Alguersuari: Marko comments “absolutely not acceptable”

F1 Fanatic round-up

Helmut Marko, Jaime Alguersuari, Bahrain, 2010

Helmut Marko, Jaime Alguersuari, Bahrain, 2010

In the round-up: Jaime Alguersuari responds to Helmut Marko’s claim he wasn’t good enough to stay with Red Bull.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Helmut’s comments are ‘absolutely not acceptable’, fumes Alguersuari (Daily Mail)

“I respect the situation that they don’t want my work anymore, but what they’ve said is absolutely not acceptable. They said ‘we are good drivers, but we are not winners’. It doesn’t make sense if you give me a car that is not capable to be in the top ten.”

Montezemolo and the gap recorded by the Ferrari “I must do something about this situation very quickly” (La Gazzetta dello Sport)

“I hope that it is not true that we are going to suffer at the beginning, even though Alonso is always very objective. I would like to understand why and above all understand quickly, very quickly, what needs to be done.”

F1 Fanatic via Twitter

“Marussia say the MR01 has passed the last of the FIA crash tests and is ready to race.”

Bernie: Teams back Bahrain GP (Sky)

“It’s difficult to know exactly about the politics in their country or any of that part of the world now, as we can see. But the teams are all committed to be there, and will be there, and want to be there and like to be in Bahrain.”

Boullier: Lotus can close in on leaders (Autosport)

“What is very encouraging is that even if we believe strongly that they are ahead of us, then the gap last year to this year has been reduced so it shows we can catch up.”

How motor racing’s Frank Williams changed the face of Western sport (The Guardian)

“If Frank Williams ?ǣ now Sir Frank ?ǣ had never done anything else, he might be credited with the initiative that unplugged the geyser of Middle Eastern oil money which has transformed the world of international sport.”

Nicolas Hamilton: My bond with Dad suffered because of Lewis?s career. But he?s dedicated to me now (The Sun)

“Here, for the first time, the 19-year-old talks about the pain of missing out on his father’s attention while living in the shadow of Lewis’s brilliant rise up the racing ladder.”

Nicolas Hamilton via Twitter

“Don’t believe what you read in The Sun about my dad today, everything has been twisted.”

Formula 1?s madman and design genius (MotorSport)

“Colani proclaimed that his organic approach would render all other F1 cars antiquated overnight. Er… his overheated and lacked downforce, and would have to be gradually de-Colanised.”

Comment of the day

The new season is drawing ever closer but not everyone will be watching:

I would just like to express my sadness that I won?t be watching qualifying at Melbourne this year due to not being able to justify getting Sky with my family costs and also trees (!) preventing me getting RTL using a dish. I guess we had it good for quite a long time here in the UK and now the reality of the free market has hit fanatics such as myself.

You may say I?m not a fanatic because I don?t pay, but when you have children and a mortgage and hanging on financially, those things come first. So be it.

I?m still looking forward to James Allen on Radio 5 so hopefully I can use my imagination to picture the action. I still have F1 Fanatic Live too of course.
John H

From the forum

Site updates

F1 Fanatic aims to give good value to its advertisers while allowing visitors to read the site without having their visit spoiled by unnecessarily intrusive adverts.

To this end we have guidelines on what kinds of adverts are and aren’t acceptable. For example, ads should not auto-play sound.

If you see an ad that falls outside these guidelines, please let us know and we will have it taken down. Find more information here:

I know ads are not always popular with readers but without them the site cannot earn revenue. It would be impossible to keep F1 Fanatic going without it.

Some users have expressed an interest in paying a subscription in order to be able to browse the site without ads. I’d like to be able to offer this and I will look into offering it in future.

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Fahadalam007!

On this day in F1

Attempt to salvage something of the Prost team ran into difficulty ten years ago today. The FIA revealed that the business which had bought the Prost cars would not be able to enter the forthcoming season as entries were already closed.

In the end nothing came of the efforts to keep the outfit going and the team dropped out of Formula 1 entirely. It had previously existed as Ligier, who originally entered F1 in 1976.

127 comments on Alguersuari: Marko comments “absolutely not acceptable”

1. davros said on 7th March 2012, 7:32

Oh god I’m really not looking forward to James Allen on radio 5, he may well be the thing that separates me from any live coverage this year.

• TimG (@timg) said on 7th March 2012, 12:56

I’m fully intending to forego any live coverage of the non-BBC races this year – hearing the action without being able to see it just isn’t the same, and it tends to overshadow the delayed highlights later on.

In fact, I’ve already told my wife that I’m imposing a full media blackout on non-BBC race days – no radio or television news that might give away the result and I expect her to shield me from news websites which might display the result on their homepages. Also, no Sunday morning Skype calls from her Sky-equipped parents just in case her father says “good race, wasn’t it?”

I have said, however, she can inform me of any Likely Lads “match rained off”-type scenarios, just to put me out of my misery.

2. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 7th March 2012, 7:56

Marko isn’t the boss and therefore has people to keep happy, people who pay his wages.

He’s only managed to turn Vettel into a champion thus far and I think his move to ditch Buemi and Alguersuari was probably motivated by pressure he was feeling from above.

