Hamilton hushed over Sutil criticism

F1 Fanatic round-up

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, 2012

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, 2012

In the round-up: Lewis Hamilton keeps quiet as Adrian Sutil brands him a “coward” for not appearing as a witness at his trial in Germany.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Sutil: Hamilton is a coward (The Telegraph)

“Lewis is a coward, I don’t want to be friends with someone like that. For me, he is not a man. Even his father sent me a (text message) wishing me luck at the trial. I got nothing from Lewis. He changed his mobile number. I couldn’t reach him.”

McLaren gag Lewis Hamilton after Adrian Sutil brands him ‘a coward’ (The Guardian)

“A McLaren spokesman intervened and said: ‘We’ve been told Lewis shouldn’t really go there because it might go under appeal, so can we move on to the next question”, to which the 27-year-old Hamilton added: “I’ll listen to him.’”

Pay-drivers ‘absurd’ – Massa (ESPN)

“Today, there are only four teams that can afford to operate without drivers that bring money. It’s an absurd situation and I don’t think it’s good for F1 and especially the young drivers. Even if you get very good results in the formulas below (F1), you either have to be lucky or have money in order to get a seat. That’s not F1.”

Tittle-tattle from the F1 world (Joe Saward)

“The latest rumours from the F1 world suggest that Giedo Van der Garde is about to be named as the Caterham F1 Team test driver, unless Vitaly Petrov comes up with money to take over Jarno Trulli?s drive. The word is that there was a deal between Petrov and Caterham, but that the promised money has yet to arrive from Russia. It is said that one of the reasons that Petrov lost his job at Lotus F1 Team (the old Renault F1) was that his money took a long time to appear.”

Maranello white-out (Ferrari)

“It now looks as though there is little chance of carrying out the planned promotional filming featuring action shots of the car at the Fiorano track: even if the snow was to stop it?s hard to imagine that the escape roads could be cleared of their blanket of snow which is gradually building up.”

Follow F1 news as it breaks using the F1 Fanatic live Twitter app.

Comment of the day

Joey-Poey on Martin Whitmarsh’s hope F1 will crack the American market:

Amusing that he chose to mention both soccer and F1 (and called it soccer, I thought it was football to you guys?).

Neither of those “world sports” have truly permeated the American consciousness yet. We?re aware of them, no doubt, but ask an average person off the street to name one player or driver and you?re likely to get a blank stare.

I do agree with him that if they want to tackle it and really corner the market, they’ve got to promote it more. But more than that, it has to be made more accessible here.

Of course NASCAR is popular when most states have a race and you?re likely to get more than one opportunity to be within driving distance of one. Two races a year will work to start with since the hardcore fans will make the journey.

But if it’s going to get bigger than that, it?s going to take a combination of being accessible by location and mentally/culturally accessible. Drivers don’t live and work over here. They don’t even show up much over here (The Tony Stewart/Lewis Hamilton car swap was a great idea to give F1 presence).

Even the teams rarely have a car over here. Red Bull are the only ones I can think of who?ve brought one for people to see: out at the new Circuit of the Americas and bringing the RB7 at the Detroit Auto Show. Two Grands Prix will at least give them the incentive to improve the accessibility to American fans and I hope they capitalise on it.
Joey-Poey

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Invoke, Oliver Queisser, Sriram and photozen!

On this day in F1

The Lotus T128 was seen in the flesh for the first time on this day last year:

Image ?? McLaren

158 comments on Hamilton hushed over Sutil criticism

1. Joey-Poey (@joey-poey) said on 2nd February 2012, 17:15

Woohoo! CotD :D

Y’know, I can understand Sutil’s irritation, but it seems to me publicly calling him a coward won’t mend their relations. I suppose he’s been unleashed a bit now that he doesn’t have a place at any team (which probably means no PR person watering down everything he has to say). But I would figure it’d behoove him to keep something like that a private matter between him and Hamilton.

• Klaas (@klaas) said on 2nd February 2012, 20:02

I don’t think Sutil’s comments are related to having a seat in an F1 team or not. Apart from the fact that they are/were F1 drivers this issue has nothing to do with F1. Sutil only stated his disappointment about Hamilton’s behaviour and he did that because he was questioned about that fact.

2. caci99 (@caci99) said on 2nd February 2012, 18:10

I don’t know why we are getting so deep into this. This is a matter between them two. And it is private. I don’t see how this is related to F1 at all, or the only purpose of such rumors is only do to damage to the sport and the two drivers involved.
    Personally, I don’t like when private things go public. This is a matter to be discussed among friends, which we are not.

3. Shrieker (@shrieker) said on 2nd February 2012, 19:49

I can’t see why Hamilton wouldn’t help a long time friend, if he could. To me it sounds like Sutil thought Hamilton could help him -since he was sitting next to Sutil at the time the event occured (judging by the comment on cctv footage)- but in fact Hamilton could very well have not seen what had happened despite sitting next to him.

This is where it gets odd: Sutil probably thought Hamilton had evidence that could help his case when in fact Lewis had not. Maybe he tried to convince Lewis multiple times to help him, but in the end Lewis probably got sick, ended his friendship and changed his phone number.

Too many assumptions there, could very well be the truth, could be well off, we’ll -probably- never know. To me, if there were reasons preventing Lewis from helping his friend, McLaren telling him not to isn’t one of them.

Other than that, I concur with the idea that the matter is among only 2 of them and doesn’t concern anyone else. Because of that, people calling him “corporate robot” and stuff like that sound so pathetic. Haters will always found ways to undermine the person they despise i guess.

4. freefall said on 2nd February 2012, 20:25

My grasp of the law is pretty basic so excuse me if iam talking twaddle.

If Sutil would of pleaded not guilty Lewis would of been called as a witness, if he was unable to attend the trial it would of been postoned, more likely he would be summoned to attend regardless of other commitments and not attending would of meant him being in contempt of court, Sutil pleaded guilty therefore there was no legal need for Lewis to attend, now was Sutil expecting Lewis to show up and back Hes corner when sutil is guilty of GBH, I dont know about you but I woundn`t use a freind in that way if i was caught `bang to rights`

This is just Sutil trying to divert the attention away from himself.

• OOliver said on 3rd February 2012, 1:40

Strange how the one who didn’t cause any harm is the one being blamed for the consequence of another person’s actions.

If you call a persons phone, does the network tell you if they’ve changed their number?

• freefall said on 3rd February 2012, 2:55

Thinking about it, wouldn`t you change an destroy any phones connected to said offence after the NOTW scandel?

5. PMccarthy_is_a_legend (@pmccarthy_is_a_legend) said on 3rd February 2012, 0:52

For once Lewis made the right decision not to get involved with this Sutil nonsense. He has a championship to worry about, Sutil is a big boy, he can deal with the consequences of his indiscretions. The guy is done as far is F1 is concerned, Lewis on the other hand is a potential multiple world champion. Good on him.

6. Alain (@paganbasque) said on 3rd February 2012, 8:09

I am happy to see Sutil’s comment here because it seems that a great part of British media has ignored this polemic. In my opinion Hamilton’s attitude here is highly reprehensible , at least you should show some support to your friend, even if he is guilty, he has been a bad friend and a coward, perhaps his lawyers has advised him not do any comment about this issue in order to protect his F1 career.

Moreover, it seems that Hamilton hasn’t learnt anything in this winter break taking into account his stupid comments about Massa and Schumacher, Lewis you should learn from Jenson and speak only with your driving.