Ecclestone tips Hamilton to leave McLaren and wants Schumacher at Red Bull

F1 Fanatic round-up

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, Barcelona, 2012

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, Barcelona, 2012

In the round-up: Bernie Ecclestone suggests Lewis Hamilton could leave McLaren and says he’d like to see Michael Schumacher win again.

F1 links

Ecclestone: Hamilton may leave McLaren (Daily Telegraph)

“I think if he doesn’t perform this year he’ll be looking maybe to move on, and the team may also be looking for him to move on.”

“I’d like to see him in a good car”: F1 supremo Ecclestone wants Schumacher in a Red Bull (Daily Mirror)

“It would be nice if Michael won a race wouldn’t it. I’d like to see him in a good car. I’d like to see him in the second Red Bull.”

Bahrain Grand Prix will go ahead as planned, says Bernie Ecclestone (The Guardian)

“Nobody is saying we’re not going or we don’t want to go or anything. Everybody is quite positive. I’ve told all the teams there’s no problem at all. I’m absolutely 100% sure we’ll go there and there will be no problem.”

FIA to close off ECU loophole (Autosport)

“An updated version of the software for F1′s Standard ECU – which controls the engine maps – will be released before the season-opening Australian Grand Prix.”

Tata Communications seeks brand boost via F1 (Reuters India)

“Tata Communications will use its undersea cable and its IT networks to transmit data and live video from the 20 Grand Prix locations as the circuit tours the globe. It will also host the Formula1.com website in a multi-year deal for which financial terms were not disclosed.”

Q&A with Toro Rosso?s Jean-Eric Vergne (F1)

“It would be fantastic if one day somebody would call me the next Sebastian Vettel. For me he?s the best driver on the grid right now. But then again I don?t want to be anybody else – I want to be myself: a driver who is winning races. I don?t need anybody to tell me to win as I am the first one who wants that.”

Ferrari, RBR change final test plans (Yahoo)

“Red Bull Racing and Ferrari have changed their testing plans for next month and will now run at Barcelona from March 2-5.”

Prost is new Renault ambassador (Joe Saward)

Alain Prost has been named as Renault?s new international ambassador.”

Japanese mother builds Red Bull RB8 replica for four-year old son (Japanese)

Brilliant pictures of a model RB8 built out of cardboard – right down to the 2012-style nose! Thanks to Journeyer for the tip.

Follow F1 news as it breaks using the F1 Fanatic live Twitter app.

Comment of the day

Amid optimism over McLaren’s potential this year, Daniel Thomas wonders what the consequences might be for Lewis Hamilton versus Jenson Button round three:

Reading that article on Hamilton and Button?s optimism is good news for McLaren fans.

But if their car is quick enough to win from the start this could be the year their sweet relationship begins to sour.

Tabloid-ish, sure, but an exciting prospect nonetheless.
Daniel Thomas

From the forum

Happy birthday!

No F1 Fanatic birthdays today. If you want a birthday shout-out tell us when yours is by emailling me, using Twitter or adding to the list here.

On this day in F1

Happy birthday to Pedro de la Rosa who is 41 today, and four-times champion Alain Prost who celebrates his 57th birthday.

Image ?? Jamey Price/F1 Fanatic

105 comments on Ecclestone tips Hamilton to leave McLaren and wants Schumacher at Red Bull

1. Franton said on 24th February 2012, 0:02

Hrm this may be a little cruel of me, but i’m tipping Bernie to be fully senile by the 2014 season.

• He should have been sectioned the moment he started talking about sprinklers being used in f1 races!

I’m really curious about redbull changing their testing schedule. If teams are basically having private tests to hide developments, then surely all of these “shadow games” will soon be clamped down on.

I was also intrigued by JB’s comment on how the upcoming mclaren upgrade “won’t be straight-forward” and “isn’t just about bolting downforce on the car” *RAISED EYEBROW*

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 24th February 2012, 5:26

It is cruel of you. The article quoted was published by The Daily Mirror, and The Daily Mirror is well-known for making things up.

• Franton said on 24th February 2012, 8:48

Actually I read it elsewhere, not that it changes much.