I’d love to see both Buemi and Alguersuari get another shot. Whether they’re worth it is another thing but it’s just too depressing to think their careers are already over.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 7th March 2012, 8:06

Yeah, they are still pretty young and were solid, if unspectacular. Hulkenberg got another shot, so I’m sure that sometime they’ll get one as well.

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 7th March 2012, 13:01

I’d like to think so @david-a Arguably it’s gonna be harder for Alguersuari to land a seat as he’s longer associated with any F1 team unlike Buemi, plus I don’t think he has a drive anywhere this year, for anything.

3. BasCB (@bascb) said on 7th March 2012, 8:02

Happy Birthday @Fahadalam007

4. Girts (@girts) said on 7th March 2012, 8:33

I’m ready to pay subscription and still see some ads on the site. And no, I’m not some rich snob who doesn’t know where to put his money.

Look at Autosport. It’s a serious, established magazine but there are still some ads on its website. And you get only the news part for free, you need to pay for analysis, detailed results, statistics etc. – basically, all the things that you get for free on F1F. Yes, Autosport employ a bunch of reporters who go to all races and have good contacts, which is their strength. Then again, they don’t have COTD, caption competitions, quizzes, contests etc. so, in my view, Autosport (including the part you have to subscribe to!) and F1F are pretty equal in terms of quality.

The bottom line is that we shouldn’t expect that we’ll always get high quality F1 stuff for free and without cooperating with the supporters, that is, having to look at ads. It might have been the case for some time but that model just ain’t sustainable.

5. Helmut is still infatuated by Vettel’s two world championships so of course he’ll say that Buemi and Alguersuari aren’t winners. I don’t agree with him, so I’ll say well done Jaime for standing up to him.

At the COTD – Totally agree with you John H. If you can’t afford it, then you can’t afford it, but it doesn’t make you any less of an F1Fanatic.

I’m quite lucky that my brother has his own place now, bought a Virgin Box and the Sky F1 channel so I have somewhere to watch live races. If it wasn’t for that, I don’t know what I would’ve done.

6. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 7th March 2012, 11:02

To be honest, I think Alguersuari needs to move on a little bit. Yes, he was dumped in a very cruel way. Yes, the best that can be said about Helmut Marko’s comments on his performances is that they were blunt. But it’s nothing that we didn’t already know, and complaining about it isn’t going to change anything. We’re ten days out from the new season – Toro Rosso aren’t suddenly going to see the error of their ways and reinstate him. Marko isn’t suddenly going to be fired. And getting the support of fans who already dislike Red Bull’s driver policies isn’t going to be worth much at all when Jaime isn’t racing. Alguersuari needs to be concentrating on getting a drive for 2013, not what was said in 2011. If Toro Rosso really were mistaken in firing him, it will soon show, and Alguersuari should have no trouble securing a decent race seat for next year. But in the meantime, there is no use crying over spilt milk.

7. Andy (@turbof1) said on 7th March 2012, 13:07

Wasn’t Marko the same person who blamed Webber for the 2010 Turkish accident, while video footage showed the contrary? Wow, this guy is really something else, and I don’t mean that in a positive way.

8. Shimks (@shimks) said on 7th March 2012, 13:57

Helmut Marko has a negative effect on Red Bull’s image. They should get rid.

9. James (@jamesf1) said on 7th March 2012, 15:31

COTD – all is not lost. The Beeb will at least be showing half of the races live, with extended highlights of the others, of which a fair number are the flyaway races, so will be on in the afternoon. I know it wont be the same as watching it live, which I’m lucky to be doing, but it’s not all doom and gloom!

5live have an excellent line up this year, and there are many great forums/websites, such as this one, to discuss and read up on F1 related goodness.

10. The Limit said on 7th March 2012, 17:20

I feel sorry for Jaime. Helmut Marko’s comments are unnecessary and pointless considering the fact, as Jaime pointed out, the last year’s Toro Rosso was at best a midpack chassis. As a team, they have won one grands prix with Vettel, and that was in the rain at Monza three and a half years ago. Toro Rosso themselves don’t come across as winners, and lets be honest here, they just make up the numbers and are a stepping stone to the Red Bull team.
    As others have mentioned, much has been made of Vettel’s success and his climbing the ranks of Red Bull’s youth program. However, think of the drivers since 2005 Red Bull have churned through and how many have succeeded. Sebastien Vettel is the only one! When they tried an American driver they could only muster Scott Speed, and that was a project that deserved someone getting fired.
    Factor into the equation that Jaime has taken his dropping like a man unlike others and it makes Helmut Marko look all the more like a prat doesn’t it?

11. Bernard (@bernard) said on 7th March 2012, 18:20

I appreciate the topic of course but The Sun wouldn’t be worthy of quoting even if it was the last lie ridden rag on the planet.

12. il Leone said on 7th March 2012, 19:48

Marko is a one-man person, if a driver threatens Vettel, he gets all protective like he is his son. I admire Jaime, and I thought he was worthy of an RBR ’13 seat.

13. OOliver said on 8th March 2012, 10:50

When you look at the generation Marko drove with, and you listen to some of the quotes coming from drivers of that generation, should his comments even surprise, or be taken seriously?

Only when Red/Torro/Bull have a fall out with their drivers that they start making outlandish comments, and then, their comments are usually malicious.

14. Nick said on 9th March 2012, 9:52

It doesn’t take a genius to see that Marko is a twonk, in the nicest possible way, of course.