Rosberg: Mercedes can “annoy” leaders in 2012

F1 Fanatic round-up

Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, Barcelona, 2012

Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, Barcelona, 2012

In the round-up: Nico Rosberg says Mercedes will “annoy” the teams fighting for the lead this year.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Rosberg: Mercedes can annoy leaders (Autosport)

“It’s still going to be the teams from last year that we need to beat, but I think we have a good chance to annoy them a few times early in the season.”

BBC F1 analyst Gary Anderson on the upgraded Red Bull (BBC)

Video showing the rear of the upgraded RB8 (UK only).

Webber plays down RB8 changes (Sky)

“I suppose the thing that everyone’s obviously asking about is the changes we made to the car but I have to say the car was not massively different to the one I drove on Thursday.”

Ferrari look in turmoil as Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa are gagged (The Guardian)

“It was a particularly unpopular decision not just with the Italian but also the Spanish media; Alonso is mobbed whenever he is in action in his native Spain.”

New HRT is a step up, says Karthikeyan (Reuters)

“I’ve seen the car and it looks a lot better [than last year's]. We have a lot of experienced people in the team and everyone knows what they are doing. This is not a Mickey Mouse team. We are definitely in a better position than last year.”

Comment of the day

Nico Rosberg, Michael Schumacher, Mercedes W03 launch, Barcelona, 2012

There were many great suggestions for yesterday’s Caption Competition involving the two Mercedes drivers. And some of them didn’t include references to David Hasselhoff.

Among my favourites this week were suggestions from Chris, Robk23, JamieFranklinF1, Hey (bonus point for the Monty Python reference), Sam3110, Chris Gascoine and S.J.M.

But my favourite is the one which appears on the caption here, which was suggested by Plutoniumhunter.

The Caption Competition appeared on the site a little later than usual yesterday so if you’ve not had a chance to post your choice of caption yet head over there now and I may pick another selection of the best for tomorrow’s round-up.

From the forum

Site updates

I’ve been in discussion with F1 Fanatic’s hosts VPS.net about ways to improve the performance and stability of the site. To this end we will be performing a server move on Sunday night.

During this time you may notice your comments do not appear after they are posted, and possibly some interruptions in service. If so, my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

As usual I will post updates on the F1 Fanatic Twitter account.

Happy birthday!

No F1 Fanatic birthdays today.

On this day in F1

Denny Hulme won the 1972 South African Grand Prix for McLaren.

Emerson Fittipaldi and Peter Revson completed the podium at Kyalami.

Image ?é?® Jamey Price/F1 Fanatic

67 comments on Rosberg: Mercedes can “annoy” leaders in 2012

1. John H (@john-h) said on 4th March 2012, 0:16

I really don’t understand what Ferrari are doing at the moment. Gagging their drivers is the worst thing they could have done. Who’s idea was that? What a mess.

• Ferrari generally don’t like their drivers talking unless they have to do so (their social media policy is but one example). Telling them not to speak to an audience likely to grill them with questions they probably can’t answer is entirely in character for the Scuderia.

• John H (@john-h) said on 4th March 2012, 11:57

Indeed. Seems like quite a crucial time to keep the press on-side though. Perhaps it’s time the Ferrari PR department acknowlege that things have changed in the world… the current approach can’t be good for wider team morale (i.e. the designers, mechanics, etc… back at Maranello) especially in this 24hr news culture we now live in.

• Eggry (@eggry) said on 4th March 2012, 3:36

I think it’s typical Ferrari act.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 5th March 2012, 12:43

It was just for the last test, so I don’t really see a big problem. I think Ferrari of all teams is well aware of their duties to the media and the fans, but at a test session where they are trying to focus on putting their best foot forward in a few weeks? I’ve got no problem with them trying to compete, trying to do their best, and if a rare gagging is something they felt was prudent, so be it…they must have really felt the focus was necessary, and I’d rather see them fighting with Red Bulls and Macs all season than to have read a couple of more generic quotes from a media scrum.

