Force India VJM05 launch – first pictures of their 2012 F1 car

2012 F1 cars

Force India VJM05, 2012

Force India VJM05, 2012

Force India have launched their 2012 F1 car at Silverstone circuit.

The VJM05 is their fourth car to use a Mercedes engine. It will be driver by Paul di Resta and Nico Hulkenberg, the latter taking Adrian Sutil’s place at the Silverstone-based squad.

The team aim to build on their best-ever result of sixth in the constructors’ championship last year.

Di Resta, who starts his second season with the team, said: “The thing we’re going for this season is a stronger start than we did last year.

“Our momentum towards the end of the year was incredible and I think everyone is still on a buzz from that and it would be great to start from where we left off.”

“I want to do better, that’s my main focus. Last year we were very close to coming fifth as a constructor and we met our ambitions by finishing sixth.

“We’ll keep moving on, as long as it’s upwards, that’s the main focus. We need to push and carry that momentum from last year.”

Di Resta and Hulkenberg each have a single F1 season to their name. Di Resta added: “Hopefully me and Nico can work well together. We’re quite young but we’re very ambitious.”

Hulkenberg, who drove for Williams in 2010 and was Force India’s reserve driver in 2011, said: “It feels good to be making a return to F1.

“I was very happy when I found out because last year, sat on the sidelines wasn’t easy. But still a good year because Force India gave me the opportunity to prove my skills on Friday mornings.

“I think I improved and continued to learn in 2011, but in different ways. Obviously I wasn’t driving, but behind the scenes, on the pitwall seeing how everything worked – these are all things that should help me in races.”

Here are the first pictures of Force India’s new F1 car:

Quotes and additional reporting by Dan Cross.

2012 F1 cars

Browse all 2012 F1 cars articles

Images ?é?® F1 Fanatic/lsphotos.co.uk, Force India/Sutton

91 comments on Force India VJM05 launch – first pictures of their 2012 F1 car

1. I have hated all FIs since they have been in the sport but this is bloody gorgeous. I’ve wanted them to be less white for ages and they finally are! :D The nose is kind of weird with that dip/step but I think I really like it which means by tomorrow I’ll probably be repulsed by it.

2. Tom (@tomforpresident) said on 3rd February 2012, 10:25

seriously undercut sidepods, practically double floor territory, very nice. These noses really will take some getting used too, i’m usually a fan of ‘ugly’ cars but not so sure right now.

3. Dan Thorn (@dan-thorn) said on 3rd February 2012, 10:37

Controversial opinion: I really like these stepped noses. Now I’m used to them, they look angular and aggressive. The Force India looks fantastic, the Ferrari is a little odd but so, so pretty in profile view, and livery aside, the Caterham looks quite good. The McLaren looks bland in comparison…

• Agree. I’m still getting over the shock of seeing the Ferrari for the first time but I don’t mind the noses. They’re kind of mad which I like. The FI is just splendid and I only don’t like the Caterham because of the nasty shade of green. I stand by my opinion of the Mclaren: it looks bloated, undefined and has no character.

4. OOliver said on 3rd February 2012, 10:42

In aerodynamic, it is often assumed that a sharp profile offers the lowest drag coefficient, but that is not necessarily true.
    You will be surprised to find that the drag induced by the blunt forehead is almost negligible.

5. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 3rd February 2012, 10:46

It seems FI have taken the Toro Rosso sidepod solution. They’re very flat and low.

They’ve really made that livery work this year, haven’t they?

6. jonchuckle (@jonchuckle) said on 3rd February 2012, 10:57

Am I the only one bothered by di Resta’s Coulthard-like insistence on painting everything with a St Andrew’s Saltire? Di Resta races as a Briton, not a Scot (Scotland not being a sovereign nation and thus not issuing racing licences), so the FIA should mandate that he uses a Union Flag, like they did with Irvine and his messy trips to the podium.

And anyway, the wonderful thing about the Union Flag is that it’s a inclusive flag that already has a Saltire for Scotland in. Jenson and Lewis don’t have St George’s Crosses stuck on their cars.

• electrolite (@electrolite) said on 3rd February 2012, 11:10

I don’t find myself that bothered by it, to be honest…If he wants to be a Scot rather than a Brit is that such a problem?

the FIA should mandate that he uses a Union Flag

Seriously?

• jonchuckle (@jonchuckle) said on 3rd February 2012, 11:42

Fair enough. I meant on his overalls, etc.: he’s British as far as racing is concerned, irrespective of any personal preference. There’s no sovereign country called Scotland.

It’s like Alonso insisting he’s an Asturian, not a Spaniard (which he is, but only in the same way that I’m an Essex-ian).

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 3rd February 2012, 16:33

I don’t mind too much if that’s how he mainly prefers to define himself. I consider myself Southern, English and British. Those are probably my main identities. I like to think the Scottish people still consider themselves united with the rest of the country as British though. It’s nice to have separate identities, but a combined one is also nice, which is why I think the Scottish getting independence would be a shame, just because it seems unnecessary. It doesn’t bother me that my country is really UK rather than England, and I find it surprising if Scottish people are really so keen to be seen as completely independent.

7. NickV (@nickv) said on 3rd February 2012, 11:01

I think this is the best looking car so far – loving the new livery

8. sam pooley said on 3rd February 2012, 11:30

this new force india isn’t the best looking f1 car ever but i quite like it. the nose on the new force india is much more refined and better looking than the new ferrari nose, however, this isn’t really saying much as other things such as genitle warts are better looking than the ferrari. to be honest with you, the force india nose looks very much like the nose on the 2011 mercedes car, give or take a few inches in the hight of the nose.

9. Polishboy808 said on 3rd February 2012, 12:02

Wow, it looks great! Not just for this years regs, but I think this car genuinely looks good. Now compared to the fat McLaren and the stupidly ugly Ferrari, this thing is beautiful! I hope the rest of the cars have a front nose at least kind of like this one.

10. sumedh said on 3rd February 2012, 12:04

The stepped nose AND a moustache at the end of it. I hope that it was only to house a temporary camera and isn’t a permanent thing

11. McLarenFanJamm (@mclarenfanjamm) said on 3rd February 2012, 12:06

Least relevant comment of the day but… WOW! How shiny are those tyres!?

12. NinjaBadger (@ninjabadger) said on 3rd February 2012, 13:09

should be a good view from the camera

13. HUHHII (@huhhii) said on 3rd February 2012, 13:11

Force India’s car is definitely my favorite at the moment. It’s not boring (unlike McLaren) and it’s not horrid (unlike Ferrari and Caterham).

14. PJA (@pja) said on 3rd February 2012, 13:52

Another new car with the stepped nose, which I personally think are ugly. While I have never disliked the Force India livery I can’t say I have been a fan of it, but I think it may be growing on me.

15. JK (@justingt5) said on 3rd February 2012, 14:21

I actually like it, the more I look the more its growing on me. Defo not a shy car and some areas look to well optimised, nice work on the side pod and front wing looks pretty functional. Not as adventurous exhausts as Mclaren or Ferrari but I assume thats what the lower “mini wing” is for on the centre of the lower rear wing beam, to try and utilise the flow for some small amount of aero gain?? I expect to see some clever diffuser work as the year progresses as the cars are going to be running RBR levels of rake to increase the clearance at the back.

Cant wait to see Di-Resta and the Hulk on track, I reckon they could have made good progress with this car!