Picture: Mercedes W03 spied at Silverstone

2012 F1 cars

Mercedes W03, Silverstone, 2012

Mercedes W03, Silverstone, 2012

The Mercedes W03 broke cover at Silverstone yesterday as the team put the car through a 100km shakedown test.

The images above and below of Michael Schumacher driving the car were taken and sent in by a reader.

It shows Mercedes have adopted an aggressive stepped nose on the W03.

Mercedes have also released footage of Nico Rosberg driving the car including helmet camera footage:

Here is a video shot of the car testing yesterday:

Mercedes W03, Silverstone, 2012

Mercedes W03, Silverstone, 2012

2012 F1 cars

Browse all 2012 F1 cars articles

Image ?? Roy Powell

116 comments on Picture: Mercedes W03 spied at Silverstone

1 2 3 4
  1. Pamphlet (@pamphlet) said on 17th February 2012, 9:40

Woah, that’s a nasty step.

2. iAbuser (@iabuser) said on 17th February 2012, 9:43

I think Ferrari just lost the honour of worst stepped nose?

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 17th February 2012, 9:55

I don’t think so. Ferrari have the worst stepped nose followed by Red Bull, in my opinion.

• Bobdredds (@bobdredds) said on 17th February 2012, 10:18

I hope it turns out to be the best stepped nose followed by all the rest.:)

• Harry Palmer said on 17th February 2012, 10:28

You and me both… like the Mclaren’s absence of a step, the severity of that step could either be a stroke of genius or a complete disaster!

• Andy Redden (@andyredden-on-f1) said on 17th February 2012, 11:45

Really doubt the stepped nose alone will make that big of a difference. Mclaren’s nose last year was pretty low, Red Bull’s was high, same this year just McLaren’s design doesn’t need the step.

• TheBrav3 said on 17th February 2012, 12:25

The only difference bettween this and the ferrari nose is the ferrari nose is red…

• TheBrav3 said on 17th February 2012, 12:39

@Harry@everyone whose obsessed with noses

The nose is going to be so inconsequential this year that all the teams are probably ecstatic. All the worlds internet and media are having a frenzy about the ugliest and best looking noses rather than talking about analysing and photographing the really clever bits.

• @TheBrav3

You can stay. :D

It’s a pity that at the first race all the commentators will talk about are the noses.

• Nick F said on 17th February 2012, 20:09

Are we all sure the stepped and non stepped noses are really the big area of performance differentiation in 2012. I’m not.

They are the most striking thing about the cars…but so what? When the season starts and one car leads the rest we are going to be talking about the magic trick going on on the underside or at the back of that car and not about the noses.

• UKFan (@) said on 17th February 2012, 17:24

Thats the most aggressive step but it looks better than the Ferrari and the Red bulls, no doubt.

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 17th February 2012, 21:38

@ibuser I think they’re pretty much on a par. Looks forced unlike the Lotus one.

• From the side, it’s hard to tell. I actually like it.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 18th February 2012, 12:44

I think the centre has a more curved transition, like Force India for example. And the Ferrari is just ugly for the abrupt step, it’s because of the nose being short, stubby, flat, square and sharp. The actual nose of the Mercedes has some character at least (although I don’t like the swept back front wing supports combined with a pointy nose).

• shamal said on 18th February 2012, 17:33

well i like force india’s stepped nose……design…

3. noomie (@noomie) said on 17th February 2012, 9:44

Wow, that’s quite a ‘stepped’ nose…

4. MahavirShah (@mahavirshah) said on 17th February 2012, 9:46

The nose looks like a weapon that could be used on those robot wars shows. Quite sharp. Looks quite similar to the Ferrari nose.

5. I’m starting to think Ferrari and Merc maybe onto something here and I’m actually fully supporting their designs. I think the Merc is going to come out super-competitive!!! Can’t wait!!!

• Bobdredds (@bobdredds) said on 17th February 2012, 10:14

Agreed. I think the new look is modern and aggressive and I like it. I dont understand the reaction to them other than normal personal preferences. It makes the previous cars look old and out of date IMO. There have been far worse over the years.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 17th February 2012, 17:41

Personally I don’t like the look but I do know this…once we’ve seen a few races the cars of last year will be long forgotten and today’s cars will look more ‘normal’. Happens every year. Of course, having the Mac out there with a nose like last year’s might muddy that concept, but overall it seems like any time you look back at previous cars they look dated.

