Red Bull RB8 launch – first pictures and video of Red Bull’s 2012 F1 car

2012 F1 cars

The Red Bull RB8, the car the team aim to defend their championship titles with, was revealed today in Jerez.

Its predecessors the RB7 and RB6 won two constructors’ championships and took Sebastian Vettel to a pair of drivers’ titles. Red Bull will be hoping the RB8 can make it three in a row.

There is little change at the team which has been the dominant force in F1 for the last two-and-a-half years. Vettel and Mark Webber form the driving line-up, and Adrian Newey remains at the head of the technical team.

Red Bull RB8 pictures

Red Bull RB8 launch video

2012 F1 cars

Browse all 2012 F1 cars articles

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty images

205 comments on Red Bull RB8 launch – first pictures and video of Red Bull’s 2012 F1 car

1 2 3
  1. ivz (@ivz) said on 6th February 2012, 13:12

Just saw the video on the Red Bull Racing website………..quite cool…..hard to see though.

• ivz (@ivz) said on 6th February 2012, 13:44

I guess Red Bull Racing will never change that colour scheme?

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 6th February 2012, 13:52

I think it works quite well, other than the stupid red endplates. At least they already have red in their livery though, unlike Lotus.

• Joey-Poey (@joey-poey) said on 6th February 2012, 14:03

I’ve always considered it too busy. I never cared for their livery much.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 6th February 2012, 14:28

I don’t think having to spread ‘Red Bull’ over so many front wing parts helps that impression at the front.

• Calum (@calum) said on 6th February 2012, 16:46

I like it, the way it’s busy suits their brand image of being energetic and fun.

Also, I like teams keeping the same brand identity. In years to come we will look back at the chrome cars and the blue ones with yellow noses in various F1 history books and clearly pick out the Mclaren and RedBull, in the same way we look at history books and know a white and red chevron is most likely a Mclaren, and the blue and yellow is a Williams from the 80s and 90s.

Teams that are constantly changing their livery get lost in historic pictures, but those who don’t change build a strong image that sticks in the mind. RedBull are doing that, Mclaren and Ferrari are doing it and Force India are getting into it now with 3 years of Indian Flag livery.

• soundscape (@soundscape) said on 7th February 2012, 1:58

Calum: COTD.

• Joey-Poey (@joey-poey) said on 7th February 2012, 2:26

@Calum I agree on brand identity and teams building that over time. However, I don’t see it as busy in an energetic way. Rather, it comes across like the side of a car in NASCAR, instead. Text and logos attacking your eyes without leading them around in a way that incorporates good composition and the flow of the lines in the car. Energetic can do that without words and brands slapped on there like a bunch of stickers.

• MemroableC said on 6th February 2012, 14:26

I always liked the red endplates on the Renault/lotus whatever it is now.

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 6th February 2012, 17:17

I think their livery is getting worse every year.

2. McG (@mcg) said on 6th February 2012, 13:13

Not nice.

3. dennis (@dennis) said on 6th February 2012, 13:14

Helmut Marko promised the car wouldn’t be as ugly as the Ferrari… He was right, allthough it seems the McLaren will take the beauty crown this year.

4. David-A (@david-a) said on 6th February 2012, 13:14

Not bad for a step nose.

5. Deurmat (@deurmat) said on 6th February 2012, 13:14

In the vid it looks like they have an intake where the nose goes up.

• topdowntoedown (@topdowntoedown) said on 6th February 2012, 14:19

Definitely a slot there… now, let the speculation begin ;)

My money’s on a blown front wing.

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 6th February 2012, 14:29

Don’t know about the blown front wing. I thought that the front wing is the first point of contact on a car anyways so would anyone really need more airflow on the front wing? Hard to say I guess.

My guess would be the intake exits to the sides of the car floor, hence directing the airflow to the diffuser more efficiently.

Maybe I’m just talking cr@p, but now I cannot wait to find out what it really does

• topdowntoedown (@topdowntoedown) said on 6th February 2012, 15:26

The system Merc tested used the hole in the front of the nose and blew out under the bottom of the front wing; it reduced drag at high speed (when you don’t need it, apart from in fast corners).

• dennis (@dennis) said on 6th February 2012, 14:32

That would be an awkwardly strange position for a BFW.

• Jabbah said on 6th February 2012, 14:38

I don’t see the slot. You can see the reflection of the antenna below it so there’s no slot there, and you can see the white of the sealant in a continuous line along the top of the recess and around the base of the antenna.

• Nick.UK (@) said on 6th February 2012, 16:26

I can’t possible see how it could blow the front wing. You would have to redirect the air back FORWARDS under the wing. How can an air intake behing the front wing itself, blow air over it…

• John H (@john-h) said on 6th February 2012, 23:36

Funnily enough @BasCB and I were debating this last week after seeing the Caterham launch:

It has to at least in part cool the driver, not sure what the regs say to be honest… anyone know?

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 6th February 2012, 14:13

@Deurmat Pause the first video at 8:25 and you can see it quite clearly.

• David BR (@david-br) said on 6th February 2012, 14:26

If you’ve got a bump, might as well make use of it. Ferrari must already be worrying that they’ve missed a trick, McLaren wondering if they’ve called it right but probably more confident.

• devon said on 6th February 2012, 14:50

could it be ferrari have something similar blowing onto the wings we saw in the “leaked” pics about a week ago?

• MParallel said on 6th February 2012, 23:18

I think RB (Adrien) has found something nice, as usuall. Expect all cars later in the season to have an intake there.

