Vettel: ‘Money can motivate but it won’t make you happy’

F1 Fanatic round-up

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, 2011

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, 2011

In the round-up: Sebastian Vettel says he appreciates he’s “very fortunate” to be racing for a living.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Sebastian Vettel: ‘You need passion. Money will never make you happy’ (The Guardian)

“If you go to work every morning just because you need a cheque at the end of the month it’s not great. Money can be a motivation but it will never make you happy. Obviously, racing in F1, all of us are very fortunate because we’re doing something we loved as a child and now it’s our job ?ǣ and we earn good money. So for us, as drivers, it’s great. And when you’re successful it becomes even better.”

Marussia debut new car pending final crash test (Reuters)

Pat Symonds: “The component in question has actually passed an ‘unobserved’ crash test but has been performing inconsistently in the observed tests.”

Jenson Button believes new McLaren will challenge Red Bull’s F1 reign (The Guardian)

“Last year we had problems with the exhaust. We also had the problem that we just weren’t very fast, even when the exhaust did work. Maybe that was kept secret. But we just weren’t very fast.”

A quick catch-up (Joe Saward)

“David Campbell, the CVC-appointed head of Allsport Management, [has] left his role at Allsport management after just over a year. He had taken over to replace Patrick McNally.”

De la Rosa the new GPDA chairman (Autosport)

“The agreement we had at the end of last season was that if Rubens [Barrichello] would not be in Formula 1, then I would take over.”

Work without a break with Australian GP in sight (Ferrari)

Stefano Domenicali: “It?s obvious that we can?t be happy with how the test went considering or goals, but let?s not forget that the championship still has to start.”

Sky Sports in pole position to continue BBC F1 revolution (Daily Mail)

“From riding with one of four selected drivers, to an overview of the pit-lane (a first, we’re being told), a driver tracker, social media interaction via Twitter, and timing screen, Sky are set to dramatically change our Formula One viewing experience.”

March 5: On Barrichello, Andretti and Danica (IndyStar)

“As for meeting Barrichello, you?re certainly far more likely to have an encounter with him in [IndyCar]. I?ve been to a fair share of F1 races and still didn?t see some of the drivers in the paddock despite having the right credentials.”

Comment of the day

Mike reckons HRT have made little progress over the winter:

People are getting rather excited about this car, and I do support HRT strongly, but it is very, very similar to last years, in that most of the chassis is the same.

You can see that there are only minor changes made, the nose is new, however the front win is the same, along with most of the car. The rear wing has be redesigned. That?s good. And the billboard is gone.

Having said that, for HRT to have development on the bodywork at all is a very good sign for the health of the team.
Mike

From the forum

Site updates

Apologies for any confusion arising from the move to the new server yesterday.

During the move some users were briefly unable to see the new site. This caused some confusion as people mistakenly believed forum posts had been deleted.

There was a further problem which led to a number of comments that were posted yesterday being lost in the transfer. My apologies again for this oversight which should have been avoided.

The site is now up and running on its new server which will hopefully provide better stability and faster access.

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Bac!

On this day in F1

The rule requiring drivers to use both types of tyre compound during a race was introduced five years ago today.

Has it been a worthwhile addition to the sport? F1 Fanatic readers don’t seem to think so – 83% opposed the rule when we had a poll on it last year:

66 comments on Vettel: ‘Money can motivate but it won’t make you happy’

1. John H (@john-h) said on 6th March 2012, 9:17

I would just like to express my sadness that I won’t be watching qualifing at Melbourne this year due to not being able to justify getting Sky with my family costs and also trees (!) preventing me getting RTL using a dish. I guess we had it good for quite a long time here in the UK and now the reality of the free market has hit fanatics such as myself.

You may say I’m not a fanatic because I don’t pay, but when you have children and a mortgage and hanging on financially, those things come first. So be it. I’m still looking forward to James Allen on radio 5 so hopefully I can use my imagination to picture the action. I still have f1fanatic live too of course ;)

• OEL F1 (@oel-f1) said on 6th March 2012, 9:40

Sad to hear that, maybe Vettel should donate you some money to get Sky, after all money won’t make him happy! ;)

• snowman (@snowman) said on 6th March 2012, 9:58

@John H

Allen’s partner on radio 5 will be Jamie Alguersuari, to be announced later today so sounds good.

If you don’t mind breaking the rules there are a lot of good internet streams for Sky, Speed or RTL coverage of F1.

• Chalky (@chalky) said on 6th March 2012, 11:09

@john-h I’m with you too John H. I can’t justify the cost with all the other expenses I have.

• John H (@john-h) said on 6th March 2012, 12:40

@oel-f1 @Chalky @snowman

Thanks for the comments guys. Love the suggestion to ask Vettel if he can donate something! The news that DJ Alguersuari will be alongside James Allen sounds great, I always liked his attitude and intelligence in interviews the last couple of years.

Will give it a bash snowman although I fear there maybe more traffic than those streams are used to come Melbourne. I guess there’s more chance of finding a working one for quali than the race however. Either way, hopefully my circumstances will change next year and I can get a dish for 2013.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 6th March 2012, 13:21

John H…I believe it is highly honourable of you to put your family first, and therefore what goes around comes around. I think you will project that honourable lifestyle and attitude and goodness will come your way because of it, and you will sooner than later be back to being able to watch F1 live. Your kids are already rich for having an honourable Dad as a role model who puts them first.

2. McLarenFanJamm (@mclarenfanjamm) said on 6th March 2012, 11:31

Regarding the “on this day” snippet about the tyres, I really think that with the Pirelli tyres this is a completely un-necessary rule. Most of the teams/drivers will not be able to make a set of tyres last a full race distance, so there is no need to force ‘artificial’ pit-stops. If a team manages to get through a race on just 3 sets of ‘option’ tyres then well done to them. Does the rule enhance ‘the show’ (as Bernie likes to put it)? No, not really.

3. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 6th March 2012, 13:06

Crikey, people are getting really defensive about their own financial/work situations aren’t they?

He’s not having a go at anyone, just saying that if you put your mind to it you can be in a position to build a career doing something you enjoy. Simple as.

I enjoyed the interview with him. Made for a good read. He does have his head screwed on very well for someone 3 months younger than me. Long may it continue, though I expect that things will get tougher for him in the future.

4. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 6th March 2012, 13:11

Maybe that was kept secret. But we just weren’t very fast

Yes Jenson, It was a kept secret your team couldn’t challenge RedBull on a regular basis last year.

• Diogenes said on 6th March 2012, 17:00

Can’t wait until March 2013 when we find out what they really thought about the testing that just concluded :)