Bernie still makes multi millions per year and is more than capable of suing them into the ground which is why I find the reporting of his utterances tends to be quite accurate.

Doesn’t change the fact it’s a monumentally naff idea and it’s the latest in a long stream of them.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 24th February 2012, 8:51

@prisoner-monkeys Ecclestone was speaking at a press conference, the quotes were widely reported.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 24th February 2012, 9:25

Nevertheless, it’s unnecessary and cruel to accuse Bernie of being senile simply because you do not agree with him. I disagree with a lot of people. It doesn’t mean that I go around calling them various names simply because they disagree with me.

Besides, looking at Bernie’s comments, what is there to suggest that his brains are steadily turning to mush? He said that if Hamilton does not perform this year, then it may be in both Hamilton’s and McLaren’s interests to part ways. I’d expect that of any team and driver experiencing such difficulties. It sounds perfectly rational to me. He then says that he would like to see Schumacher in a Red Bull – putting the most successful driver of all time in the same car and the same team as the new German wunderkid. It might be unrealistic, but it would be incredibly interesting to watch. And as for his comments on Bahrain, he is simply repeating what other people have told him about their stance on the subject.

So, where is this supposed selinity?

• Alex Bkk (@alex-bkk) said on 24th February 2012, 11:07

Errmmm… did you mean senility? You’re not that old are you?

• Franton said on 24th February 2012, 17:08

Because Bernie twenty years ago would never have uttered such inane drivel?

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 24th February 2012, 22:36

You think it’s inane – but only because you disagree with it. You can’t just accuse someone of having dementia because you don’t like what they say. That’s what the Soviets did; if ever someone said something they didn’t like, the Kremlin would have them declared legally insane and shipped them off to an asylum to discredit them, break them down physically and mentally, and isolate them from the rest of society so that their dissenting ideas could not spread.

If you have an issue with what Bernie says, then at least take the time to explain why you think he is wrong, rather than just accuse him of losing his mind and expecting everyone to agree with you.

• Oh here he goes..

Because even though PM was wrong for discrediting the source, he can’t admit that and has to deflect by attacking what was obviously written in humour.

/yawn

• JCost (@jcost) said on 24th February 2012, 7:19

Cruel? I’d say you’re being optimist…

• Mike the bike Schumacher (@mike-the-bike-schumacher) said on 24th February 2012, 19:27

Like Schumacher, Bernie is past his prime, but at their age it is quite incredible how they can still measure up to the best.
      Here’s to them!

• jpowell (@jpowell) said on 25th February 2012, 19:40

I personally would like to see Mercedes dump Schumacher and Rosberg, for me the most deserving of a drive would be Alain and Sir Jackie they would lend gravitas to the team perhaps K.Rosberg could be test driver. If the old fella wants Schumi to win so much he should make F1 for over 40′s only. But No! that would let Rubens back in…. our hero certainly wouldn’t want that.

• mighty_mouse said on 26th February 2012, 12:19

I think he (bernie) try to deliver a messagge that sebastian vettel is not a real champion. he is champion just simply because he got dominant car, thats all. LOL. Like what much people said, if kubica drive for red bull 2010-2011 he would be world champion too. and not to forgot alonso too. F1 driver are all proffesional, hard to say who is good and who is not so good. Same comment to jensen button in 2009 season where most people describes he not really a champion, he just got a dominant Brawn car.

2. Harry Palmer (@harry-palmer) said on 24th February 2012, 0:25

Nurse!

3. Scalextric (@scalextric) said on 24th February 2012, 0:31

A cardboard RB8? Luxury. In my day we had a cardboard box. And we was happy. Tell that to kids nowadays? Won’t believe a word.

Maybe Micheal Schumacher has a chance of getting in the second cardboard RB8.

4. Schumacher is past it. Vettel would run rings around him in the Red Bull.
    Also Lewis should stay at McLaren

5. Cornflakes (@cornflakes) said on 24th February 2012, 0:36

Good round-up today! I’d like to see Shumi in an RB to find out whether he is still all-there, but can’t see it happening. And anyway there are plenty of younger drivers that now are better (just look at Rosberg).

