Brawn will wait and see on Schumacher contract extension

F1 Fanatic round-up

Michael Schumacher, Mercedes, Barcelona, 2012

Michael Schumacher, Mercedes, Barcelona, 2012

In the round-up: Ross Brawn denies claims Michael Schumacher is about to be offered a contract extension.

F1 links

Brawn denies Schumi talks (Sky)

“We’ll see what happens this year then talk about it. I hope it goes well because that means we’ll be having good results and I think we’d both be happy to continue.”

Motivation never a problem – Kimi (ESPN)

“People always talk about motivation, but the people who write it probably don’t even know me. It’s not a lack of motivation if your car is **** and even if you drive your best and still can’t get a good result. My feeling is that I drove one of my best years in my last year for Ferrari. I’ve never had a problem with motivation.”

Chandhok back in F3 (Formula Three)

Karun Chandhok returned to his roots, and his old British Formula 3 team, at Silverstone when he shook down the T-Sport team?s latest F3 chassis. The Indian former F1 pilot took to the track at the wheel of the squad?s National Class Dallara which will be raced this season by Australian rookie Spike Goddard.”

‘Lewis Hamilton has to refocus and stop wasting so many opportunities’: Martin Brundle talks cars, terrifying crashes and F1 (Daily Mail)

“If you?re going to beat Sebastian Vettel in that Red Bull, you?d better be getting up very early in the morning, and thinking about it all day every day. And I don?t think he has been. Lewis has raw speed and determination, but I think he?s going through a difficult time. He said, ‘If I only win one championship it would suck’ and he?s right.”

Follow F1 news as it breaks using the F1 Fanatic live Twitter app.

Comment of the day

Alianora la Canta laments the shortage of good books on top F1 drivers:

I think it reflects the different priorities of publishers compared to even ten years ago (when even mid-grid drivers could expect someone like Christopher Hilton to write a few words in book form about them).

Nowadays only sure-fire “winners” get backed by the big publishing houses, which tends to mean heroes from the same country as the publishing house in question, plus translated versions of books that worked elsewhere. It?s no coincidence that only three of the six F1 champions have a book written about them in English.
Alianora la Canta

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Hedgey, Kolon and Verstappen!

On this day in F1

Sky’s F1 coverage in the UK has attracted much attention. But it’s not the first time the broadcaster has been involved with the sport.

Today in 2002 the Sky Digital channel announced its coverage team for its F1 coverage. Among them was Ben Edwards, who has joined the BBC as commentator this year in place of Martin Brundle, who has gone to Sky.

Former F1 drivers John Watson and Perry McCarthy joined Peter Windsor and Matthew Lorenzo in Sky’s 2002 team.

Image ?? Jamey Price/F1 Fanatic

76 comments on Brawn will wait and see on Schumacher contract extension

1. Roald (@roald) said on 27th February 2012, 0:12

I wonder though, when Schumacher decides to quit, will we see him walking around the paddock in Mercedes or Ferrari gear?

2. Matty No 2 (@mattynotwo) said on 27th February 2012, 0:14

‘Brawn denies Schumi talks’

Im positive Iv’e seen Schumi talk.

3. F1Yankee (@f1yankee) said on 27th February 2012, 0:23

motivation was a poor excuse for stagnant car races, until the shocking events (non-event?) in abby dabby 2010. thankfully, that has been put to rest and the sport is trying to make things more dynamic.

whether or not kimi’s final year at ferrari was 1 of his best, it certainly added to his….mystique?

• Kimi pushed that dog of a car in 2009 way beyond what most drivers would be able to manage. People think that just because he likes to eat icecream and is not one to enjoy interviews that he is not motivated. He for sure is different, but was born to drive fast!

4. schooner (@schooner) said on 27th February 2012, 1:38

I have no way of knowing what’s up with Schumacher, but I’d have to think that he’s having a good time. He’s getting paid very well to do what he loves best, and is still driving at a high level. People talk about his legacy losing some of its luster as he carries on without winning races. I don’t buy it, and I get the feeling that he isn’t concerned as much with his statistical percentages declining as he is with playing a large part within a top notch team, and having a blast while he’s at it. I remember clearly watching his joy after he won his first F1 race at Spa, and it would be great to see that big smile of his again on the podium this year … or next.

• @schooner I like this comment.

It always bothers me when people talk about what shame it is that [insert name of elite champion competitor of your choice here] is “ruining his legacy/stats” or some such thing — as though his legacy belongs to anyone but him. It’s his to preserve in whatever way he wants. If what he wants is to be competing — and, as you say, playing a large part in a team, as a driver — and there’s a team that wants him there to do it, I just don’t see why people have such an issue with it.

Of course, the “give the young drivers a chance instead” argument is a different matter. In response to that, I’d say, “Blame Ross Brawn and Mercedes, not Michael Schumacher.”

• well said, I’m a huge MS fan. How I wish he get a podium this year. Perhaps a win! :)

• macca77 said on 27th February 2012, 17:31

+1. My opinion about the “give young drivers a chance” argument is that he is not taking any seat from new drivers because new guys don’t start at top teams, IMO every new young talent that comes to the sport SHOULD do it in the low tier teams, all the world champions competing today but the two British started their careers on the bottom 3 teams of their respective grid (Button started with Williams in 2000, but at the end of his first season went to Bennetton and the next year he was struggling with a dog of a car), so let’s say his seat belongs to a not too young driver that is going “up the grid”, but IMHO any of the current drivers that are not in the big budget teams of today deserves more the Merc seat than the Schum.

