Ferrari cancel F1 car launch

2012 F1 season

Fiorano, 2012

Snow has forced Ferrari to cancel its launch ceremony

Ferrari have cancelled the launch ceremony for their 2012 F1 car tomorrow.

Heavy snow in Maranello has forced the team to rethinks its plans.

Ferrari announced on Twitter: “It is still snowing heavily here in Maranello. Therefore, the launch ceremony of the new F1 car has been cancelled.”

Ferrari added they will release images and technical details of their new car tomorrow.

2012 F1 season

Browse all 2012 F1 season articles

74 comments on Ferrari cancel F1 car launch

1. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 2nd February 2012, 7:46

Shame, it would have been fun in the snow!

2. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 2nd February 2012, 7:54

I’m surprised by this. Considering the shape of the post-2008 front wings, they could’ve simply used the new cars to shovel all the snow away.

3. damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 2nd February 2012, 8:11

I find it hard to believe that it could be snowing anywhere at this time of the year. It’s so mind-blowing for me to think it could be cold somewhere in the world right now!

I’m disappointed though. They could have just launched it indoors and fired it up later. Or they could have launched it outside in the snow for a truly spectacular display!

• Slr (@slr) said on 2nd February 2012, 8:16

Well it is winter in the northern hemisphere. Though where I am, it still hasn’t snowed this winter :(.

• Sempai (@sempai) said on 2nd February 2012, 17:15

Well Slr.. Brace yourself.

According to the Beeb Weather forecast, The white stuff is imminent (assuming that you are in the UK of course)

• Girts (@girts) said on 2nd February 2012, 8:23

@damonsmedley I had minus 24°C outside this morning :)

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 2nd February 2012, 8:25

I wish it snowed here. I’ve never witnessed snow falling from the sky. It must be magical.

• Gwenouille said on 2nd February 2012, 8:43

The strangest thing about snow is not visual but auditive: everything sounds smooth. The overall acoustic landscape is changed ! Imagine an empty room, and then the same with carpets all over the place and sofas: the sound is so drastically different.

• Adrian (@adrian_debian) said on 2nd February 2012, 8:54

This morning we had -22C, it’s freezing and now the wind started blowing and snowing, i only walked 15 minutes and i have wound on my hand coz i forgot my gloves and my skin just fissured. Also my lips are pretty broken… So trust me… you don’t miss anything

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 2nd February 2012, 13:22

@damonsmedley It looks nice but it’s a terrific pain in the backside. The UK seemingly grinds to a halt and I fall over so many times that my backside turns into one big bruise. Keep away for your own safety!

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 2nd February 2012, 14:25

Well, @damonsmedley, as @adrian_debian and @andrewtanner write, it looks nice, but having below -10 at day is REALLY cold.

Ferrari called it off partly because airports and highways are only partly functional with the heavy snowfall. Making it a pain for everyone to actually travel to Maranello. At least they will show real pictures instead of renders.

• Mike (@mike) said on 2nd February 2012, 15:39

I’ve seen snow, Mt Bulla…. Also I think when I was about 6 is snowed…

Which was a miracle and a half.

But I can’t really remember it.

I wouldn’t trade Aus weather for anything though.

• UNeedAFinn2Win said on 2nd February 2012, 9:29

-32C out up here… one the very, very few times I’m glad i have an office job.

Anybody else watch scarbs on the flying lap with peter windsor last night, they went over the MP4-27 with a comb, fascinating stuff…

• Puffy (@puffy) said on 2nd February 2012, 9:49

I don’t think I could survive sub-zero temperatures like that. It seldom gets below zero here, and only barely if it does. I’m finding it pretty cold today, and it’s 18C at the moment.

• Yorricksfriend (@yorricksfriend) said on 2nd February 2012, 11:22

Ha! Loving reading this convo about snow, I’ve seen at fall once at a ski resort in Victoria. But I prefer summer, 28 degrees C today – bare feet and no worries.

• Scalextric said on 2nd February 2012, 16:32

@DamonSmedley : I wonder if you’ve heard of anti-freeze in car radiators! I also wonder if Ferrari have. Imagine if they crack an engine bock in this cold weather!

• Gagnon (@johnniewalker) said on 2nd February 2012, 17:54

Sorry to tell you but here its around -35 to -40 with the wind for 3 weeks now with 3-4 feet of snow everywhere, im in canada. and I can say that after a week over -35 you doesnt f eel its cold anymore.

