New HRT F112 seen for the first time in Spain

2012 F1 cars

HRT have launched their 2012 F1 car, the F112, at the Circuit de Catalunya in Spain.

Narain Karthikeyan was at the wheel for the car’s first laps.

HRT did not manage to have the car pass its crash tests in time to be able to participate in pre-season testing, which concluded at the circuit on Sunday.

HRT F112 pictures

Here are the first pictures of the HRT F112:

2012 F1 cars

Browse all 2012 F1 cars articles

Image ?? HRT

106 comments on New HRT F112 seen for the first time in Spain

1. Really hope this is just the launch wing and they don’t turn up in Melbourne with it on the car. It is very basic.

Always had a soft spot for HRT even in their maiden season with Karun and Bruno. Wish them all the best.

• Dizzy said on 6th March 2012, 1:07

that is the wing they will run in melbourne & its actually not that basic & a very clever design.

Most others have the front wing flap with the additional winglet flaps built over the top of the flaps in a tower structure.

hrt have built the winglets into the main wing flap rather than putting them into a tower formation.

lotus have something a bit similar but larger.

• Yuri said on 6th March 2012, 1:07

I also hope that they use a different front wing on the first race.
      It’s sooooo simple.
      Simpler than the safety razor I use to shave my beard.

2. A Name said on 5th March 2012, 22:08

You cant polish a turd.

3. Joey-Poey (@joey-poey) said on 5th March 2012, 22:09

That livery is PRETTY. I hope they keep this scheme because it really distinguishes themselves and is a frankly very classy color combo.

4. nivek252 (@nivek252) said on 5th March 2012, 22:22

Strangely basic front wing elements, maybe HRT have caught on to something all the other teams have missed……………..i think not

5. SamC (@samc) said on 5th March 2012, 23:05

the side view really makes it look like someone too heavy’s sat in it and snapped it just in front of the drivers seat!

6. Ben (@dirtyscarab) said on 5th March 2012, 23:35

Really nice livery and in my opinion probably the 3rd nicest looking car on the grid this year (Behind the McLaren + RB8).

I did notice a lack of bargeboards + aero devices. Also looks like there’s no drs device attached to the rear wing which may suggest this is just a ‘plastic’ car similar to what Mclaren launched. Hopefully they’ll add to it before Oz.

7. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 5th March 2012, 23:51

I really like it! It’s great to see a bit more national identity (I’m seeing the red and gold as a tribute to the Spanish flag) in the sport.

The car looks incredibly basic, particularly the front wing. But I like that, it allows the gorgeous livery to stand out. That nice, chunky and round air inlet just speaks ‘cool’ to me.

They all look really happy to have made it to Barcelona and I couldn’t be happier for them. You could argue that it’s really not going to benefit them, but they told us they would get to Barcelona, and they did!

What a great little team.

8. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 6th March 2012, 0:55

I’ve got to say – HRT has one of the most stylish liveries I’ve seen in a long time. It might be a case of style over substance, but if they’ve going to come stone-cold last, at least they’re going to look good doing it.

9. Dizzy said on 6th March 2012, 1:08

there biggest problem is that they made the back end wider in order to run kers, however they were unable to actually be able to afford to buy/run kers.

this means they have the kers design comprimises without the actual benefit of kers.

10. christian said on 6th March 2012, 7:24

this car is what it would look like if iron man and hrt had a love child best looking car on the grid apart form the ugly sponsor on the rear wing

11. Toxic (@toxic) said on 6th March 2012, 8:23

I must admit that it looks very nice. Hopefully it won’t be as slow as last year. And that logo is so awesome. Best logo on the grid in my view.

12. kenneth Ntulume said on 6th March 2012, 8:56

After some careful study. I could conclude that HRT, is the second favorite team for MOST f1 enthusiast and a great uniter of all F1 fans.
    Wish an eagle eyed advertising firm spots this, and gives them a slice of there budget.

13. bearforce1 said on 6th March 2012, 9:03

Looks really nice.

Why couldn’t they make it to testing. Just one day after testing finishes they can run the car. It must be some reason other than the car not being ready. Sounds like they didn’t have the funds to go to the test maybe.

14. nemo87 (@nemo87) said on 6th March 2012, 9:09

much prefered last years livery (minus the cheesy YOUR LOGO HERE bits)

15. bosyber (@bosyber) said on 6th March 2012, 9:15

The first time I saw the car+livery the goldish looked like vomit green (reason for cream on the Lotus?) and I wasn’t impressed, but having seen more of it: I like the burgundy/maroon/red and gold combo, and the way it is used.

There could be more of it, with a bit less white (or sponsors? maybe later, I hope), and it reminds me of the pics @keithcollantine recently posted of new GP2 liveries, especially the airbox/engine cover. Those aren’t bad efforts.

Good that they got the car on track, already a slightly better preparation than last year. The front wing is the same as end of last years, but they took a long time to introduce that late in the season, and it was a big step to modern times for the team, I think.

As 2010 showed, set up will be a big part of getting a weekend nailed for this team and for Marussia, having the car shaken down means they can start doing set up right away in Melbourne.

I am looking forward to seeing them get the most out of this car.

Finally, congratulations to HRT for thinking of the environment: parts of that tub must have lasted lasted for three years now!