• bearforce1 said on 27th February 2012, 5:05

Same. I think Schumi is just loving the drive probably more so now than ever. He seems way more personable to these days. I want him to stay around as long as he likes, he is great for the sport. He even excites those that dislike him.

• well said

5. Calum (@calum) said on 27th February 2012, 1:57

Sign on for one more year then go to LeMan with Porsche!

6. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 27th February 2012, 2:10

I hope Schumacher stay’s in F1 just for one more year,just for me.

• cjpdk (@cjpdk) said on 27th February 2012, 21:08

I wouldn’t mind if Schumacher stayed in F1 until the end of time – although he’d probably become an also-ran by that point.

In response to those who say “he’s ruining his legacy” – he already has a legacy. 7 champinships, 91 victories, holding almost every record – none of those are going to disappear no matter how long he remains. Although “races won %” will take a hit, but that was one of the few records he didn’t already hold.

7. PieLighter (@pielighter) said on 27th February 2012, 6:07

If Schumacher wins a race this year, or even just a podium, that will be something special to watch. :D

8. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 27th February 2012, 8:28

As much as I admire Schumacher, he should only stay if he’s performing, but that goes for any driver really. I still think Di Resta is the man who will fill his shoes and I guess more time at Force India gives him time to further hone his skills.

9. BasCB (@bascb) said on 27th February 2012, 8:38

Happy Birthday to you guys Hedgey, Kolon and van harte gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag to @Verstappen!

10. smifaye (@smifaye) said on 27th February 2012, 8:47

I have a lot of time for Martin Brundle. He doesn’t conform and will always speak his mind. He had been let down by the BBC with the Sky deal and his first tweet after hearing the news really showed how he felt. It is refreshing in this day and age to have people in the media world actually speak their mind rather than sit on the fence.

I hope he continues to commentate for a long time to come.

11. SempreGilles (@sempregilles) said on 27th February 2012, 8:57

It’s a difficult case Schumi is providing us. I don’t think he’s the driver he used to be, which is atleast part of why he was hired. But he is still a solid driver that can certainly win races (and challenge for the championship) if given the car to do so. Whether he stays or not is probably down to him, as long as he feels like this too he will stay, and Mercedes will have no reason to replace him.

12. John H (@john-h) said on 27th February 2012, 9:02

Many, including myself have previously said what a mistake Schumi made in coming back to F1 and tarnishing is reputation, but actually think I was wrong now.

He’s still the 7 times world champion but in addition now he’s actually becoming rather likeable in his old age which will do him no harm at all. I think on reflection, so long as he gets a podium next season it was probably a good decision to come back.

13. Funkyf1 (@funkyf1) said on 27th February 2012, 9:29

I think Kimi should get COTD and an icecream for his efforts !

14. BenH (@benh) said on 27th February 2012, 9:51

COTD tomorrow anyone? :P

15. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 27th February 2012, 12:06

Until Schumacher came back, I didn’t really like him. But in this new Mercedes incarnation I really do. He’s actually very down to earth, approachable and calm, and if you ask me, he’s still right up there and has my full support.

Obviously there are a few drivers who have had the 3 years experience whilst he’s been out of it, so they’ve had a real head start as the sport has changed a lot. I think that as soon as the car is good, he’ll get one sniff of victory and that’ll be enough to bring out his full ability once again.

• James (@jamesf1) said on 27th February 2012, 12:56

I wonder how many fans he has won over since he came back? Now we’re heading into his third season of his return, more and more people are saying how much they’re enjoying him in the sport than before. He seems to be less of a villan than how people portrayed him before.

• “He seems to be less of a villan than how people portrayed him before.”
        Perhaps you should wrote “some people” because not all see him as a villain as he got a lot of fan base all over the world and was the most popular and i remember vote as the most popular driver on this site in 2010 later i don’t know. And i think for the people who don’t follow F1 closely, Schumacher name will come out first when mention about F1 i mean not just in UK but worldwide. In the future maybe Vettel name will match him just maybe.

• xxiinophobia (@xxiinophobia) said on 27th February 2012, 23:46

@jamesf1 I’ve hated Schumacher since Australia 1994, but since he came back I’ve started wanting him to do well. Even now I’m hoping he gets a podium or even a race win. I was honestly elated when he was running in podium position in Canada last year, and was so disappointed when DRS ruined it for him. I really would have loved to see him up there again.

I’m not ready to call myself a Schumacher fan just yet, but that may change over the course of this season, and if it did, I wouldn’t be surprised.

• scribbler (@scribbler) said on 28th February 2012, 12:54

Im in the same boat. Although he does keep giving me the odd hint of why i hated him so much remember the move on Barichelo where he almost put him in the wall that was almost unforgivable and even so i find my self supporting the underdog. Seams an odd statement to class MS as an underdog but i don’t think the merc has suited him so far and his competitors are a much higher calibre so due to his age he is the underdog atm and i would love to see the smile on his face as he lifts a trophy on the podium. I think he would get a bigger round of applause than the winner. You might even see a little tear in the robots eye lol.