Ferrari F2012 launch – first pictures and video of Ferrari’s 2012 F1 car

2012 F1 cars

Ferrari F2012

Ferrari F2012

Ferrari have revealed their 2012 F1 car in Maranello. The team’s latest challenger has been named the F2012.

After Fernando Alonso narrowly missed out on the championship in 2010, Ferrari endured a poor season by their standards last year. Alonso won just once and Felipe Massa never finished higher than fifth.

The team vowed to take a less conservative approach with their new car.

“The main changes when compared to 2011 concern the height of the front section of the chassis, the position of the exhaust pipes and the mapping for the electronic engine management,” said a statement released by the team.

“Practically every area of the car has been fundamentally revised, starting with the suspension layout: both the front and rear feature pull-rods, aimed at favouring aerodynamic performance and lowering the centre of gravity.

“The front wing is derived from the one introduced on the 150??? Italia in the final part of its racing life and has been evolved from there. Further evolutions are planned in this area for the opening races of the season.

Ferrari F2012

Ferrari F2012

“The nose has a step in it that is not aesthetically pleasing: with the requirement from the regulations to lower the front part, this was a way of raising the bottom part of the chassis as much as possible for aerodynamic reasons. The sides have been redesigned, through modifications to the side impact structures, the repositioning of the radiators and revisions to all aerodynamic elements.

“The lower part of the rear of the car is much narrower and more tapered, a feature achieved partly through a new gearbox casing and a relocation of some mechanical components. In recent years, the area of exhausts has been crucial in terms of car performance and much effort was expended on this front, based on changes to the regulations introduced this year. The rear wing is conceptually similar to the one used in 2011, but every detail of it has been revised and it is now more efficient.

“Naturally, it is still fitted with DRS (a drag reduction system,) which is operated hydraulically. The front and rear air intakes for the brakes have been redesigned and work was carried out in collaboration with Brembo to optimise the braking system.”

Heavy snow in Maranello forced the team to cancel their launch ceremony and scrap plans for a shakedown run on their Fiorano circuit.

Here are the first pictures of Ferrari’s new F1 car:

2012 F1 cars

Browse all 2012 F1 cars articles

Images ?? Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo

257 comments on Ferrari F2012 launch – first pictures and video of Ferrari’s 2012 F1 car

1. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:18

Did MC Escher design this car? It just looks wrong to my eyes. You’ve got all these angles at one end and curves at the other, and it just seems to come across as entirely contradictory. Even if the Caterham CT-01 had a beautiful rear despite its nose, the F2012 is just as ugly at the back as it is at the front. Maybe the FIA should put a rush order on those low noses for 2013 …

• electrolite (@electrolite) said on 3rd February 2012, 10:34

@prisoner-monkeys

I kind of thought the same when I first looked at it. But the fact it’s so different any of the others we’ve seen (in my eyes) is really intriguing. Something tells me it’s going to be either hugely fast, or massively slow.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 3rd February 2012, 10:47

@electrolite – I can’t help but think that Ferrari and Caterham are only using the stepped nose because they’re obligated to under the rules. Given the choice, they would no doubt run a full nose at the full height. McLaren and Force India, on the other hand, have found inventive solutions to the height discrepancy in the rules; McLaren found a way to avoid the step, whilst Force India took it to an extreme and came up with something very interesting.

With its blocky angles, oversized front wing and stick-out exhaust outlet, I can’t help but think that Ferrari have looked to a combine harvester for inspiration.

• Bleeps_and_Tweaks (@bleeps_and_tweaks) said on 3rd February 2012, 11:49

@Prisoner-Monkeys Looking at it I would have pretty serious concerns about the incline of that nose as well. The angle is almost as severe as a wing! Surely it’s going to upset flow to the rear wing/over the sidepods being that steep.

All I can think is that Ferrari have decided the air flow under the nose to the floor and sidepods is way more important.

• electrolite (@electrolite) said on 3rd February 2012, 11:57

Same here, I’m still trying to figure out why they would leave the nose like that. Not a clue.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 3rd February 2012, 12:08

I’m guessing that despite the extreme angle at the step, the flow of air over the car isn’t interrupted. Certainly not to the extent that the images imply they might be. I can only imagine that the the angle “kicks” the air up, where it gets caught by the airbox.

• raymondu999 (@raymondu999) said on 3rd February 2012, 18:57

@bleeps_and_tweaks @electrolite as I said above, there is very little aero effect. Just a local high pressure zone followed by a local low, and a couple of weak vortices.

• Ru.Bd said on 5th February 2012, 7:51

And i think this steeped nose will provide two benefit:

1. More air to feed into the sidepod and the rear and
        2. Air over the nose will directly goes for the additional cooing inlets nd thus provide more air nd they can be blown into the rear simultaneously as well….

:D

2. andrewf1 said on 3rd February 2012, 9:18

Kill it before it lays eggs!…although i do like the back part and sidepods.

3. Dj xo2 (@dj-xo2) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:19

Oh dear….I reckon I can delete the standard reply of “f1 is just so sexy” from my vocabulary.