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 6th February 2012, 14:52

I guess it’s part of what the sidepods are supposed to do. If you have an air intake at the front, the sidepod intakes can be marginally smaller and thus the car becomes narrower/more compact. Anyway, that’s my thought.

• Jabbah said on 6th February 2012, 15:00

There is no slot, its just an effect generated by fading out the lines and the reflection on the paint to the overhang of the top surface. Its just a slight recess for aerodynamic reasons.

• Lemon (@lemon) said on 6th February 2012, 15:15

I have to agree, pause the video at 0:45 and there doesn’t seem to be any slot whatsoever..as you can see light reflecting of the body work where the slot would be!

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 6th February 2012, 15:28

I paused it then and could see what plainly appears to me to be a slot.

• Lemon (@lemon) said on 6th February 2012, 15:52

its hard to say, because it may well just be a shadow created by the overhang…..I suppose time will tell….

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 6th February 2012, 16:29

That there is an overhang surely means there is a slot below it. A stepped nose is not very aerodynamic, but having an overhang that forms a hollow makes no sense at all, so it must be a slot.

• Lemon (@lemon) said on 6th February 2012, 15:21

*off….or as you mentioned elsewhere it could be the sealant..

6. Eddie Irvine (@eddie-irvine) said on 6th February 2012, 13:15

there is an air inlet on the step nose !!! f-duct???

7. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 6th February 2012, 13:15

I just saw a close shot from the nose bulk. it looks rather interesting!

Other than that, it’s just another Red Bull… by the looks of it, at least. I wonder what Newey put under it…!

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 6th February 2012, 14:08

Yes. The livery is getting very tired (it’s very uninteresting in my opinion) and the red endplates make it look awful. Not as bad as the red Sky bargeboards we’ve seen in Brazil for the last few years, though.

And I actually can’t notice much difference to last year’s car in terms of design! The nose is stepped (obviously), but what else has changed? Not much by the looks of it.

• dennis (@dennis) said on 6th February 2012, 14:20

@damonsmedley
        The question is what are they supposed to change. The exhaust position will determine how the sidepods eventually will look. But with the rear end being supposed to be as tiny as possible there’s little room for huge changes.

The livery is alright, but nothing exciting. I agree that they might wanna try something new already, but rather this, then an actual Red Bull can design.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 6th February 2012, 16:01

I just think it would be nice if they repositioned everything. It needs redoing, and if they’re the team colours, they shouldn’t have to change them, but maybe make the bull a bit bigger and have him covering more of the car, and then adjust the positioning of the other patterns. It could do with updating in my opinion.

8. weebtt said on 6th February 2012, 13:15

why is mclaren’s nose odd looking?

9. Arhn (@arhn) said on 6th February 2012, 13:18

That’s ugly… But not as ugly as the Ferrari nose.

Is it me or Webber’s helmet seems quite small on the picture ? Pretty low too…

10. McGregski (@mcgregski) said on 6th February 2012, 13:19

This isn’t a reveal… it’s a tease! How are we supposed to see anything in that, their nose solution is interesting… I can’t wait until testing to see these properly
    Do we know if there are any online video feeds from the testing this year?

11. matt90 (@matt90) said on 6th February 2012, 13:19

Intriguing nose/bulkhead opening.

12. dutch in sweden (@dutch-in-sweden) said on 6th February 2012, 13:19

Wonder what Newey did with that step nose. This is new, nothing like what we have seen. Wonder what Mclaren is thinking right now, the odd one out or just very clever.

• Boomerang said on 6th February 2012, 14:42

Mr. Newey was thinking about optimising the flow towards the airbox, because the nose shape plays a significant role in feeding the air to the engine. Obviously he is trying to utilise the nose slope to achieve good flow further towards the engine air intake…

13. McG (@mcg) said on 6th February 2012, 13:21

At least it looks like the bump on the nose is functional. looks like there is a small slit. Best looking bump nose so far.

14. Funkyf1 (@funkyf1) said on 6th February 2012, 13:21

Newey Flash!!! You are not copying me this year.

15. Tom (@tomforpresident) said on 6th February 2012, 13:21

if it aint broke… punch it in the nose!

16. Toro Loco (@toro-loco) said on 6th February 2012, 13:22

As always Newey has pushed the boundaries and has found an alternative way to make use of the step nose. Very interesting!

17. bag0 (@bag0) said on 6th February 2012, 13:24

On that inlet/duct/anything at the step of the nose:

Thats just a new hole that Newey created.

I cant belive it really, every so called innovation of Newey is a new hole in a car. A yesterday hole in the floor, now a hole in the nose. Last year at Abu Dhabi they raced another Newey design on Vettels car: a hole in the tyre.

Apart from that I couldn’t see mutch, just flashy lights:D

18. Kjuna said on 6th February 2012, 13:25

Reatarded heartbeat…

19. Lotus49 (@lotus49) said on 6th February 2012, 13:26

Are these car makers ashamed of their products?
    Why are they filmed in the dark?
    Will they only race with the lights off.
    Did anyone else notice that the launch of the world champions car was not on ‘Sky Sports News?

• Solo (@solo) said on 6th February 2012, 19:23

With those noses they probably are. Hmm..i guess that explains why Mclaren made a presentation and had nice lighting in the room. Nothing to be ashamed about.

20. shona said on 6th February 2012, 13:27

hard to tell from the video but I quite like it, definately the nicest out of the step noses

1 2 3