• I lived in Canada (Edmonton) for four years and found those -40oC January colds bearable, you simply put more layers on and you are fine. Then I moved to Texas and there is absolutely nothing you can do when it’s +40oC, even if you could take your skin off, you’d still sweat like a pig. Of the two extremes I definitely prefer cold.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 2nd February 2012, 23:14

I’m with you. I’ve always said, you can always put on more layers, but you can only take so many off. Texas weather sucks. I’ve had the misfortune of attending not one but two weddings in muggy Houston, and it’s no fun wearing a suit in that weather. Give me three feet of snow any day.

4. GeorgeDaviesF1 (@georgedaviesf1) said on 2nd February 2012, 8:13

I don’t get why they can’t just do it inside. In the UK when it rains at a BBQ you just go inside. Same thing really

5. Hatebreeder (@hatebreeder) said on 2nd February 2012, 8:18

maybe mclaren’s car made them go :O

6. Casanova (@casanova) said on 2nd February 2012, 8:22

Typo – ceremnony in the picture caption.

7. BBT (@bbt) said on 2nd February 2012, 8:26

At least we still get pictures tomorrow and there is the FI launch. :-)

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 2nd February 2012, 8:38

Honestly, I’m more excited for the Force India launch. We more or less know where Ferrari currently stacks up in comparison to everyone else. But Force India really made a push at the end of last year, and if they can carry that momentum over into 2012 – the extra $100 million from Sahara will certainly help – then they may even be able to threaten Mercedes. The launch of the VJM05 wil be the first indication of how much progress they have made.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 2nd February 2012, 8:46

@Prisoner-Monkeys But how we will know if the car is going to be any good simply by looking at it? I’m excited to see what the cars look like, and that’s all. For all I know, of the cars launched so far, the Caterham could be the quickest.

• smifaye (@smifaye) said on 2nd February 2012, 8:50

@damonsmedley because I am sure people within F1 know whether a car is at least going to be decent from just looking at it. They are incredibly clever people and know a good idea when they see it.

It would be good if that Caterham was fast though!

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 2nd February 2012, 8:55

As Martin Brundle said during commentary last year: i a car looks like it will be quick, then it probably will be quick.

• Dobin1000 (@dobin1000) said on 2nd February 2012, 10:01

Nobody saw the Brawn GP 001 coming though, did they?

The majority of previews for 2009 talked about whether it would be able to beat the usual back-markers in the Constructors’ Championship…

• BBT (@bbt) said on 2nd February 2012, 18:34

Dobin, That because nobody saw it ;-) it was clear from the final test it was the car to beat

• Mike (@mike) said on 2nd February 2012, 15:42

@damonsmedley

Agreed 100%

• Sempai (@sempai) said on 2nd February 2012, 17:21

If not the quickest but definitely the current front runner for the ugliest.

That nose to comply with the new regs is awful. McLaren have designed around it!

8. Eggry (@eggry) said on 2nd February 2012, 9:03

No way!! Just press images?

9. Lotus49 (@lotus49) said on 2nd February 2012, 9:13

Congratulations Keith on being one of the few websites to carry this news so early and, as far as I can see, the only one with a piccy of the snow in Italy.
    SCOOP!!

10. JohnH (@johnh) said on 2nd February 2012, 9:17

Perfect for the snowplough front wings :-)

11. raymondu999 (@raymondu999) said on 2nd February 2012, 9:38

@Keithcollantine Didn’t they say they would still stream an online launch though?

12. dennis (@dennis) said on 2nd February 2012, 10:33

They could at least let Di Montezemolo burry a California in a snow-bank and then show how the FF can tow it out.

13. NinjaBadger (@ninjabadger) said on 2nd February 2012, 11:20

That’s a shame. Would have been a great backdrop.

14. Toxic (@toxic) said on 2nd February 2012, 11:53

Snow… serious sh** :D

15. It’s clear the ICEman is back in F1

16. InternetF1Fan said on 2nd February 2012, 13:04

As usual, Ferrari don’t fail to dissapoint.

17. McGregski (@mcgregski) said on 2nd February 2012, 13:26

“Ferrari – The snow is faster than you, do you understand?”

18. Fixy (@fixy) said on 2nd February 2012, 13:50

It has heavily snowed here in Italy for the past two days. Today (in Milan at least) it has stopped, but before the snow melts a few days will pass, and only if the temperatures rise (the forecasts say the opposite will happen, bringing dangerous ice sheets everywhere.

19. rob from inverness said on 2nd February 2012, 14:46

The web site F1-Direct ( close to the Scuderia ) suggests that it will have pictures of the new Ferrari at 1900h UK time tonight.

20. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 2nd February 2012, 15:15

Well I’ve been building up all week to tomorrow, I’m kinda disappointed. At least there’ll be some photos…