re determined to mount a sustained, hard challenge for both world titles.

“Our engineering team continues to develop and grow: while the key names who head the department are well known ?ǣ Tim Goss, Paddy Lowe and Neil Oatley ?ǣ it?s the strength in depth within the department that continually impresses. I?m extremely proud of our efforts to invest in and recruit young graduate engineers and to develop and school them in the ways of Formula 1.”

Test driver Oliver Turvey will be first to drive the car at Jerez next week.

More information on the 2012 F1 season.

2012 F1 cars

Browse all 2012 F1 cars articles

Images ?? McLaren, F1 Fanatic

177 comments on McLaren MP4-27 launch – first pictures of McLaren’s 2012 F1 car

1. Drew007 said on 1st February 2012, 12:51

Wow..its looks stunning, but to be honest they could stick a silver bin up there with Vodafone on it and I’d fall in love with it.

It looks very tight at the back which I love and the side pods look agressively big.

I wonder how many “red hearings” they’ve stuck on there to draw peoples focus away from other areas. Like most people are stating, this is purely a launch car and will have not have the features most people are expecting…I can’t wait to see it on the track :-)

2. PJA (@pja) said on 1st February 2012, 12:57

After the launch of the Caterham I was worried that all the cars would have an ugly nose like that due to the new regulations, thankfully that isn’t the case.

The McLaren chrome/red livery is still my favourite on the grid and from these pictures there is nothing wrong with the shape of the car either.

Although I didn’t dislike the U-shaped sidepods on the MP4-26 I did prefer the more traditional style so I am glad McLaren have gone back to them on the MP4-27.

Overall I think it looks great, although it some details may change before the first race as none of the teams are going to give away any secrets at the launch if they can help it..

But it doesn’t matter how good a car looks the only thing that matters is how fast it is compared with the opposition.

3. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 1st February 2012, 13:12

Looks alright to me.

Interestingly, the front-end/nose is nothing like the Caterham. I wonder if Caterham will panic if more cars look like the MP4-27? That’s not to say that the aero will be any worse on the CT01 but surely they will be asking questions.

4. djdaveyp85 (@djdaveyp87) said on 1st February 2012, 13:22

Describing the car in one word: ORGASMIC!

5. Solo (@solo) said on 1st February 2012, 13:26

Anyone else noticed that one photo the Mp4-27 has extra air intakes while in others it does not?

6. montreal95 (@montreal95) said on 1st February 2012, 13:37

Awesome looking car. Nothing more to add.

Even though I’m not a Mclaren fan I hope it’s fast because it deserves to be successful as a reward.

• Iceman said on 2nd February 2012, 5:44

Yes. Even i am not a McLaren fan, But i hope it is insanely fast. I hope someone will overthrow RedBull. I have a feeling that McLaren is capable of doing it.

7. moshbeard (@moshbeard) said on 1st February 2012, 13:47

I won’t lie, I wanted to see something outrageously different to what we’re used to, but it looks good and hopefully it’s quick too.

8. Jezson (@jezson) said on 1st February 2012, 13:56

In my eyes, a very pretty car. Very clean and simple. Love that ass. It will be interesting to see how the 2012 wings look.

Those mirrors are HUGE. If Crashilton can’t see in those, maybe he should have an eye test.

• Its not about the size of them, its about how much they used to move around.

They look pretty identical to last years Redbull mirrors. Infact the shape of the car from the front wheels back, side-on view looks very much like last years Redbull, im surprised more people havnt mentioned that.

Anyway, hopefully the car is sufficently quick enough that the mirrors wont be needed :]

9. Fixy (@fixy) said on 1st February 2012, 15:02

Honestly, I’m liking it. That said, I also liked the CT01 (apart fom the nose). This car is simpler than last year’s, it has conventional sidepods and a nose without the CT01′s step. It’s definitely better than the MP4-26, which I remember not linking at all when I first saw it.

10. Xenon2 (@xenon2) said on 1st February 2012, 15:08

Undercut side pods, a tighter ‘coke-bottle’ zone at the rear and a possible air intake at the tip of the nose.

11. Tayyib (@m0nzaman) said on 1st February 2012, 15:12

It looks very nice, its easy on the eye, looks very refined and well thought out and am glad it doesn’t have the hammered in nose of the caterham last years car looked agressive but was slow in testing before they changed it for Oz this year it may prove to be the opposite.

12. raymondu999 (@raymondu999) said on 1st February 2012, 15:39

Apretty car does not wins make; but this car just looks ugly to me. The side pods look like a cross of the -24 and the -25. Nose too.

13. Nice One, apart from the nose everything looks new.

It may be stupid what i say now but please think about it.

It is not obvious that exhaust may feed rear wing either over or under it, they are pointing outside in my view. First of all i though they may be directed outside to completely get reed of the hot gases with makes sense.

But than i realized that it looks like they are going to feed brake ducts !?
    Brake ducts looks quite large to me and have splitters that can suggest gases of different temps may be passed through.
    Hot exhaust gases could help to keep brakes worm and than could be passed to the diffuser..

What do you think?

• apeman (@apeman) said on 1st February 2012, 16:14

The interaction with the airflow from around the sidepods will direct the exhaust gases towards the lower rear wing. There’s what looks like thermal shield coating on the rear suspension structure, which would also be consistent with the hot gases flowing at that level. That’s what it looks like at first glance anyway, but I’m sure Scarbs will explain it better.
      This might be a point for other teams to protest, as it pushes the exhaust regs.

• TBone said on 1st February 2012, 16:20

Could also be blowing exhaust gas directly onto the rear suspension which (as Scarbs will hopefully agree) is more efficient at creating downforce than blowing onto the beam wing or other bodywork

14. Rob Wilson (@rob-wilson) said on 1st February 2012, 16:00

Well i think it looks brilliant, sure it’s not too different from the previous 2 McLaren’s but i think that new lower nose looks really good. Can’t wait to see it on track.