• Bobdredds (@bobdredds) said on 18th February 2012, 16:00

I remember when Ferrari introduced the white livery for vodafone, I reacted against it as I thought it interfered with the glorious rosso corsa but when they changed it back I missed the white. Go figure.:) Winning cars always end up being beautiful.

6. wayne (@waynedru78) said on 17th February 2012, 9:55

apart from the nose thats pretty much what tested at jerez bodywork wise underneath differant matter no surprizes really can it win ?

• TheBrav3 said on 17th February 2012, 12:54

Not at all the photos aren’t great but you can make out much smaller side pods. It’s hard to tell how undercut they are and how tightly packaged the rear end is with out getting a closer shot or one from above and the back. I think however it’s safe to say given the size of the side pods they will have a similar rear end to all the other teams. Looks like they have also gone for the lotus/mclaren etc etc gubbins filling in the region between the front of the side pods and the back of the front wheels/suspension underneath the front of the safety cell/step nose. Hard to tell if the front and rear wings are new though if they are not there will be new one by australia. The struts connecting the front wing to the nose are also new.

• TheBrav3 said on 17th February 2012, 13:00

I’m not Criticising the reader who sent in the photos by the way I wouldn’t expect $5000 camera quality photos from any one but a professional snapper. I and i’m sure everyone reading this website is very thankfull for them!

7. damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 17th February 2012, 9:57

The sidepods look lower, but apart from that and the nose, I can’t notice any obvious differences to the W02.

8. bearforce1 said on 17th February 2012, 10:02

These step nose F1 cars are what 1970s flared pants were to fashion.

The The RedBull early on and Mercedes is late 1970s. Yuk. I reckon we will be poking gentle fun at these for cars for years decades to come.

9. JK (@justingt5) said on 17th February 2012, 10:03

The nose looks much flatter top and bottom than just about everyone elses so far, not a pretty looking thing and surely the largest most prominent step on the nose.

Also did they have the elongated vertical planes on the front wing of last years car or is that new, looks similar to the ferrari in that respect.

10. Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 17th February 2012, 10:15

This is what we would get If Megatron was to be transforming into a race car.

11. PieLighter (@pielighter) said on 17th February 2012, 10:15

Wow, that’s a step and a half there. :O
    I bet I’m the only one of the opinion that it actually looks OK.

12. The noses on these cars appear to be very dangerous. In a crash, all the force is concentrated a very small area at the point of impact.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 17th February 2012, 12:55

But it is a point of impact that is specifically designed to disintegrate and scatter to absorb as much energy as possible, so that the bulkhead behind it (ie. behind the step) stays intact.

I’d say, since all teams will try to have as little weight in it as possible/needed, there will be little difference between last years, the McLaren, and others’ noses this year in how dangerous they are in a hit with a car.

Possibly the McLaren is safer in a side collision near the cockpit/driver’s head, due to being a bit lower, but not much else.

• Max Mosley said on 17th February 2012, 12:55

If only an educated and intelligent man like you worked in Formula 1. We would’ve had no fatalities in F1 for a long long time.

• Bobdredds (@bobdredds) said on 18th February 2012, 16:12

Surely the only way to make motorsport truly safe is to ban it. If you propel an object of that weight at that speed it can never be totally safe. The modern cars are as safe as can be IMHO and if there is a problem with the new nose surely the finger has to be pointed at the rulemakers. As long as aero is king in F1 this is what will be produced. I agree with Ferrari that aero needs to be curtailed in favour of mechanical grip, that seems to be a better direction.

• cduk_mugello (@cduk_mugello) said on 17th February 2012, 20:37

Very good point, I didn’t think about it like that until now.

• You do know the entire point of the stepped nose was to lower the nose for safety reasons….

13. SouthPawRacer (@southpawracer) said on 17th February 2012, 10:18

Is that a Mclaren-2011-styled airbox I see…?

14. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 17th February 2012, 10:43

From his picture we cannot really tell if there’s a ‘v’ shape in the nose or if it’s like the F12012 just yet.

It’s very much like the W02, which I don’t have a problem with, as that was the most beautiful 2011 car in my opinion. Cannot wait to see how quick it is, sure hope it is!

15. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 17th February 2012, 11:03

Updated the story with a second image.

1 2 3 4