Ferrari F2012 launch – first pictures and video of Ferrari’s 2012 F1 car

2012 F1 cars

Ferrari F2012

Ferrari F2012

Ferrari have revealed their 2012 F1 car in Maranello. The team’s latest challenger has been named the F2012.

After Fernando Alonso narrowly missed out on the championship in 2010, Ferrari endured a poor season by their standards last year. Alonso won just once and Felipe Massa never finished higher than fifth.

The team vowed to take a less conservative approach with their new car.

“The main changes when compared to 2011 concern the height of the front section of the chassis, the position of the exhaust pipes and the mapping for the electronic engine management,” said a statement released by the team.

“Practically every area of the car has been fundamentally revised, starting with the suspension layout: both the front and rear feature pull-rods, aimed at favouring aerodynamic performance and lowering the centre of gravity.

“The front wing is derived from the one introduced on the 150??? Italia in the final part of its racing life and has been evolved from there. Further evolutions are planned in this area for the opening races of the season.

Ferrari F2012

Ferrari F2012

“The nose has a step in it that is not aesthetically pleasing: with the requirement from the regulations to lower the front part, this was a way of raising the bottom part of the chassis as much as possible for aerodynamic reasons. The sides have been redesigned, through modifications to the side impact structures, the repositioning of the radiators and revisions to all aerodynamic elements.

“The lower part of the rear of the car is much narrower and more tapered, a feature achieved partly through a new gearbox casing and a relocation of some mechanical components. In recent years, the area of exhausts has been crucial in terms of car performance and much effort was expended on this front, based on changes to the regulations introduced this year. The rear wing is conceptually similar to the one used in 2011, but every detail of it has been revised and it is now more efficient.

“Naturally, it is still fitted with DRS (a drag reduction system,) which is operated hydraulically. The front and rear air intakes for the brakes have been redesigned and work was carried out in collaboration with Brembo to optimise the braking system.”

Heavy snow in Maranello forced the team to cancel their launch ceremony and scrap plans for a shakedown run on their Fiorano circuit.

Here are the first pictures of Ferrari’s new F1 car:

2012 F1 cars

Browse all 2012 F1 cars articles

Images ?? Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo

257 comments on Ferrari F2012 launch – first pictures and video of Ferrari’s 2012 F1 car

1. damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:15

The nose is the only bit I don’t really like. Other than that, it’s not a bad looking car! Still, I preferred the F150 Italia thing or whatever it was called.

2. Macca (@macca) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:15

It looks like Kim Kardashian, great rear but horrendous nose.

3. jodrell (@jodrell) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:16

I think that even worse than the Caterham…very aggressive step and a really flat nose forward of the step. #eeewwwwwwwww

4. callum (@095cal) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:17

Domenicali wasn’t lying :D

5. Girts (@girts) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:17

OMG, THEY HAVE IT! THE NOSE!!! LOVE IT!!!

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:53

In the sense that is so clearly the worse, most blocky, and extreme way the 2012 rules allow the nose, it is as if they wanted to make a point? It could almost be magnificent in its brutality, I guess.

Having now seen a shot from the front, they do clearly get a lot of air under it though, quite impressive.

6. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:18

Did MC Escher design this car? It just looks wrong to my eyes. You’ve got all these angles at one end and curves at the other, and it just seems to come across as entirely contradictory. Even if the Caterham CT-01 had a beautiful rear despite its nose, the F2012 is just as ugly at the back as it is at the front. Maybe the FIA should put a rush order on those low noses for 2013 …

• electrolite (@electrolite) said on 3rd February 2012, 10:34

@prisoner-monkeys

I kind of thought the same when I first looked at it. But the fact it’s so different any of the others we’ve seen (in my eyes) is really intriguing. Something tells me it’s going to be either hugely fast, or massively slow.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 3rd February 2012, 10:47

@electrolite – I can’t help but think that Ferrari and Caterham are only using the stepped nose because they’re obligated to under the rules. Given the choice, they would no doubt run a full nose at the full height. McLaren and Force India, on the other hand, have found inventive solutions to the height discrepancy in the rules; McLaren found a way to avoid the step, whilst Force India took it to an extreme and came up with something very interesting.

With its blocky angles, oversized front wing and stick-out exhaust outlet, I can’t help but think that Ferrari have looked to a combine harvester for inspiration.

• Bleeps_and_Tweaks (@bleeps_and_tweaks) said on 3rd February 2012, 11:49

@Prisoner-Monkeys Looking at it I would have pretty serious concerns about the incline of that nose as well. The angle is almost as severe as a wing! Surely it’s going to upset flow to the rear wing/over the sidepods being that steep.

All I can think is that Ferrari have decided the air flow under the nose to the floor and sidepods is way more important.

7. andrewf1 said on 3rd February 2012, 9:18

Kill it before it lays eggs!…although i do like the back part and sidepods.

8. Dj xo2 (@dj-xo2) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:19

Oh dear….I reckon I can delete the standard reply of “f1 is just so sexy” from my vocabulary.

9. Jake (@jakehardyf1) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:19

I just spewed in my mouth. The McLaren is gorgeous compared to this :(

10. I had to look away from my screen when they unveiled that nose, I truly did, looks terrible, but it’s a Ferrari Formula One car, so I’m ok with that ;)

11. sam3110 (@sam3110) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:19

it’s not just the nose, it’s got weird growths coming out of the sidepods, and a bit of a hunchback too

12. bananarama (@bananarama) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:19

That is probably the ugliest Ferrari I have seen. I don’t really know what to say, this is quite shocking. But as I said about the McLaren, it will most lokely improve a lot when its on a track.

Anyone remember the tradition that every year when the car was revealed, Schumacher said it was the prettiest car he had ever seen (which was usually true)?! I can’t see Alonso (or anyone) say that. Domenicali was absolutely right when he said it wasn’t pleasing on the eye and its not just the nose. The exhaust construction looks even more extreme than McLarens, I’m a bit surprised FIA didn’t deem them against the spirit of the rules.

Well, I’ll take that car, it will be ok, but it has to be as fast as its ugly.

• Girts (@girts) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:28

@bananarama Juan Manuel Fangio said that, already in the late 1940s, he had understood that the winning cars were always the most beautiful ones. That was after he had won a race driving some utter crocodile :)

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 3rd February 2012, 17:46

The Ferraris Michael Schumacher drove got better every year, until 2004 I’d say. The F2005 was a small step backwards in aestehetics, then the 248 F1 and the F2007 were better and the F2008 was the best.

13. TED BELL said on 3rd February 2012, 9:20

LEGO NOSE

14. SamC (@samc) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:20

Oh dear, it looks like it’s already crashed and had it’s nose broken!
    (I thought the exhausts were supposed to exit at an upward angle under the new rules?)

15. Roald (@roald) said on 3rd February 2012, 9:21

Phew… that is pretty bad indeed. I kind of expected bigger winglets in front of the sidepods though, the drawings showed a lot bigger ones… but I already thought they’d be illegal by today’s rules.

Yeah, well… let’s hope these noses disappear after 2012… that’s all there is left to say really.