Ferrari F2012 launch – first pictures and video of Ferrari’s 2012 F1 car

2012 F1 cars

Ferrari F2012

Ferrari F2012

Ferrari have revealed their 2012 F1 car in Maranello. The team’s latest challenger has been named the F2012.

After Fernando Alonso narrowly missed out on the championship in 2010, Ferrari endured a poor season by their standards last year. Alonso won just once and Felipe Massa never finished higher than fifth.

The team vowed to take a less conservative approach with their new car.

“The main changes when compared to 2011 concern the height of the front section of the chassis, the position of the exhaust pipes and the mapping for the electronic engine management,” said a statement released by the team.

“Practically every area of the car has been fundamentally revised, starting with the suspension layout: both the front and rear feature pull-rods, aimed at favouring aerodynamic performance and lowering the centre of gravity.

“The front wing is derived from the one introduced on the 150?é?? Italia in the final part of its racing life and has been evolved from there. Further evolutions are planned in this area for the opening races of the season.

Ferrari F2012

Ferrari F2012

“The nose has a step in it that is not aesthetically pleasing: with the requirement from the regulations to lower the front part, this was a way of raising the bottom part of the chassis as much as possible for aerodynamic reasons. The sides have been redesigned, through modifications to the side impact structures, the repositioning of the radiators and revisions to all aerodynamic elements.

“The lower part of the rear of the car is much narrower and more tapered, a feature achieved partly through a new gearbox casing and a relocation of some mechanical components. In recent years, the area of exhausts has been crucial in terms of car performance and much effort was expended on this front, based on changes to the regulations introduced this year. The rear wing is conceptually similar to the one used in 2011, but every detail of it has been revised and it is now more efficient.

“Naturally, it is still fitted with DRS (a drag reduction system,) which is operated hydraulically. The front and rear air intakes for the brakes have been redesigned and work was carried out in collaboration with Brembo to optimise the braking system.”

Heavy snow in Maranello forced the team to cancel their launch ceremony and scrap plans for a shakedown run on their Fiorano circuit.

Here are the first pictures of Ferrari’s new F1 car:

2012 F1 cars

Browse all 2012 F1 cars articles

Images ?é?® Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo

257 comments on Ferrari F2012 launch – first pictures and video of Ferrari’s 2012 F1 car

1 4 5 6 7 8 10
  1. Ivano said on 3rd February 2012, 10:43

Looks like something out of Star Wars… I just want to cry.

2. Olga B (@queenolga) said on 3rd February 2012, 10:44

Hey, where is that totally cool comparison with new and old ferrari?? I really love it!! ;)

3. Samet said on 3rd February 2012, 10:44

I’m actually curious as to why Force India, Caterham and now Ferrari have those ugly bulge-like front noses. Is this because of the new regulations? If so, why didn’t McLaren implement it?

• Snafu (@snafu) said on 3rd February 2012, 12:14

yes its because of regulations. for safety of drivers the nose should be lower than an specified standard.
      Mclaren’s nose was already within that standard last year so they didn’t change it.

• Dphect (@dphect) said on 3rd February 2012, 13:21

It appears Mclaren has lowered their chassis, or so Martin Brundle says on twitter…

“McLaren have tray/tongue system under front of their chassis and such a concept means they lower the chassis and not just the ‘broken’ nose”

4. antonyob (@antonyob) said on 3rd February 2012, 10:45

it looks like a dog and normally thats not good news. i think if the RBR looks ugly then maybe Mclarens rather beautiful 2012 offering will be the dog but Ferrari have always dreamt up new ways of being icompetent with ever greater resources, Schumacher years apart.

5. Tom (@tomforpresident) said on 3rd February 2012, 10:45

by not having the raised shoulders cars sport of late, that nose seems even more predominant, eek. interesting exhaust work though, makes the top view look cool, and the body work covering the exhausts must be great for funneling air to the diffuser.

6. The teams who ran high bulkheads last year and ’10 where always going to have this stepped nose. They know what works with their particular car. Mclaren have ran lower bulkhead/nose than everyone last year so it stands to reason they would still keep that philosophy also. Neither design is going to put someone at the front or back of the grid, theres thousands of factors that go into a car being quick.

