Alexander Rossi has been appointed test driver at Caterham.
The American driver will drive for the team in some Friday practice sessions during the season.
Rossi will race in Formula Renault 3.5 this year with Arden Caterham team. He finished third in the championship last year behind champion Robert Wickens and Jean-Eric Vergne.
Giedo van der Garde has already been appointed the team’s official reserve driver, but competing in GP2 will leave him unable to participate in some F1 practice sessions.
Rossi said: “My goal to be in Formula One is one step closer after being signed as test driver for Caterham F1 Team.
“I want to thank Tony Fernandes, Kamarudin Meranun and Riad Asmat for their trust in me and long term commitment to my career. The Caterham F1 Team support, coupled with the efforts of my management and investors, has brought my goal of reaching an F1 race seat one step closer.
“In the past year I have spent time in Hingham at the factory and built solid relationships right across the team.
“I feel really comfortable with everyone and am looking forward to growing as a professional with Caterham and acquiring as much experience as possible from Friday Practice, the F1 simulator and time with the team.”
2012 F1 season
- 2012 F1 season Blu-Ray “Victorious Vettel” reviewed
- 2012 F1 season DVD “Victorious Vettel” reviewed
- New team radio reveals Vettel’s penalty protests
- The complete F1 Fanatic 2012 season review
- What F1 Fanatics thought of 2012: The year in polls
- The drivers and cars of 2012
- F1 Fanatic’s 50 article highlights of 2012
- 11 different Driver of the Weekend winners in 2012
- Who F1 Fanatic readers supported in 2012
- Fernando Alonso voted F1 Fanatic Driver of the Year
Browse all 2012 F1 season articles
Image ?é?® Team Lotus/LAT