2. JPedroCQF1 (@joao-pedro-cq) said on 4th March 2012, 0:40

I feel Ferrari are in a lot of trouble to start the season on pace. Gagging their drivers makes all of us thinking that they are desperate. Honestly, I’m really beggining to think that if they don’t catch Red Bull and McLaren this year and then stick to them in 2013, they won’t be able to fight for the title until 2014.

• Mike (@mike) said on 4th March 2012, 0:45

Actually, this series of rule changes has helped Red Bull a lot. I think it’s highly likely that they will be the team to beat until the next series of radical rule changes.

• timi (@timi) said on 4th March 2012, 1:20

Mike, I think that’s exactly what Pedro was getting at..

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 4th March 2012, 5:12

…and who’s to say Red Bull won’t be the team to beat once the new changes happen as well. Newey has said many times that he hates restrictions of current regulations, but relishes a totally new set of regs. After all, once they had the DDD, the RB5 was the fastest car of the current set of regs, and the basis they’ve built on to get to the RB8. I think this year & next year the other teams have a decent chance of competing with them, but something tells me the RB10 with the new 2014 regs could be another RB6 level ultra dominant car that’s a second a lap faster than the competition. Who knows though, by then maybe Ferrari will have achieved the impossible and hired Newey away from the UK, stranger things have happened!

3. Mike (@mike) said on 4th March 2012, 0:42

I get very sick of the UK only thing -.-

• You’re not the only one…. :-/

• Ohm said on 4th March 2012, 4:08

Yea..and I pay the tv license! I just dont live in the uk all the time! They should make it so that ppl create an account with a valid tv license number and are then able to watch all content from anywhere in the world.

• S.J.M (@sjm) said on 4th March 2012, 10:32

pretty sure there is ways round it, such as sites that trick the BBC servers into thinking you have a UK based IP (or something to that effect)

I know how it feels, ive been on non-UK based websites and not been able to view videos on them. It just happens that some of the time this site a UK Only video is linked. But if it was a different race series, NASCAR site for instance, it might be a USA only video.

Just saying ;)

• sumedh said on 4th March 2012, 11:14

Seconded.
      It plain sucks. It is due to these so many additional features that UK viewers get (Forum, videos on websites, etc.) that I fail to feel sorry for them while they are losing the free BBC service.
      People in other countries don’t get so many features no matter how willing they are to pay. The Sky deal is good in that sense, it will make the UK viewers no more special than the other viewers.

• John H (@john-h) said on 4th March 2012, 12:13

It plain sucks

We would happily give up all of these ‘features’ and no-adverts during races to be able to watch the actual F1 race free-to-air (just lights to flag will do). This is essentially what F1 on ITV before 2009 was in the UK anyway.

4. Younger Hamii (@younger-hamii) said on 4th March 2012, 0:46

Someone described to me what exactly does ‘gagging’, Is it not allowing them to do a particular thing?

5. sparkus88 (@sparkus88) said on 4th March 2012, 0:53

I’m guessing but red bull must have something significant around the rear wing because they instantly covered it up when the car stopped. They could just have easily covered the front wing.

6. ccweblog.com said on 4th March 2012, 1:27

‘New HRT is a step up’

HRT, give CaterhamF1 a run for their money and then talk to me, until then I am simply not interested..

7. timi (@timi) said on 4th March 2012, 1:28

This is quite a weird scenario but it’s been on my mind for quite a while now.

What would happen if a team were to apply for a design patent on a part of their car.

Let’s say at the beginning of the ’10 season RBR applied for a patent in their blown diffuser solution. It takes around a year for them to be granted said patent, would the FIA have stepped in for the ’11 season to prevent them being 2-3 seconds faster than the other teams? Or would everyone just have to put up with it until the next season if the FIA changed the technical directive?

What would be hilarious is if RBR’s blown diffuser got out developed and they came 3rd or 4th in the WCC and WDC, but then decided to sue for patent infringement by the teams that beat them. They then win the championships by default haha.