Just a thought – imagine if they wrote a glitch into the ECU software – if its debuting at the opening there wouldnt be much testing on it (within teams anyway). Imagine if there was a glitch that occured after a race start- every single car would break down simultaneously!!

That cardboard RB is unbelievable. It’s almost scary – all for a four year old! I want one…

• TimG (@timg) said on 24th February 2012, 9:14

It’s almost scary – all for a four year old! I want one…

What, a four year old? They’re not as much fun as they look.

• Aussie Fan said on 25th February 2012, 3:15

Rosberg looked to me like he was trying to outscore schumacher every race for the past 2 years. hat’s wrong with this you ask? Well, in doing so, he chose to only try to make himself look good compared to his teammate, rather than MAXIMISING THE PERFORMANCE OF THE CAR each race.

The amount of times I saw Rosberg sacrifice race pace just to out qualify his teammate on Saturday (no points) was ridiculous. Cancel out Schumacher’s mechanical retirements & the fact that he kept running into petrov (& vice versa) & MS actuially outsocred ROS last season, & whilst focusing on race pace in the car rather than Saturday no points glory runs that the media loves to focus on so much too!

• Aussie Fan said on 25th February 2012, 3:16

oops typos hahaha hopefully you get the point.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 27th February 2012, 13:01

Wow…so many things wrong with that comment, imho Aussie Fan…I think you are making a huge assumption when you suggest he was ONLY trying to make himself look good vs. his teammate….I thought the idea of qualifying was to get yourself as high up on the grid as possible.

I find it quite hard to imagine NR doing something different on Saturdays that would have seen him improve on Sundays. Go slower on Saturdays how, and to what end? In hopes that the pace is there on Sunday? When it’s already hard enough keeping up with the top 3 teams? I think you are looking only at the two drivers at Mercedes and I would like you to tell me what MS did to compete against the top 3 teams by qualifying so poorly?

As if MS was happy with his Saturday performances. As if he won’t be trying to improve on that this year.

MS was only lucky that Merc was a distant 4th place team with Renault a distant 5th. That way, in spite of his poor quali efforts NR with his better starting spots couldn’t do much with the top 3 cars and MS could eventually catch up and not be bothered by other cars because everyone else starting with Renault was a distant 5th in the WCC.

How convenient of you to cancel out MS’s mechanical issues when NR wasn’t immune to that, or to having to conserve fuel, at least once to MS’s benefit. How convenient to cancel out MS’s bad driving that saw him lose a front wing on more than one occasion that was his fault and that was borne from starting too far back in the grid and having to play with lesser cars and drivers while NR was trying to play with the big boys.

I think you will find that last year was a forgiving one for MS and his poor quali performances, and assuming the whole field will be closer MS will not be able to make himself look as good if he continues to quali so badly.

6. Hare (@hare) said on 24th February 2012, 0:50

I think, but I’m not sure, that Bernie is the owner of the world’s biggest wooden spoon!

.. he sure does like stirring.

7. Wonderduck (@wonderduck) said on 24th February 2012, 1:04

Bernie said what? Let me see that… (muttering: schumi to red bull, hamilton out of mclaren) …well, okay. Won’t ever happen, but okay. What else was there? (muttering again: Bahrain is a go)

*facewing*

8. mattg21 (@mattg21) said on 24th February 2012, 1:57

Hamilton = clearly had the qualifying pace to keep up with his fellow team mate Button.

Schumi = ‘Past it’. However, I also wouldn’t mind seeing him get a podium or even a win…I’m not a Schumi fan but it would be a great watch.

Bahrain = Give up on trying to host a race there for at least two years….tensions are tight there, as mentioned by various journalists.

9. justhuman (@justhuman) said on 24th February 2012, 2:02

Shut up Bernie, just shut up.

10. schooner (@schooner) said on 24th February 2012, 2:26

RBR should look into hiring the cardboard car lady. She got her version of the RB8 out pretty quickly! I understand that it will have some blanket updates come Melbourne.