4. Jake (@jakehardyf1) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:19

I just spewed in my mouth. The McLaren is gorgeous compared to this :(

5. I had to look away from my screen when they unveiled that nose, I truly did, looks terrible, but it’s a Ferrari Formula One car, so I’m ok with that ;)

6. sam3110 (@sam3110) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:19

it’s not just the nose, it’s got weird growths coming out of the sidepods, and a bit of a hunchback too

7. bananarama (@bananarama) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:19

That is probably the ugliest Ferrari I have seen. I don’t really know what to say, this is quite shocking. But as I said about the McLaren, it will most lokely improve a lot when its on a track.

Anyone remember the tradition that every year when the car was revealed, Schumacher said it was the prettiest car he had ever seen (which was usually true)?! I can’t see Alonso (or anyone) say that. Domenicali was absolutely right when he said it wasn’t pleasing on the eye and its not just the nose. The exhaust construction looks even more extreme than McLarens, I’m a bit surprised FIA didn’t deem them against the spirit of the rules.

Well, I’ll take that car, it will be ok, but it has to be as fast as its ugly.

• Girts (@girts) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:28

@bananarama Juan Manuel Fangio said that, already in the late 1940s, he had understood that the winning cars were always the most beautiful ones. That was after he had won a race driving some utter crocodile :)

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 3rd February 2012, 17:46

The Ferraris Michael Schumacher drove got better every year, until 2004 I’d say. The F2005 was a small step backwards in aestehetics, then the 248 F1 and the F2007 were better and the F2008 was the best.

8. TED BELL said on 3rd February 2012, 9:20

LEGO NOSE

9. SamC (@samc) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:20

Oh dear, it looks like it’s already crashed and had it’s nose broken!
    (I thought the exhausts were supposed to exit at an upward angle under the new rules?)

10. Roald (@roald) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:21

Phew… that is pretty bad indeed. I kind of expected bigger winglets in front of the sidepods though, the drawings showed a lot bigger ones… but I already thought they’d be illegal by today’s rules.

Yeah, well… let’s hope these noses disappear after 2012… that’s all there is left to say really.

11. dennis (@dennis) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:23

Their merchandise deal with LEGO does really show this time around.

12. msoerensen (@msoerensen) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:23

Mclaren mentioned they where prepared for a legal battle over their new car.. Have anybody heard some more about this? I guess they are referring to the nose.. I just can’t imagine the Mclaren nose being legal when none of the other teams who have presented their car yet have a similar nose?

• dennis (@dennis) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:30

Check out scarbsf1’s blog. He explained why the nose is indeed legal. It’s simply lower than the others.

• west (@west) said on 3rd February 2012, 18:46

Mclaren used a lower chasis and it was the only team to use it, that was part of 2012 reg there for the nose is legal. Green talked about it on the launching of force india sahara.

13. UNeedAFinn2Win said on 3rd February 2012, 9:25

This year is NOT one to try get your friends onboard F!…just wow, w-o-w…

…wait, we’re not trying to break into a major market this season, are we ?

14. bearforce1 (@bearforce1) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:25

The sad thing is that this is completely unnecessary. Mclaren showed you can still make a beautiful-not hideous car, with the current regulations.

So so unnecessary…

• Chris said on 3rd February 2012, 10:22

Time will tell how unnecessary it is. The McLaren, while looking gorgeous, could be a brick with wheels. The Ferrari, while looking like lego bricks on wheels, could perform gorgeously.

Obviously, I hope not – hopefully, McLaren have produced a championship winning car.

• Ru.Bd said on 5th February 2012, 9:23

Most important things is Mac is continuing their design philosophy from 2011 to present car, but if other cars want to do the same low nose then they have to completely redesign their car nd have to adopt a new design philosophy. so why to change to a new uncertain design, it is logical to go for the known track and re tuned it. Hope i m right……..

15. Gonox said on 3rd February 2012, 9:27

Won’t that bump in the nose will help for more front grip ? Since it is a higher surface against the wind, like a pressure ?

16. Jarred Walmsley (@jarred-walmsley) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:27

I think we all owe Caterham a big apology, the CT-01 is no where near the ugliness of this. Obviously the McLaren is the best looking so far, hopefully Red Bull will go for the streamlined nose like McLaren instead of the step nose. At least then we’ll have some competition for prettiest car cause at this stage they’re all just lining up for the ugliest award

17. BBT (@bbt) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:31

Mini U side pods *wink*, tiny Rad intakes, what this baby over heat while following cars….. they must have done something clever with the cooling, second intake behind the air box, alla Mclaren last year.

18. Mads (@mads) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:31

What have they done with the exhaust? Isn’t it supposed to point upwards at a minimum angle of 10 degrees?
    Oh another thing, that thing makes the Caterham look like Scarlett Johansson…

19. Bumfez said on 3rd February 2012, 9:35

It looks like Owen Wilson.

20. W-K (@w-k) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:44

I know they said it was ugly, but even on that scale this is over the top. It better perform, I must go chat with my old work colleagues in Italy to see what their reaction is.