I suspect the running order at the front this year will still be the same as last year, maybe just tightend up a bit, which hopefully will see the Redbulls not on pole so much.

• Arijit (@arijitmaniac) said on 3rd February 2012, 15:54

I think your post makes the most sense… McLaren are used to having a low chassis… By increasing the car’s rake they have managed to stay within the rules without making much changes to the nose.
      Also last year ferrari had one of the highest noses, so this does make sense.

All that said, as long as the car is fast there are no issues.

7. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 3rd February 2012, 10:52

As I said when Caterham launched, I’ll get used to it.
    To me it’s starting to look beautiful already, especially because of the flat red.

8. Toxic (@toxic) said on 3rd February 2012, 10:54

I like it :) Maybe the cars doesn’t look nice at the front but each of them is different. It’s like coming back to the old days. Maybe we will see the same excitement!

9. David-A (@david-a) said on 3rd February 2012, 10:57

Without a shadow of a doubt, the ugliest Ferrari ever.

10. emaema said on 3rd February 2012, 10:59

where is the exhaust
    i cant find it

11. djdaveyp85 (@djdaveyp87) said on 3rd February 2012, 11:02

Personally, I like it.

The front and rear wings are nowhere near what they are going to race. You only have to look at the simplicity of the front wing to know that.

I think we will see most cars with a step there TBH. Plus that little step will create some extra downforce right over the front axle, in an area where they weren’t usually able to put aero devices!

Lets see what its like when it hits the track. I hope McLaren kick their bottoms :)

12. Is it me or am I the only one who like something different and the ever changing look of F1 cars, if they were all the same all the time it would be boring and if they never changed it would be boring.

It’s a breath of fresh air, I like the big front wings, I like the weird noses, I just wish they would have big rear wings as well.

Or bigger wheels/tyres like in the 70’s so that they can have the same sized wings.

• WillP said on 3rd February 2012, 11:54

From my point of view, the point is not that this is different… If somebody just came up with the idea and it worked, everyone would folllow and we would learn to live with it.

My problem is that this change is a very visual acknowledgement that the rules tried to squash the cars downwards at the front, and this is EXACTLY what happened. It serves no purpose except to meet a rules target. That imaginary box outlining the maximum dimensions for the bulkhead that we have seen in diagrams? You can almost see it, bending these techonlogical marvels into wonky crash-victims. It is sad to see.

• Dphect (@dphect) said on 3rd February 2012, 13:27

I’m sure I read somewhere when the regs came out that the lower noses where for safety.

• vjanik said on 3rd February 2012, 15:31

i think the FIA should just draw an F1 car and have the teams fill the mold. Looks like thats where we’re heading. The walls are getting closer and closer each year, and eventually all the cars will look the same because the rules will be so tightly defined.

• hays33d (@hays33d) said on 3rd February 2012, 21:00

Yes it’s ugly. But I applaud the FIA for making a rule for safety before an incident happens. Looking at history, it almost always took someone to get seriously hurt or killed before anything changed.

I’m happy they took this step before a drivers head got hit by a nose cone. Personally I think they should make them even lower.

13. vjanik said on 3rd February 2012, 11:15

the stepped noses are ugly but i am happy the sharkfins are gone. those were even worse IMO.

14. John Edwards said on 3rd February 2012, 11:17

Oh my. That’s a train wreck isn’t it?

I’m pretty stunned that they went for that interpretation, I don’t get qhy they are going for that jump in the nose as they all have to be at the same height at the tip, the McLaren just kinks down more.

What an abortion.

15. RacingGreen said on 3rd February 2012, 11:29

Keith, I appreciate that the Caterham, Ferrari and Force India look the way they do at the front because of the regs, but I think it would be useful if we could all understand the differences in height beneath the chassis at the front. The stepped noses are due to the aero departments looking for the biggest unobstructed area on the underside, as I understand it. Does this mean that Mclaren are already on the back foot? Is there any photo comparison work that you can do to try and establish the differences between each car as with the exhaust regs as they now are I’m sure that most teams see this area as 100% critical, which begs the question, why have the woking boys (and girls) not gone this way. Another dose of your legendary analysis please!

1 4 5 6 7 8 10