I’ve always wondered this, I know it’s weird, but I always think up crazy scenarios haha. I might have to start “Timi’s Wacky F1″ or something!!!

• Julian (@julian) said on 4th March 2012, 2:22

This should answer your question:

And on top of that, im pretty sure that if you patent a technology you have to specify what it is and how it works. This would allow the other teams to see how it work, they couldn’t copy it of course but they could alter it slightly and use their own solution.
      But I’m pretty sure I could be wrong on that lol

• timi (@timi) said on 4th March 2012, 2:44

You’re mainly right. It would all depend on what is changed and what is used.. And most importantly, the judge or court ruling on the case haha!!

And thanks so much for that link!! Very interesting. :D

• Bobdredds (@bobdredds) said on 4th March 2012, 16:42

Having a patent myself I can assure you that the process does not lend itself to the F1 situation. It would be a complete waste of time and the patent would most likely be irrelevant by the time it was granted. A normal patent process tales years.

8. ccweblog.com said on 4th March 2012, 1:31

P.s. and show up for a test session, until then you are a Mickey Mouse team.. ;-)

9. damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 4th March 2012, 2:42

Apologies for the plug, but as mentioned above, the final round of the Collantine Cup is scheduled to take place this morning. We have 4 drivers battling for the title and as you can imagine, it’s very serious stuff! :P

Click here for a preview/hype video. With any luck, we’ll be streaming the race somewhere online, so if you’re really bored at 11AM GMT, you might be able to watch 15 sad adults playing a video game as if it actually means something.

The contenders for the title are:

@Aus_Steve: 1st – 117 points
    @Magnificent-Geoffrey: 2nd – 109 points
    @ed24f1: 3rd – 103 points
    …and myself: 4th – 100 points

It’s going to be epic.

10. plutoniumhunter (@plutoniumhunter) said on 4th March 2012, 8:51

Great! My first COTD! :D Thanks Keith! Glad you liked the caption! :D

11. UNeedAFinn2Win said on 4th March 2012, 9:21

Has this been posted here yet ?
    Hellmund sues COTA partners
    Not nice, but that seems to be the US way to do business.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 4th March 2012, 9:45

Looks like we might be able to find out more about what they have been up to last fall this way. Certainly looks like the money partners squeezing Tavo out.

12. Euro Brun (@eurobrun) said on 4th March 2012, 12:23

“Mercedes can annoy leaders”
    – Michael is now so slow, he will annoy the leaders with his excessive blocking style when they come round to lap him

• Ken said on 4th March 2012, 12:54

Total BS, what you just said :)

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 5th March 2012, 12:56

Was thinking of a similar joke to make about them being backmarkers and therefore annoying…seriously though, I too hope they can annoy the leaders. After two years of being 4th in the WCC it would be great to see them at least be a strong 4th knocking on the door of 3rd, if not 3rd if Ferrari are struggling.

That said, Red Bull is starting more and more to sound formidable again, Mac hopefully will be giving them a run for their money, and then there’s the likes of Lotus to consider, who have shown pace in testing…I know…nothing to go by really, but for sure we can say that Lotus has not been on the bottom of the time sheets and might provide some trouble for Merc in their effort to annoy the leaders.

Hope it isn’t a year of Red Bull and then everyone else, but can see it being Red Bull and Mac and then everyone else, and even that would be better than last year.

Should be very interesting when NR points out that the first two races will be very different than conditions have been in testing, so much is to be revealed yet as to the teams’ relative positionings. And they are all dealing with less grip than last year due to the removal of EBD.

13. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 4th March 2012, 13:29

I know Webber isn’t one to get over-excited about things, but his views about the update coupled with the secrecy displayed in that BBC video do get you thinking ;)

14. Bobdredds (@bobdredds) said on 4th March 2012, 16:47

“Rosberg: Mercedes can “annoy” leaders in 2012.” No surprise there, Michael has been annoying people for years. I want to see them really **** of the leaders! :)

15. Fixy (@fixy) said on 4th March 2012, 19:57

Great caption by @plutoniumhunter!