Lotus technical director James Allison says he is confident the team has solved its chassis problems.
The team was forced to abandon its testing at the Circuit de Catalunya last week after discovering a fault with its second E20 chassis.
Allison said: “We arrived in Barcelona with a brand new chassis, the E20-02. We completed installation laps on Tuesday morning then Romain [Grosjean] left the pits for his first run of the day.
“As soon as he touched the brakes before turn one on his first flying lap, he felt that something was wrong. He told us on the radio that he was aborting that run and returning straight to the pits.
“We saw immediately that we had a problem with the mounting of the upper front wishbone rear arm.”
Allison said the chassis has now been strengthened, which has increased its base weight by around 1kg. It has not had to complete a new crash test.
The team will resume testing tomorrow with Grosjean at the wheel of the repaired chassis 01. Allison added: “Of course, missing four days of testing is not ideal.
“We need mileage at this stage of the year, as does any other team. That said, there are reasons to remain optimistic. First of all, we completed many trouble-free laps in Jerez and gained a good understanding of the car.
“Also, some of the small issues we identified in Jerez needed to be fixed, and the parts were not available last week. On Thursday, the car will run with all the required redesigned parts. We?óÔé¼Ôäóre looking forward to being back on track.”
2012 F1 season
- 2012 F1 season Blu-Ray “Victorious Vettel” reviewed
- 2012 F1 season DVD “Victorious Vettel” reviewed
- New team radio reveals Vettel’s penalty protests
- The complete F1 Fanatic 2012 season review
- What F1 Fanatics thought of 2012: The year in polls
- The drivers and cars of 2012
- F1 Fanatic’s 50 article highlights of 2012
- 11 different Driver of the Weekend winners in 2012
- Who F1 Fanatic readers supported in 2012
- Fernando Alonso voted F1 Fanatic Driver of the Year
Browse all 2012 F1 season articles
Image ?é?® Lotus F1 Team/LAT