11. sam3110 (@sam3110) said on 24th February 2012, 2:37

I love how people take BE comments so seriously, he is asked a leading question by a journalist, something like ‘so many people are tipping Mercedes to have a much stronger season this time around, how much would you like to see Schumacher winning races again?’ and all Bernie has said is yes it would be good to see him win but he needs a good car, no-one knows if the Mercedes is good yet but as Red Bull seem so dominant, he would probably win in that.

Immediately people go crazy about how it would never happen and how Vettel is so much better and how senile Bernie is.

Journalism is all about asking the questions in the right way to get the answer you want, and therefore this should not be taken so seriously!

Anyway, if Bernie, the teams and the drivers are happy for Bahrain to go ahead, then so be it. Whether you agree that things have got better or you think Bahrain shouldn’t host, it doesn’t matter. They have a contract, and only in extreme cases will the race be cancelled. From what I have seen the area is nowhere near as tense and disrupted as last year

• Mike (@mike) said on 24th February 2012, 3:35

I agree.

Although with Bahrain I’d point out that there is a significantly stronger grip on the population than this time last year.

• Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 24th February 2012, 5:24

I also agree. I bet Bernie would laugh himself silly over the tizz people get into over his comments, if he actually cared that is! As for Bahrain, like it or not (I haven’t followed the situation this year), it’ll probably happen.

• @sam3110 BE might just be having a laugh when he says certain things, but ppl take his sommenta seriously because he’s been serious about some ridiculous notions on many an occasion. The way that he kept on harping on about sprinklers for instance, that was senility personified. If not he had me believing he wanted it (probably because he didn’t finish his comment with an emoticon ;-) )

• Katz, Tim said on 24th February 2012, 9:08

Yep. And we ought to remember that Bernie has a vested interest in driver changes as well as Schumi winning again as both will create press column inches and TV minutes which is what F1 thrives on (and Bernie makes money on).
      I hate the little piece of excreta who corrupted F1 from a technical sport into a stupid media circus where rumour and gossip have taken precedence over racing.

12. Gibo (@gibo) said on 24th February 2012, 3:20

People can say whatever they want about Bernie but he sure doesn’t mind throwing out an opinion no matter how controversial it is. As fans we are not going to be as objective or as willing to accept changes to our favourite team or drivers. At least with Bernie we are forced to open our mind a bit even if it sounds just utter nonsense. So, about Schumi wearing a blue shirt, not sure he would look good in the colour or that Red Bull as a team would be ready for that but one can imagine the possibilities

13. Jon E said on 24th February 2012, 3:36

Cardboard box lady has already turned down a job offer to head HRT’s fabrication operation stating that she does not want to take a step back in her career.

14. Joey-Poey (@joey-poey) said on 24th February 2012, 4:24

Can we just replace any future Bernie quotes with “This just in! Ecclestone spouts eye-catching headline material and reaps benefits through free publicity” ?

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 24th February 2012, 7:32

“Bernie’s done it again” default headline?

• In fact, for him, it’s always a win-win situation:

1. Free publicity, controversy, getting F1 talked about etc.

2. Acting senile creates an element of unpredictability about him.

Both are very useful to a smooth operator like him, and with all the money + power he’s got, he doesn’t give a damn about being laughed at. (You wouldn’t, either, in his place.)

• Is he acting Senile??

I’d like to see what happens with Lewis in another team and Schumacher at Red Bull as well.

I’m not saying they are good ideas, but they are interesting ideas.

• Joey-Poey (@joey-poey) said on 24th February 2012, 14:22

I don’t think he’s acting senile, he’s simply saying things he knows will get more buzz going. It’s his prerogative because it does help keep people talking about F1, but it’s kinda like him playing to the tabloid-y aspect of the media. Bit of a cheap shot. Especially for a sport that prides itself on it’s class. He’s acting more like a gossipy housewife than a senile old man if you ask me.

15. sato113 (@sato113) said on 24th February 2012, 5:16

i’m sorry but bernie is so out of touch with the sport. yeah hes good at business but he’s a comlete foool when facing current issures. he knows jaack sit about anything. get lost,.. night night